Hotels in NYC in January 2005

Kelly

I am travelling to NYC from Australia with a group of friends from january 19 to 30 , 2005.

Any advice on hotels ?

We want proper hotels , not super budget backpackers, but cant afford a fortune per night because we are staying for so many nights ?

The most unrealistic member of the group is dreaming of staying in one of those 'W' hotels.

i think that is probably out of our price range but we do want to be right in the heart of things.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

"Have an eye for opportunity. When it knocks, let it in. But it's not just about keeping doors open - sometimes it pays to close them on certain fingers. And if another door doesn't open, pick the lock."

Try checkin out the Ameritania Hotel on 54th & B'way...Apparently it runs at about 95 a night.

I train at the gym 3 doors down and i've checked the lobby and it looks pretty sweet..not a bad area if you want 5th ave big name stores...

Like Dolo said Holiday Inn @ Lafayette would be a good choice...nice position

P.S- Be prepared for the cold...i lived in Melbourne for 2 winters and everybody there was complaining about the weather whilst i was rollin in a tee....flippin freezin in Jan so be very very prepared!!!

one life

yeah dude. go with teh chelsea hotel. that place is eclectic to the max.

and who wouldn't want to stay in the place that Sid Vicious stabbed his girlfrind to death! ROCK ON!!

the Hudson Hotel seems cool though too: [url=" http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/home_search.html?hudson"] <a href="http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/home_search.html?hudson" target="_blank">http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/home_search.html?hudson</a>

there's anothe rone called the '47' or something.. anybody know what i'm talkin about?? it's on 47th street i think.. but the hotel is named after the street it's on.. done by the same guy that did the 'hudson hotel'.

just got back from NY and was lucky to stay with friends.. but we did spend one night at the Grammercy Hotel which was not bad and resonably priced (JFK and others use to live there) we wanted to stay at 60 Thompson street as it is a little more downtown but alas in fashion week everything is booked out.. oh we did call 'W' at union square but oh my god it was like $400 a night !!!! The only problem i have with the hudson, though it is very chic is that is it so far uptown... There is the new surface mag hotel that hasn't opened yet and has already changed it's name to 'hotel on rivington' ... this and the maritime hotel have the best locations. the maritime is cool with the bar downstairs, hiro or even the rooftop throw some good parties.

• 2 weeks later...

i've done my share of business stayovers (in 2003 i had more hotel nights in NYC than in my own house) and against the opinions of previous speaker, hotel chelsea isn't worth the money unless you're into the rock n' roll mythology of the place

my favourite is 60 thompson where i stay regularly as service and location is excellent -- hence i've noticed the rates change depending on availability and i've paid everything between 215-300 (with complimentary upgrade). booking directly from the hotel is always cheapest, btw.

as for w - is not worth the money. in my opinion, w in the midtown locations are dumps. union sq and time sq locations may be much talked about - but in the end hotel mercer is better place by miles. mercer will cost you around 350 but worth every penny.

i stayed at the maritime this summer and was quite disappointed. i was literally sickened by the petit bourgeoisie overdrive of the lounge covered in josef frank. also, the service was below par. asking about what kind of breakfast they served in the botega, the girl at the desk said "what do i know, i live in nyc - i don't eat at hotels". eh, but you're working at one. there's no concierge available either, so no leverage when making table reservations at the spice market ... although they apply a democratic flatrate for all their rooms at 245 usd (which in my case meant i had the room next to a rapper-turned-actor with the nasty habit of falling asleep to the tv on top volume), i'd make the gansevoort just a few blocks down the better choice, hey they have a pool.

the best "budget" bet would be the old ian schrager hotels that now goes by the name the morgan group. hudson, morgans and royalton -- they all offer last minute deals or packages on their website ianschrager.com. 195 usd per night seems to be the deal in all cases for the last 2-3 years. for the same rate, you can also get hold of soho/tribeca grand but these two offer smaller rooms, useless service (the hilton concept where even a sneaze will cost you money) and the bars are filled with the tunnel and bridges crowd.

the other one-shop boutique hotels may also run bargains. the alex with the newly opened riingo restaurant curated by marcus samuelson of aquavit is probably around the same rack rates. the library, chambers have all seen better days. a word of caution (or a waiver, rather) as i have not stayed at any of the last three. A last note - the member-only club Soho House offer their smallest room for non-members, but I have no clue what non-members are paying -- but you'll have to discount the cost of very good atmosphere and being around semi-interesting people in a very approachable climate.

• 2 weeks later...

i always recommend the howard johnsons for friends coming in for a visit. it's cheap, next to the subway and hundreds of shops/bars/restaurants on the lower east side. you'll be out all day/night while you're here, so do you really care about staying at the most fabulous hotel? it's up to you.

http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels_reservations/property/52571