canada :: ottawa :: general

charxchar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm from there and frequently fly back there...

Shopping...not the best but not too too bad...sort of...

Hit up: Holt Renfrew on Sparks St., Schad blu and Schad on sussex(same owners. right beside each other...its on Sussex)

downtown doesnt have much high end clothing besides those boutiques and Holt renfrew

Bars: Social right beside Schad is a good lounge and thats about alli know besides the clubs which are horrible...

Restaurants: Kinki is a good place for sushi, Social is a restaurant by day and isnt too too bad...

EVERYTHING I LISTED IS DOWNTOWN

Fashion is Art

• 7 years later...

Although Ottawa is something of a cultural wasteland, it is at least scenic. It's going to be pretty bad weather, tomorrow, but walking along the Canal is relaxing. The tulip festival is on, which means that there are tulips and nearly as many tourists. I can't think of any particularly good shopping, other than what's been said, but that's partly because I haven't shopped here in a long time. There are some good places to eat, though. Right at the top of the list is Atelier, on Rochester (of all places). It's not open Monday, and it might be difficult to get in, but it is by far the best restaurant around. If you like pho, Somerset Street has the highest concentration of restaurants I have ever seen (there's a corner with three of the same same place, owned by the same guy), and I have been to them all. I would recommend Pho Bo Ga, on the North corner of the intersection with Lebreton. It's more expensive, and busier than any other place, but the quality is also higher. If there is too long a line, you could try its adjacent sister, The New Pho Bo Ga LA. Those will be open on Monday, late, too. As far as after hours stuff goes, there isn't much. The Byward Market, north-east of Downtown, has most of the bars and clubs, but variety is limited. Basically, you've got your really awful bro-centric places, playing top 40s, your diverse-crowd places, playing top 40s, your country places, and the odd, artsy, chick with guitar kind of places. Although its never been a hit with me, because of its lack of edge, Zaphods is a popular Monday destination for people in there early-to-mid twenties. Music is hit and miss, but Monday is electronic night, and having never been on Monday, I couldn't say what that's like. I've heard good things about the Mercury Lounge, which is this three story, but separated, possibly gay bar and club. It seems to cater to a slightly older crowd, in general. I hope that helps.

Oh, were accommodations hard to get? I study in Montreal, and it's much more interesting. There's solid shopping, tons of great restaurants, and the night life has a number of quality venues, too. That said, Ottawa being my home, I still like it more. I'm something of a homebody, so the general lack of excitement suits me just fine, most of the time. If you're going to be here a few days, you could take in the National Gallery, if you're into that sort of thing. It's got a pretty good collection, especially of Impressionism onwards. Obviously, Canadian art is the largest feature, and worth checking out, but I get tired of landscapes and church paintings after a while. Also, because you're here longer, you can check out some other places to eat. Along Preston, which is mostly Little Italy, there is are number of nice places. Giovanni's is a high end, former Mafia hangout, with traditional fair. A little ways north is La Favorita, which is a delicious, high-end pizza place. For a casual slice though, I'd recommend Preston Pizza, just south of Somerset (China Town). Also on Preston is my favourite shawarma place, Preston Shawarma — just don't order the large, which is absolutely giant. All this information is somewhat subject to where you're staying. There's lots of little places along the north of Bank, entering Downtown. Elgin, one of the major Downtown streets, has a number of casual bars, many of them currently acting as gatherings for the Playoffs. The only one I have distinct memories of, though, is Oz, which is a martini bar and tapas place, at the intersection of Elgin with Gladstone. It's has a nice, low key vibe, and an interesting menu. Finally, in the heart of Downtown, on Slater,  is Suisha gardens, which is one of the more spectacular (in the literal sense) restaurants. Upstairs, there is a floating sushi bar, but downstairs there are little cabins for other Japanese fair. It even has a little stream running through it! I'm not a sushi guy, but the rest of the menu was very nice, and the setting is memorable. 

I'm staying at Capital Hill Hotel which is on Albert St. Walked half hour to Pho Bo Ga for a late lunch today, thanks for the tip!

The drive to the hotel went by the river and it was extremely pleasant. On the whole Ottawa seems pleasant but nothing really stood out. I'll probably try the National Gallery and Byward Market tomorrow after my visa appointment. Thanks again!

Glad to be of service! Since you're staying on Albert, I recommend going to the Scone Witch. My first job was there, a long time ago. The scones are delicious, and the jam is top quality, but they also have some awesome sconewitches (that's not a pun, they're actually called that). It gets insanely busy, between noon and 1:30, but anytime before or after is OK. That said, if you go around mid-day, you can walk north, on block, to Wellington, and west about a block; in front of the National Archives (big white box with little windows punched in) is a beautiful little retreat called the Garden of the Provinces. Eating there is quite relaxing.