buy your superad here !!

Photo
- - - - -

Coming to London for 2yrs from Sydney. Arriving October.....advice?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GLUK

GLUK

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 19 august 04

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:29 AM

Transferring through work to London for a couple of years. Arriving early October. Few things I'll have to get sorted.

1. there much price difference between zone 1 & 2 tube tickets?
2. want to find a place (1bd, hopefully renovated) to rent for a couple of years. Think I can find much in zone 2 for around 220/wk? I will be working around london bridge station.
3. i've heard horror storied about food in London. Where do i go to have nice and reasonable food?

ANY help would be great.

Cheers
G

#2 hithere

hithere

bored

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • joined 02 august 04

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

1) yes about £1.50, best you get monthly travel cards...
2) A one bed in zone two would still be expensive, those areas are getting fashionable, my friend has a spacious bed sit for £120 a week...but it hasn't got all mod cons..
3) There's loads of lovely places, convent garden has some nice restaurants, around west london...there's loads! best to get the time out food guide if your a bit wary...

#3 GLUK

GLUK

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 19 august 04

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

Anyone else got any comments at all?

Cheers
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself a fool. -Anatole France

#4 kiteless

kiteless

semibored

• Pip
  • 142 posts
  • joined 09 march 04

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

in terms of costs you'll find there's a little difference between a place like for instance ladbroke grv, hampstead and primrose hill (zone 2) and a place in zone 1 like chelsea, south ken or marylebone. It's not proximity you'll appreciate or pay for: it's the area. 220 pw inc council tax won't last very far in NW, W - my first flat (1br) in london was 220 + tax, across the street from Saatchi Gallery in St Johns Wood (just north of Regents Pk, zone 2) - this was in 1997. I'd look towards E (Clerkenwell, Shoreditch) but even here, there's been an inflation (the so-called Sam Taylor Wood-effect)

#5 GLUK

GLUK

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 19 august 04

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:15 AM

Would you know if there are any good websites with useful info for a new London resident?
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself a fool. -Anatole France

#6 danielkash

danielkash

bored

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • joined 14 june 04

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

LENNY MCLEAN THE GOV NOR!

#7 GLUK

GLUK

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 19 august 04

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:33 AM

??

#8 Nice Touch

Nice Touch

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 02 july 04

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:25 PM

Best advice is to find a good flat share.

Try here:
http://uk.easyroomma...=uk&LCode=uk_en

Not my fault if you find a lune though mate.

Personaly I recomened Hackney/Dalston/Stoke Newington areas in East London. You can get the best value for money there as its a bit rough and ready and has no tube. Truth is though, I havent had any bother here in 10 years and the buses are shit hot.

I get to Oxford Circus in 35 mins and Shoreditch is 10 minutes away (loads of bars and good stores round there).

Best other advice I can give is use the night bus instead of dodgy cabs and never by drugs in Leicester square.

Oh yeah - bring Tim Tams, Tia Maria style, with you from Oz. They will be the highest possible currency in buying favours off your work mates when the brews arrive.

#9 Matthew

Matthew

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 06 september 04

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

1. Monthly cards are best - but often you pay for Zone 1&2 together
2. the rental market is very good at the moment and you could probably get a decent one bed flat even in zone 1 at the moment - check Loot - it's the only way to go
3. Food - are you kidding? London has got some of the best food in the world - it also has plenty of crap - so check out Time out when you get here