home-made jeans

rodeo bill

Thanks Raw! It's 2 bills to get a servo put on at globe. I might as well tear it down and see what I can do before I give up on it.

Pull it apart (there's only 3 moving parts inside), strip and regrease everything, see if the cork needs to be replaced.  Look for a smaller pulley too.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, i recently started messsing around with my gfs sewing machine. ive made a few bags and a pair of trousers but im itching to make a pair of jeans. the pants i made were based off a pair of jeans i like but the pattern just didn't just didn't work.

i was hoping someone on here could suggest a pattern for modern pair of slim straight jeans. i live in nyc so i am going to go to the garment district tomorrow to find some but hope to get reviews on whats good or not. plan on using this dark blue denim with a yellow selvedge line I found in my neighborhood but the edges are still frayed. seems to be like that on most denim i find in these small fabric stores. 

• 1 month later...

It's not home-made jeans, so I didn't post it over here, but I just wrote a (fairly) long post in the jeans jackets thread about a project I'm working on. There's very little going on in raw denim for women, and not what I'm looking for in a jacket, so I'm making it myself. Going for a very feminine fit, but trying to preserve some of the classic features. Would love to hear some thoughts!

made some 16oz jeans

3bS71D4l.jpg

selvedge on fly extension and overlocked on buttonhole flap - i thought this detail was nice on the pair of Triple Works that I own.

YFjf0HQl.jpg

wanted to wear them before i put the belt loops on. 

the denim stacks nicely and retains its shape quite a bit.

0R2JyZrl.jpg

after belt loops and rivets.

aBOac0nl.jpg

kvUJXUtl.jpg

xYTNSXDl.jpg

tilted coin pocket with peekaboo selvedge

LUyFnWWl.jpg

oFA0M21l.jpg

starting to fade in small spots on second day of wear. 

aHIlL1ul.jpg

hStoL2nl.jpg

went with red inseam and red hems to match the selvedge

I've been sewing quite a bit recently and just finished my first project with raw denim. I made this bracelet for my girlfriend using 3sixteen's mainline 14.5oz denim from Kuroki Mills.

10540260_273771312825923_1110684977_n.jp

10549790_496073583862408_1327581243_n.jp

Edited by nutusufu

I've been sewing quite a bit recently and finally worked my way up to my first raw denim project. Learning to work with raw denim has been my goal from the start so I feel like I've reached a serious milestone.

For my first major denim project I made this raw, selvedge denim shirt using my Bernina Record 830 (70's). The fabric is a 10 oz. black warp raw denim with red line selvedge ID. I decided to go with a pseudo-henley design since I only had 2 yds. of fabric. The collar choice is inspired by my recent fascination with kimonos and noragis, and is intended to stand out.

Overall I am very pleased with the construction, details and fit of this piece. I know this may be a bit over the top for some people but I love the thing. 

FULL PICTURE ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/sZm1L

9hN0GYA.jpg?1

mPkSZje.jpg

uyqzoST.jpg

7DgQiwp.jpg

I've been sewing quite a bit recently and just finished my first project with raw denim. I made this bracelet for my girlfriend using 3sixteen's mainline 14.5oz denim from Kuroki Mills.

Nutusufu,  I swear I saw this bracelet on Instagram recently.  Do I follow you on there???  Are you Nutusufu on Instagram?  That name is not ringing any bells...  Maybe I just saw it under the #denim?

That's also a killer shirt!!!  Love the collar.

Edited by JohnWilkesHuth

So I've been gone for a while (Kitchen Remodel) and I'm really glad to see this thread getting some more action.  Once raWorkshop went legit (I can't believe how hard that guy works) the posts became few and far between.  I've also been sourcing some heavy duty used equipment and I wasn't really sure if my jeans "qualify" as home-made anymore...  But until I blow out the patterns and actually sell a pair (Pipe Dream) I guess I'll keep posting in here.    I'm still single needle stitching everything on my Pfaff (Except for the Keyholes).  Speaking of which.

1.  After two months of sourcing/engineering this baby is now in my basement and running!  It had a 3 phase motor that was removed and it was being run by the Amish on a Gas Powered Drive Shaft.  Now it has a new Single Phase 110 continuous run motor, no Clutch, no Pedal.  Just turn it on and push go.   (Reece S-100 Keyhole Eyelet Machine)

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

Lets just hope I can keep it up and running!!!!!  I had to remove the machine and curry it down separate just to get it in my basement.  So from now on this is the only part of my jeans that's not really "Home-Made".

Edited by JohnWilkesHuth

I thought I would post some fade photos of my second pair now that I've been wearing them for a few months.

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

The Cuyahoga River in Downtown Cleveland.  

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

I made a leather wallet chain.

Nutusufu I also made a bracelet out of left over belt loop.  I just twisted it twice and zigzag stitched it closed.  I wrap it around my wrist like a rubber band.

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

made some 16oz jeans

3bS71D4l.jpg

selvedge on fly extension and overlocked on buttonhole flap - i thought this detail was nice on the pair of Triple Works that I own.

YFjf0HQl.jpg

wanted to wear them before i put the belt loops on. 

the denim stacks nicely and retains its shape quite a bit.

0R2JyZrl.jpg

after belt loops and rivets.

aBOac0nl.jpg

kvUJXUtl.jpg

xYTNSXDl.jpg

tilted coin pocket with peekaboo selvedge

LUyFnWWl.jpg

oFA0M21l.jpg

starting to fade in small spots on second day of wear. 

aHIlL1ul.jpg

hStoL2nl.jpg

went with red inseam and red hems to match the selvedge

These Look great!  I like how most of us just reverse stitch on the back pockets and on the belt loops (Home-Made Single Needle Obviously).  I actually like the look of that better than a bar tack, well that and I'm flat broke after buying that Keyhole machine, so I plan to continue back stitching these areas until I see a need to switch.  So far my Back Stitches have held up just fine in some pretty high wear areas.

Edited by JohnWilkesHuth

Thought I would share my one and only blow out so far.  I know why this happened...  I forgot to check my bobbin on this long inseam stitch and it ran out half way through the stitch...  I did pull out all the stitches and re-do it but I think I accidentally cut into the denim as I was ripping the seam...  So I just zigzagged over it with some blue thread.  You can barely tell when I'm wearing them. 

image-5.jpeg

OK so I was on my iPhone and my fat fingers accidentally down voted this post.  Why can't I change my vote?  I was trying to up vote it?  Sorry for that Nutusufu.

I've been sewing quite a bit recently and finally worked my way up to my first raw denim project. Learning to work with raw denim has been my goal from the start so I feel like I've reached a serious milestone.

For my first major denim project I made this raw, selvedge denim shirt using my Bernina Record 830 (70's). The fabric is a 10 oz. black warp raw denim with red line selvedge ID. I decided to go with a pseudo-henley design since I only had 2 yds. of fabric. The collar choice is inspired by my recent fascination with kimonos and noragis, and is intended to stand out.

Overall I am very pleased with the construction, details and fit of this piece. I know this may be a bit over the top for some people but I love the thing. 

FULL PICTURE ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/sZm1L

9hN0GYA.jpg?1

mPkSZje.jpg

uyqzoST.jpg

7DgQiwp.jpg

awesome dude! nice one. you should start one-man brand

JohnWilkesHuth,

I am on instagram, iamzqp is my handle there.

I like your multi-wrap bracelet idea. I'm going to have to do my own interpretation of that.

While I wait to receive my order for the first production round of denim shirts, l am working on finalizing the details on my Japanese denim shirt and trying my hand at pattern grading to provide different sizes.

Lots of other projects in the works as well so I will be updating this thread regularly.

Sweet projects!  I want to make a denim/chambray shirt and was wondering if anyone knew of a good men's work shirt pattern to use.  I was hoping for something slightly fitted, but so far all the patterns I have found have been super billowy and 90's looking.  

Sweet projects!  I want to make a denim/chambray shirt and was wondering if anyone knew of a good men's work shirt pattern to use.  I was hoping for something slightly fitted, but so far all the patterns I have found have been super billowy and 90's looking.  

I just got this shirt pattern.

Very well put together. Confusing, but good. 

https://www.colettepatterns.com/sewing/negroni

Cool! Thanks! I've been sewing for a while, have never attempted clothing, and feel pretty ignorant of where to get quality patterns.  I had been looking at this other pattern too. 

http://www.hotpatterns.com/hp-2002-mr-h-p-coal-iron-railroad-company-shirt/

that one does look pretty decent aswell.

it is probably better suited for what you're looking for.

i have had to alter this pattern a lot to make it denim friendly

• 3 weeks later...

ALBUM

I’ve been a raw denim enthusiast for a few years now and have been unable to find any solid options for a raw denim popover. I decided to take up sewing a year ago in order to learn how to work with this notoriously tough fabric and ultimately create the ideas I had in my head.

The Eastern is the final iteration of my selvedge raw denim popover. This is an all original design featuring a slim fit throughout the body, an Oriental influenced shawl collar and sleeves that can be cuffed to expose the selvedge. The pleated breast pocket is inspired by numerous repro focused brands like Mister Freedom and Rising Sun & Co.

This fabric is a 9.5 oz indigo warp/white weft Japanese denim with a pink selvedge ID . I tried my best to capture how incredibly slubby and hairy it is. Starch and a tight weave let the shirt crease nicely, so you can expect some excellent pit combs.

My construction has improved significantly. With the first shirt design I learned that strong shoulder seams are absolutely crucial, especially with denim as it is prone to fraying. Therefore, all of the structural seams have been felled for added strength and a smooth interior.

I’m excited to finally make these available at my online shop in three sizes, but this first run will be very limited. I have gained an obsession for fine fabrics through this hobby, so subsequent runs will use a variety of quality denim and chambray.

Shop Link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/QuinnsRawGoods/

zS3qRtP.jpg?1

8YAJGJQ.jpg?1

JVP8lJy.jpg?1

FULL ALBUM HERE

Thank you Cucoo. Check out some of the fabrics I will be releasing this shirt in: 

928324_319242894921123_258042092_n.jpg

From Left to Right:

-10 oz indigo denim from Kaihara

-5 oz brown slub chambray

-5 oz indigo slub chambray

-5.5 oz Multi-colored nep indigo chambray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made another denim shirt using a super dark indigo denim from Kaihara Mills. It is 10 oz. with a red line selvedge ID and should yield some nice high contrast fades in the shoulders.

ihlr3kW.jpg?1

Cuffing the sleeves exposes the selvedge.

LEOBnP9.jpg?1

FULL ALBUM

Edited by nutusufu

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of evo on my first denim shirt made from 10oz. black warp denim.

It has about 2 months effective wear on it with 2 soaks and 1 machine wash. I’ve worn this fairly hard while camping, hiking and working. Shortly after the first post I added the triangular finishing piece to clean up the collar.

This project taught me a great deal about denim garment construction and helped me come up with the techniques needed to build a much stronger shirt, my latest design for the Eastern. That said, I’ve come to love the flaws including the hole in the left shoulder. Overall, I’m pleased with how much this black denim has faded and the way this shirt has evolved.

FULL ALBUM

uJbXOPy.jpg

RbiZwp6.jpg

Edited by nutusufu