Harajuku Hipsters?

carrie1

Hi there!

Has anyone ever been to Harajuku in Tokyo? I want to check it out because i heard there were alot of cutting edge fashion ideas there. Does anyone know where to shop or stay around there?

here's a link to the freaky kids in Harajuku

http://www.photosaga.com/Japon%20kids/index.htm

Gwen Stefani even wrote a song about Harajuku girls:

Wa-mono

There's me, there's you (hoko-ten)

In a pedestrian paradise

Where the catwalk got its claws (meow)

A subculture, in a kaleidoscope of fashion

Prowl the streets of Harajuku (irasshaimase)

Super lovers, tell me where you got yours

(At the super lovers store)

Yohji Yamamoto

I'm hanging with the locals

Where the catwalk got its claws

All you fashion know-it-alls

With your underground malls

In the world of Harajuku

Putting on a show, when you dress up in your clothes

Wild hair color and cell phones

Your accessories are dead on

[chorus 2x]

Harajuku girls, you got the wicked style

I like the way that you are

I am your biggest fan, oh

Harajuku girls

I'm looking at you girls

You're so original girls

You got the look that makes you stand out

Harajuku girls, I’m looking at you girls

You mix and match it girls

You dress so fly and just parade around (arigato)

no offense, but that was possibly the worst f'ing song ever created. no. i take that back, the bananas song needs to get shot in the face. gwen stefani, where did you go wrong?

but anyhow, i'm definitely gonna try to hit harajuku up also. those pictures are hella intense. hella cosplayers but maaaan. i'd freak out if they popped up infront of me.

Edited by samsikle on Nov 8, 2005 at 09:01 PM

yes, it was indeed a horrible song! but the words are indicative of the scene over there. I personally don't like Gwen stefani's music, but she does give props to Harajuku in the song, which is why it's relevant to this post.

Don't those kids look like Mad Max meets the Venice carnival in Asia? You have to admit they're really going for it though! The scariest one is the one with the big dreadlocks and the mask. Maybe she was actually pretty in another life. I heard Sunday is the day to cruise Harjuku. Does anyone know if that's true???

Carrie

The gothic lolitas/guys all come out Sunday mid-day on the bridge of Yoyogi park. Back in mid-90s, the main street of Shibuya was also closed out so that people could strut their stuff amongst each other. The phenomena is sorta played out now and most of the goths play towards foreigners more than each other.

Not to preach, but it bugs me when people just pick up the weirdness of Japan. It's lazy. Everyone knows You could chuck a brick over your shoulder and it would come down hit something weird there. It'd be great if people talked a bit about the light and colour and beauty and the certain sense of peace you can find there in the quieter moments, too.

I've been to Kyoto and other parts of Japan for skiing (Niseko and Hakuba are awesome places for ski!!) and I know the peacful and cultural part of it as well.

Anyway, the reason I ask about Harajuku is because I live in Korea and we get alot of Japanese over here to shop and I was wondering what my chances are for an import/ export business dealing in clothes. I'm starting to get a feeling like this whole harajuku thing is played out according to you guys.

One guy I know here in Seoul said: In Korea girls want to look feminine and elegant; and in Japan they want to look punk. However, I very much like the artsy Japan look, but don't worry, I won't be buying a mask of iron anytime soon. I like my face thank you very much.

The weird part of Japan is fun and interesting. I guess that's why people focus on it.

Carrie

Japanese women DEFINITELY want to look feminine and classy. The number of magazines and books that are devoted to the Japanese cute/classy/Office Lady/elegant style easily eclipses the number of magazines for the "Harajuku" look. Try looking through magazines like JJ, ViVi, P.J., Classy, Pinky, etc. I think the west tends to concentrate on the Harajuku look because its so in your face/different. But seriously, everytime someone brings up the "punky Harajuku", I feel like we're still in 1997-98 and Fruits is still considered hot. Trends here go by FAST, some easily go by in like a week or two, its so much more diverse and complex than most westerns, including myself, can hope to attain understanding. For the korean market, I suggest to focus on the styles that are constantly ripped by Korean stars, singers from Japan (Koreans are notorious for this). Try molding niche brands to the trends and looks that seem to be developing in Korea before they happen. Also be aware that the majority of Japanese clothing labels are made in China, so you might have better luck building relationships there first. Peace.

Okay theres 2 Harajukus `kay? The one ppl in this thread are talking about is Takeshite Street, which runs from the train station to the to where LaForet and the GAP are. I personally dont like it, creeps me out and the demographic is really young. The Harajuku I like is everything past the GAP towards Aoyama. Thats where Nigo started Nowhere, and the place I was at every weekend in `01. Its got all the biggies - NBHD, Recon, Atmos, Head Porter, Real Mad Hectic, Bounty Hunter etc etc. You wanna get more sophisticated still? keep going up to Aoyama and you got Comme, Undercover etc..

EDIT: Gwen isnt jumping on late, shes been wearing Superlovers and Hysteric Glamour etc since she was in No Doubt..pretty sure she was a fan of the Harajuku look before most westerners. `sides I like her stuff - got a sense of humour, shes totally fuckin insane too!

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Nov 9, 2005 at 07:51 PM

I woder if there is a place in Tokyo that is more indie and vintage style...kinda like Haight St in San Fran. I remember reading about this area in Tokyo from a magazine that described it as "away from all the noise and bullshit in Harajuku" that supposily had indie art/ clothing.