fashion opportunities in JAPAN

YLI

hey

firstly, id like to say awesome site and forum ive been following it for over a year but just reading and not posting.

im a very ambitous 18 yr old who is doing fashion design next year. i am currently applying for a travel grant to japan to persue my intrest in fashion which may include an intership, work experience or study. (currently im in australia)

i do not see myself staying in japan for long ie less than 2-3 months but i want to get everything i can out of such a short time.

does anybody know any insitutions/shops/design houses worth contacting? as i have to provide some detail of my proposed agenda before i can apply.

any input is appreciated

thanks in advance

Yang

Can you speak fluent/business level Japanese? If not, your chances are going to be very slim. Sadly, despite the fact that Japan is the second largest world economy, the majority of Japanese can't speak at an adaquate level of English proficiency. This will be your biggest hurdle. Second, is the fact that you still haven't started your classes. Most internships will be for sophmore/junior level students. In addition, only recently in the last 4-5 years has the concept of an internship taken hold in Japan and only very progressive companies (i.e. multi-national companies) have started to offer opportunities. Finally, since you'll only be here for 2-3 months, you'll either have to take a vistor's VISA, meaning you won't be able to earn money for your internship (at least legally), or have a company sponsor you under a cultural VISA. Your best bet is checking recruiting portions of websites of multi-national conglomerates, i.e. LVMH, etc., if you don't already have direct personal connections. Best of luck.

thanks djrajio,

yeh i dont speak fluent japanese.

the grant im appling for is a travel grant donated by mr harhisa handa and it is only availble to students coming out of highschool going into univeristy and only for travel to japan.

its difficult because in the process of choosing a winner for the grant they want a program of study for ur intended trip. anyway thanks for your help and ill check out some big name sites .

thanksful for any further information

yang