6 replies to this topic

#1 j zombie

j zombie

bored

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • joined 11 april 05

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

Can I do it, or will I end up dying of starvation? I'm not really looking to buy anything, I just wanna see some sights, check some clubs etc. The £600 is purely for eating, going out etc. - it doesn't include hotel costs, I've got the hotel costs covered.

#2 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

If you've already bought your flight and your accomodation and that money is purely for survival, you should be able to live pretty well. But forget clubs and bars - a big night out in Tokyo will ream you. especially if you don't have any hook ups with any Japanese.

Best food tip is avoid restaurants in obvious places and go for the backstreets or hole in the walls - watch where the locals go, and if you've got the stones to just walk in and sit down, hold up how much money you want to spend if you can't speak japanese (500 yen is good in a small local place) and be prepared for absolutely anything, depending on the crowd you'll probably make a lot of friends real quick and probably end up A) drunk and B) eating like a minor deity. Believe.

If you don't got stones, then eat healthy fresh prepared rice based stuff from convenience stores and supermarkets. Both are totallly different from the UK. Booze is cheaper from supermarkets than anywhere else, too. Go for Sho Chu in huge bottles and you will be absolutely laughing, or Chu Hai in cans, which is similarly awesome. And the beers? Awhhhhh mannnnnnn .....images/icon_smile_big.gif. DO NOT buy beer from hotels. Even from their vending machines.

PM me if you want any other living tips. I travelled all over Japan for six months at different times during 2000-1 and lived like a Prince .

#3 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:22 PM

Eating and drinking on a hundred dollars a day shouldn't be a challenge for anybody, my friend! :)

Drinking costs less than in London and maybe just a bit more than in NYC. Actually, once you factor in what you save on tips, it's probably a push to drink in Tokyo or NYC. When I was there last year, I'd say my average eating bill was $50 a day, tops. I only tied one on a couple of times, once big, once not so big, but I was only there for 7 nights. The way I figure it is if you have a hundred dollars in drinks on Wednesday, you're probably not going to be drinking much on Thursday, anyhow.

As for clubs, I don't know. I went to a big hotel party and a few bars, but otherwise avoided destination nights.

have fun.

#4 johninger

johninger

superbored

• Pip
  • 404 posts
  • joined 19 september 05

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

That will buy you a lot of sushi.
I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

#5 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

j zombie. PM me. I'll hook u up or if you want a drinking buddy.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#6 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

i heard they weren't as strict on drinking age in japan. like it would be considered rude to ask for id? if i'm not mistaken the legal drinking age is 20? you think they'll can me if they catch me buying alcohol from a vending machine? i'm 17 but i swear i look like i'm 20 haha

#7 Caramel

Caramel

semibored

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • joined 03 may 04

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

If you are a foreigner they wouldnt really question you as they won't know how to ask you anyway!
This is all random.......