10 days in Tokyo with only £600

j zombie

If you've already bought your flight and your accomodation and that money is purely for survival, you should be able to live pretty well. But forget clubs and bars - a big night out in Tokyo will ream you. especially if you don't have any hook ups with any Japanese.

Best food tip is avoid restaurants in obvious places and go for the backstreets or hole in the walls - watch where the locals go, and if you've got the stones to just walk in and sit down, hold up how much money you want to spend if you can't speak japanese (500 yen is good in a small local place) and be prepared for absolutely anything, depending on the crowd you'll probably make a lot of friends real quick and probably end up A) drunk and B) eating like a minor deity. Believe.

If you don't got stones, then eat healthy fresh prepared rice based stuff from convenience stores and supermarkets. Both are totallly different from the UK. Booze is cheaper from supermarkets than anywhere else, too. Go for Sho Chu in huge bottles and you will be absolutely laughing, or Chu Hai in cans, which is similarly awesome. And the beers? Awhhhhh mannnnnnn .....icon_smile_big.gif. DO NOT buy beer from hotels. Even from their vending machines.

PM me if you want any other living tips. I travelled all over Japan for six months at different times during 2000-1 and lived like a Prince .

Eating and drinking on a hundred dollars a day shouldn't be a challenge for anybody, my friend! :)

Drinking costs less than in London and maybe just a bit more than in NYC. Actually, once you factor in what you save on tips, it's probably a push to drink in Tokyo or NYC. When I was there last year, I'd say my average eating bill was $50 a day, tops. I only tied one on a couple of times, once big, once not so big, but I was only there for 7 nights. The way I figure it is if you have a hundred dollars in drinks on Wednesday, you're probably not going to be drinking much on Thursday, anyhow.

As for clubs, I don't know. I went to a big hotel party and a few bars, but otherwise avoided destination nights.

have fun.