Chore coats

superBobo

Supposingly i order the coat in august, but everytime when i call they said they dont have my size, after few unsucessful attempts in september and octoberso, i give up in november. The lady that works there call me last week and I order the pointer hickory stripe on thursday and got it on saturday, extremly pleased with the service. she also gives me the coupon code to use online as well. The fabric is prety stiff, but i think it will soften up alot after few days,

5pj6h5.jpg

Dude, where did you get this? It looks great.

Looks good, but that collar is really big... 70s style.

that's my only gripe w/ the shirt. smith & butler, a modern workwear inspired shop near me, stocks these exact jawns and no joke i tried the shit on and felt like i needed some bell bottoms and a polyester suit to complement that shit.

debating whether to get that coat in small or xs, I'm 5'6 at 140 pounds but I know that my body isn't as thin as fattybfats'. But most of the fit pictures I see at rakuten look nothing like his. Guess I'll buy both and return the one that doesn't fit.

Anyone here give me a hand with sugar cane chore coat sizes. I'm looking at the jean cord jacket, and can't figure out if i should get at 38 or 40. Sizing varies depending on the sites you go to. I rock a baracuta slimfit g9 which is a 38, but my chest is 40. i can even wear a sweat underneath. will a 38 stretch, cause it's one wash? i'm about 5'10.5" 180lbs. DOMO

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my Montgomery Wards Power House...

3574066651_6bcc1921e4.jpg?v=1243559023

I put more pics on my blog....

Any experts on when they changed the buttons? Mines seems to be a mix of the old and new elements?

• 3 months later...
i am 5'7 and 133 lbs

i order xs

here is the measurement from pointer

shoulder 18''

armpit to armpit 23.75"

centerback 28.75"

sleeves 24.5""

but when i measure it

the should is 18"

armpit to armpit ( with button closed" 18.5"

centerback 26.5"

sleeves 24.5"

if you go to the japanese website, it provided a much better measurement

so my pointer chore jackets came in today. thought i'd throw up the measurements for the 'small' and 'medium' and keep them with fattybfat's previous post for easier reference.

small

chest: 20.75"

neck: 16" (buttoned, measuring the interior)

shoulder: 19"

armhole: 10.25"

sleeve: 24.5"

center back: 27"

medium

chest: 22.75"

neck: 17.5" (buttoned, measuring the interior)

shoulder: 20"

armhole: 11.5"

sleeve: 25"

center back: 28"

hope that helps...

yes, but not exclusively. think farmers, artists, mechanics, whatever...

exactly...

Farmers were chore coats, Ranchers wear denim jackets...

Prisoners wear what ever they're told to wear...

aren't these jackets worn by prison inmates

They are also worn by wealthy brats with too much money to spend.

Come to think of it, I really need one (j/k)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody brings up Filson. The cruiser style is basically a chore coat with pocket flaps all around (and the map section in the back). Top quality, tough as nails and still made in Seattle. I used to think the pricing was high end (but fair), but after seeing alot of the fashion stuff lately, they're a dang bargain. I've worn the Tin Cruiser (waxed tin cloth) over a Carhartt blanket lined Detroit jacket for years as my winter armor. Wearing this combo is better than lifting weights at the gym, and most folks would probably be better with a lighter liner. Recently my friend gave me his old wool cruiser in grey (hasn't fit his middle in years) and it's become my new absolute favorite. In this material and color it also dresses up quite a bit better than the denims and canvas versions for those that don't want to look TOO blue collar. This one is about fifteen years old and a light grey, I think the current ones are a darker charcoal.

I'm surprised nobody brings up Filson. The cruiser style is basically a chore coat with pocket flaps all around (and the map section in the back). Top quality, tough as nails and still made in Seattle. I used to think the pricing was high end (but fair), but after seeing alot of the fashion stuff lately, they're a dang bargain. I've worn the Tin Cruiser (waxed tin cloth) over a Carhartt blanket lined Detroit jacket for years as my winter armor. Wearing this combo is better than lifting weights at the gym, and most folks would probably be better with a lighter liner. Recently my friend gave me his old wool cruiser in grey (hasn't fit his middle in years) and it's become my new absolute favorite. In this material and color it also dresses up quite a bit better than the denims and canvas versions for those that don't want to look TOO blue collar. This one is about fifteen years old and a light grey, I think the current ones are a darker charcoal.

hi joseph,... i am glad you bring up the " Filson Tin Cruiser" - loving this coat for a long time and managed to order one of them today!!!! cant wait it to arrive,....

can you please post some pics of your cruiser? would love to see one worn in.

cheers

Nice pickup. I've always been a Filson booster. It's too bad that that Californian private equity firm bought them out, and started adding in the 'Lodge' line all made in Mexico and China. As far as I know all the original core items are still made locally though.

The tin cloth stuff is great for people who like to break in their clothes. You have to break them in every time you wear them because when you take them off the wax sets up. You even get a tin of wax for reapplication. It's not a comfortable coat over a t-shirt at all, but makes a terrific protective shell over other clothes.

Being a neo-luddite has its difficulties. Posting pictures on the internet is one of them. I've done it before, but I've got to figure it out again. I'll try to manage it soon though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Looks like Salt Valley is pushing out some workwear clothing through UrbanOutfitters:

productdetail.jsp?itemdescription=true&itemCount=80&startValue=1&selectedProductColor=&sortby=&id=18638999&parentid=M_OUTERWEAR&sortProperties=+subCategoryPosition,+product.marketingPriority&navCount=49&navAction=jump&color=&pushId=M_OUTERWEAR&popId=MENS&prepushId=&selectedProductSize=

I don't like that it's all pieced together... why not just use solid material? Usually thats a sign of being cheap or shotty in my eyes

• 2 weeks later...