Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

That is actually pretty cool. Like flash said, I'm guessing that they have X denim they made, and then developed a process to put it through that in their opinion makes it look/feel/fade like X denim was shelved for 100 years. 

I would really really really like to know what that process entails...

Per Hiro:

"Its fading is still an unknown quantity, but I'm sure it would be different color. This time machine project is just like "back to the future"! I think it will be hard to understand but it is not a joke and it is not the dishonesty of a charlatan! I think all the people having O.A-XX denim will understand a difference. You can do it ;) "

Unfortunately it won't be on an 02 cut however, just the 01, whereas I was hoping to get something new/slimmer for my next pair. Hell, I might just get it anyway and see how it fades. Seems to be a bit more "filmy" which I kinda dig

Edited by aho

Well I think I might be interested in these, mainly to compare the 01 and 02 cuts and to see how both denims fade differently.

Eagerly awaiting more details, what do you mean by "filmy" aho? The kind of sheen that the "time project denim" has?

The molecular structure in that first image suggests to me that they've altered something chemically with this fabric; maybe in the dyeing process, or in how the cotton is processed before weaving.

In fact, the chem structure diagram is of indigo (C16H10N2O2):

Indigo_structure.jpg

But as I understand, indigo generally has two extra hydrogen molecules attached to the free nitrogen (and occasionally oxygen) at either side. I wonder if there's been some manipulation of these hydrogens, as they would be the easiest to pull off without totally destabilizing the molecule. I'd guess that whatever they've done has artificially aged the indigo so as to replicate 100 years of chemical degradation. Who knows till they release any more info!

Edited by chicote

Well they call it the "NOS finish", so perhaps it is rapidly oxidized using nitrous oxide (N2O, sometimes called NOS) at a somewhat high temperature? My main guess would be that some of the hydrogens on the edges of the molecule would be replaced with OH groups, potentially shifting the color a bit.

Really a shot in the dark here though, my chemistry knowledge is atrocious.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've posted, but now that life is sort of settling down again, I've found time to devote to jeans pictures!

I'll post more about that in the DWC thread/forum

These are my OA02XXs from earlier this year after a wash! I've actually lost count with the washes... But it's usually every 3-4 weeks when they start feeling nasty.

2B8Xp6g.jpgzvubNyd.jpgxjBboz2.jpgBIvzF4e.jpgThkMeMd.jpg?13IiAneX.jpgcYzz5zn.jpg4Aj2j3N.jpg

And fit pics in the new apartment!

NGqczCa.jpgqWehQFI.jpg

I'm really happy with these still. I think they're turning out amazing, and they're still the most comfortable, best fitting thing I own!

Your OA02XX's look great Zach, I'm glad to see someone else rocking a pair.

Mine are almost in need of another crotch repair, I think this time I might send them off somewhere to have them redone.

The OA fabric really reacts well with frequent washing, gave mine a wash a couple weeks ago and liked the way they looked even more.

I'm really interested in the new processed denim they have coming out, and I think I could pull off the 01 cut. We'll see once they release more info!

Zach, I see those are a sz 33. What is your standard size in most denim? Trying to be sure about sizing of these before purchasing . Still hard for me to grasp it is recommended to buy these two sizes up.

Isaylor, I would follow the guide and recommendation of going two sizes up.

I'm typically somewhere around a 36 in the majority of jeans that I own, I purchased my OA02XX's in a size 38.

They measured out to 38 pre-wash, put them in the machine and they shrunk down to somewhere near 34.

The OA denim shrinks a lot!

I think the only main difference is that the XX version has back pocket rivets, but all the other details are the same.

Here's the link to some more photos of the OA02-1015: http://ooeyofukuten.blogspot.jp/2015/10/oa02-1015.html

Also looks like they have some photos of their new denim process on the blog: http://ooeyofukuten.blogspot.jp/2015/10/oa01xx-105560-years-nos-finish.html

I know I don't need more jeans but I'm very tempted to see how they fade compared to the regular OA denim!

OA01-1055-8.jpg

OA01-1055-9.jpg

Zach, I see those are a sz 33. What is your standard size in most denim? Trying to be sure about sizing of these before purchasing . Still hard for me to grasp it is recommended to buy these two sizes up.

Yeah my waist (when I'm not inhaling food and stressing) is around 31.5. I went up 2 sizes along with Broark. They shrink from the tagged size.

WTF?? I just tried to pick up the new OA02-1015 and they are already sold out in the 32. I have been waiting 6 mo and they were just released this morning as far as I know. They must make 3 pairs in each size. I am so pissed, been watching this 4x day for 6 months!

Keep an eye on the website too as it happened to me last time they released the OA02 - I checked first day they released and wanted 32 but had sold out so went for the 31 but checked a week later and they had stock again.