buy your superad here !!

Photo
- - - - -

Tips for a 1st time in Tokyo (is needed)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 superglam

superglam

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 17 october 05

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:52 PM

Does anyone knows good tips for a 1st time in Tokyo? Like obscure places, how to save much money as possible, etc... I read here about a cheap food place named Yoshinoya's. What else?
And what about the wild jet lag? I'm from Brasil, so I gonna cross the world. Any advice for that?

#2 Ideal

Ideal

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 20 october 05

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

Learn a little bit of the language. Like how to say hi, thank you, etc. When I went there, I thought that almost everyone knew English especially the teenagers. I was wrong and lost my way half of the time. Buy one of those tour books with photos and maps. It'll do you good.
Jax

#3 superglam

superglam

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 17 october 05

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

Thanks, I was starting to realise that issue about the English. Now I'll practice more japanese. Eigo o ranachimas ka?

#4 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

I took my first trip to Tokyo last year. As far as jet lag goes, I cannot recomment Ambien enough! I was fine when I arrived in Japan, although I sort of became a morning person. Coming home was cool too. Flying back to the west coast, you get to experience the intersting time-travel effects of landing before you plane takes off.

Anyway, my advice for saving money is to not shop! :) Seriously though, unless it's something very cool and very Japanese, buy it at home - it will be a lot less. Unless you want to get some electronics or something. Eating out is just like NYC. You can spend a ton of dough, but you can also find good, cheap eats.

Have fun and yes, learn a little Japanese. It's worth it just to see the expression on people's faces as you butcher their language! :)

#5 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:43 PM

No wild jet lag coming from the North/South America but coming back will hurt. There are tons of cheap restaurants in Tokyo and they are decently good. Don't go to Roppongi. It's filthy. Instead head for Omotesando, Ayoma, Diakanyama, Naka-meguro, etc. They all have a bohemian vibe to it, much chiller. Few foreigners. PM me if you wanna hang out or need more specific advice. Cheers!

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#6 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

i totally forgot about the jet lag thing. i'm going to be taking my first trip to japan as well and i guess my main concern getting off the plane would be getting from Narita to the hotel or hostel i'm gonna stay at.. dj, i think ya gotta hook it up with the hip places!

#7 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:24 AM

Getting from the airport to Tokyo is fairly easy. I recommend just taking a linosine bus (3000 yen) which tend to stop at all the major hotels. Or, you can just crash at my place. Lol. I live in Roppongi (for work related reasons). PM me/contact me either way. Cheers!

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#8 superglam

superglam

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 17 october 05

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

Sam, when do you arrive? I'm going this week.

#9 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

i'm going december 26 to january 6th, sort of short, but i'm still in high school so my vacations are out of whack.. glam, when are you staying until?

#10 superglam

superglam

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 17 october 05

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

Just as shorts as you, unitl november 6th.

#11 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

bummer.. tell me all about it and what to hit up k? which hotel are you staying at? i need to find a place for me and my buddies because we're staying at hostels most of the time mmmeh..