Going to London on wednesday

123ok

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend is going to London for a short time (five days) on wednesday and I'd like to have some tips on what I should check out from shops, resturants, nightclubs, concerts and what not. I can say that I do not have a very thick wallet and I'm not bringing a huge wardrobe with me so anything very very fancy will probably not work for me.

I've been to London twice so I have a little bit of clues where to go but when I have been there I have been with a friend that got his own plan which has been fun by all means as he knows his way around London and he's shown me quite some places but you probably know alot of places (shops) that he doesn't know about or left out. When it comes to nightlife I've only been to some odd places that was there when I needed a beer and he's had some concerts at jazz cafè so that's the only place I've been to while in London.

I'd really like to know where I can get some apc jeans or any other semi slim fitted jeans to match my p&b weavers and plain-toes (it really does not work well with baggy jeans)

Hope you guys got some tips for me, I would appreciate it alot!

selfredges for good fashion, but expensive.. dover street market.. brick lane [for vintage goods].... theyre all v. expensive though.. im not a big fan.. i go when im window shopping.. not when my wallets out..

go out in soho for laughs.. shoreditch is good if your a rocker/electro fag..

errr.. try and peep something with club/gig listings.. v. important.... try gighit.com for gig listings.. and get down to rough trade for club/gig listings on paper.. its under slam city skates in covent garden 'neils yard'.. or go to the west london store.. but west londons pretty shite..

dunno how to help you really.. londons been pissing me off recently.

for food.. get to the baigel shop on brick lane.. not the one that claims to be the first one.. its the one with the white/blue sign.. beigel 24hours' or something..

thats the fucker --> beigelbake.jpg

but make sure you call them ''bi-gals''.. thats how they call em.,,.. my mate swears the salt beef is the shit.. but i like the salmon and cream cheese with a bit of lemon juice.. or the plain ones ripped open with a pinch of salt.. scrummy.

hi thomas, thanks for the good tips. im going to london from 16 to 21 november.

I'll definatley check out the bagel shop. I am also probably going to maison bertaux as I think their cakes are superb!

I know where slam city in neals yard is and also the very nice cheese shop. My first thought have been to buy a time out magazine and check for gigs and exhibitions. What fashion I'm into..? Not really sure but I did like alot of hideouts stuff last time I was there (I bought a nbhd jacket) and I have to admit that I like alot of nikes, all from dunks to air stabs.. Nice denim (mostly raw denim that don't have been pre-washed, plain single coloured stuff) and stuff like that. Alot of plain stuff.. I also have no problem with more posh stuff but I doubt I am going to spend all my money on a dior homme leather jacket to be honest but by all means most of the big brands got stuff that I like as well.. Last time I was at selfridges I saw a marc jacobs sweater that I didn't like but for some reason I didn't buy it in the end. For music I like alot of stuff, hiphop, bossa nova and more dance friendly jazz stuff, soul, funk etc I even like punk rock like the misfits! Thought I doubt I would fit right in the electro or rock n roll scene.

I hope both thomas and others can contribute some more, that would be much appreciated.

About the woman with the bagel on her back, I have to ask; WHAT KIND OF PANTIES IS SHE WEARING FOR GODS SAKE!

Check Time Out as soon as you can. Flavourpill is also worth a look for the obvious and occasionally not-so-obvious things going on in London next week - new edition up on tuesday, I think. http://london.flavourpill.net/index.jsp Umm. Liberty at the top of regent street has APC and most of all the other stuff that brandwhores cream themselves over and it's hella lot more civilized than Selfridges. Plus the staff are better looking.

IMO just go with what you find when you get here. Really you justhave to find it for yourself. But avoid Shoreditch and don't buy a curry in Brick Lane, no matter what anybody tells you.

I don't think I can get my hands on a time out until I land at stanstead or something. Really doubt they have it in Bergen, Norway.. :(

I checked flavourpill but it hasn't been updated yet so I am waiting eagerly for tuesday to come. I saw some interesting exhibtions that is going to still be open when I get there.

When I've been in London I've never been so far east as shoreditch I think.. What's wrong or what's happening there? I tried to google map "Brick Lane, London" but I think it showed me the wrong place perhaps..anyway, whats a "curry in brick lane"? Please explain:)

I checked some other threads on the forums and I noticed that dior homme raw denim jeans costed £140 so I would definatley be interested in checking these out..does anyone know where I might find these jeans? Sorry if I sound like a chav but I don't really have any stigmas against any brands as long as I feel the stuff looks nice and besides my little town here in Norway does not really have that much nice raw denim to find from my experience and I don't find Nudies cut very exciting or appealing to me and the backpockets are quite ugly if you ask me. I just want some simple, basic jeans with good quality.. If people have some other brand tips for me for this, I would love it!

I hope that my girlfriend is going to buy some nice new shoes so if anyone have any good tips for either brands or shops to check out, please let me know. I am not thinking nike trainers dunks etc as she already got alot of that stuff but maybe a little more.. "nice".. She'll probably not go for miu miu or marc jacobs shoes with high heels (to my despair) but something a little more nice than a pair of chunky trainers and a little more casual than some nice high heels.

Is there any nice places to eat? Both cheap and quick and a little more nice maybe.. I've been at wagamama and thought it was pretty decent, also pretty cheap. Is there any resturants that have big dim sum menus maybe?

I hope for more help. I really really appreciate all the help and tips you guys have given me so far and if I would bump into and of you in London I will most definatley buy you a beer!

Quote: When I've been in London I've never been so far east as shoreditch I think.. What's wrong or what's happening there?

Shoreditch was cool once, but it's a waste of time now and full of terrible wankers. As a tourist you don't have a chance of finding anything worthwhile going on there at all, so avoid it.

Quote: whats a "curry in brick lane"? Please explain:)

You know what a curry is, right? Hopefully by now you'll be aware of what constitutes a good curry. If you are, don't waste time trying to look for one on Brick lane. Despite popular opinion, All you'll find is Honky slop.

Quote: Is there any nice places to eat? Both cheap and quick and a little more nice maybe..

Brother there's more cheapnicequick places to eat in London than you could imagine. But you won't find any of them where all the tourists hang out. Try this one- it's waaaay off the beaten track but hella worth an evening's trek IMO.

Vietnamese Community Canteen

14 Englefield Road, London, N1.

Tel: 0207124 90877

or this:

Green Papaya

191 Mare Street, London, E8.

Tel: 020 89855486

a bit more mainline, but still way out the way. Haven't been there for a while but It was good Last time I checked.

Quote: me. I just want some simple, basic jeans with good quality.. If people have some other brand tips for me for this, I would love it!

Fuck Dior Homme. If you really want simple basic jeans, go to Richmond - it's on the map at the end of the green tube line - and pick up a pair of japanese denim greenline selvedge from Uniqlo for £9.99.

Yeah I understand about going to places not so central to get the best stuff but since I am only going to be there for a short time I don't know how much time I can afford spending on digging up locations that is pretty far away :( I will try to find the vietnamese resturant as I love vitenamese food!

I really wanted to buy uniqlos but I thought they were all sold out. Richmond is in zone 4 though, no chance in getting the jeans in uniqlo stores in soho/covent garden? What do you reckon? If not I will probably try to find it in richmond as I thought they look pretty fabulous for the £10 price. Thanks for reminding me about uniqlos, I had actually forgotten all about them icon_smile_blush.gif

if you're talking about a curry meal.. I'm not too big a fan of meals that consists of curry actually :)

Edited by 123ok on Nov 13, 2005 at 02:07 PM

yeah try and get to the community canteen cos I think it's the best vietnamese in London. Spend the afternoon sifting through Islington and then head over there for food and you can't go wrong. Make reservation s before you go though, or you'llhave a huge wait. And it's shut on sunday.

FYI Richmond had selvedge from 30-36" waist but only in a 35" leg last time I looked a few weeks back. No one is buying them so there should be stacks still there.

Anyhow. Have a good one.

Out.

thanks sybaritical, I am wearing 32" normally but I'm pretty short so 35" is way too long but maybe I can get them altered or something. I most likley won't pass on them if I get a chance to buy them and I am planning to take a trip down there if I don't find them in any uniqlo stores in soho.

What about shoes for women then? Anyone have any tips? Thanks for all the nice help, I really appreciate it.