Moving to London - Need Help !!!

The area between islington and kingsland road is nice too. It has a name that escapes me now.

Is called Dalston. Good Mangal restaurants and a bunch of cool bars and venues to hangout in if you can't be bothered to jump the bus down to Hoxton or Shoreditch.

There is something about it, but I'd avoid Waterloo cos of grime and crime and Battersea is a good area for young professionals, but it's getting expensive for what it offers IMO.

No not Dalson, I was thinking of the area that is a bit more upmarket, as you head towards highbury and islington from dalston... is it Newington green?

Anyway it's all georgian terraces and gated squares and is very nice.

As for waterloo, a friend of mine used to live on The Cut and it was quite nice there. There's also the area that is all narrow cobbled streets and small terraces. It's bloody lovely there.

Battersea is kind of expensive but quite nice because of the river and proximity to chelsea. There seems to be quite a lot of antipodean estate agents though... or is that just my prejudice?

Stoke Newington?

Only bit of Waterloo I know is the area around the station and that's mainly cos of Scooterworks cafe on Lower marsh lane. Best cup of coffee in London.

You might be right about Battersea. Seems to be populated by young overachieving graduates all living loft lifestyles from what I've seen. Mehhhh.

My university has just made me an offer for accommodation down in New Cross (near Deptford). It would be something around 130 per week.

Actually, although it's kinda cheap, I am not really interested as it seems so far away from everything. I don't know anything about that area.

Also, I would have another option to get someting in Finsbury Park. It would be three rooms for 1000 plus bills per month. Sounds not to bad...

What do you think about both options?

Actually, I would prefer to live closer and with more convenient tube access...

Scooterworks cafe on Lower marsh lane. Best cup of coffee in London.

Fuck YES!

I've known Craig and Fifi for a while. I bought and sold a scooter through them and have drunk their coffee for years.

Oh the area that I'm thinking of near islington is around Balls pond road. It's pretty plush.

IH: I don't like new cross. it's pretty shitty. Finsbury park is not too bad, convenient and good greek food all around. There is not a lot happening round there but you can take a bus down to the action in shoreditch.

The area between islington and kingsland road is nice too. It has a name that escapes me now.

Balls Pond Road ?

Has anyone been around Kingsland Road for Vietnamese? Heard thats the best spot for Viet food, but so far been cba to go there to eat.

Also, someone on page 1 mention pikeys and chavs.

Are we talking "the locals" basically?

I live near Angel, there's loads near me - staffordshire bull terriers, nike grey jog pants, arsenal football top. Classic look. Thats why I never understand why ppl think trackie sweat pants look good - they dont, they look SHIT.

Yep balls pond road. I like it round there.

Kingsland road has a million vietnamese restaurants, some are better than others but my favorite is on Mare street in Hackney and it's called tres viet. Or just off kingsland road on the left about half way up to dalston is the shabbiest looking place but it's pretty damn good and popular. Vietnam canteen or something to do with community centre. Can't remember right now, The street is opposite around where the fancy fish and chip place is. If thats any use.

im moving down in september also doing course in london college of fashion going to mainly based in mare street up east end but just got my halls offered to me in south london furzedown in tooting

i am seriously hating this not sure what im going to do but we will see i guess il ahve to take it but it is going to be like the longest morning trip and once im finnished after the journey home il be like fuck arsed doing anything and apprently the halls are pretty fucking desperate too not even nice

I live in Furzedown. It's pretty suburban, but I work down here so it's good for me.

The commute up to mare street will be a shit, I used to do the exact opposite journey when I lived in Hackney and commuted to Tooting.

Like Syb says Tooting isn't that bad, Indian food is the best in London apparently. Balham has a few bars but I don't really go to them much. Tooting Bec is a nice park and there is the Lido.

I see quite a few art students around my neighbourhood, I wondered what in hell they were doing in Furzedown!

Syb: yeah that the place..... incredible food.

im moving down in september also doing course in london college of fashion going to mainly based in mare street up east end but just got my halls offered to me in south london furzedown in tooting

i am seriously hating this not sure what im going to do but we will see i guess il ahve to take it but it is going to be like the longest morning trip and once im finnished after the journey home il be like fuck arsed doing anything and apprently the halls are pretty fucking desperate too not even nice

That's fucking far away too !!! I am wondering who is getting all the nicely located rooms...one thing is sure, not us !!! By the way, what you're going study? Are your courses not gonna take place on Oxford Circus or Bond St.?

I am pretty sure, I am not taking that room. Deptford is not only too fucking far away, it's also not that cheap...

Seriously, I am trying to get a room somewhere else in a more central location. Worst case, I would rent my own flat and would rerent the other rooms...

I'm a north londoner myself- East Finchley. Plenty of nice places to live up here if you've got the budget and like a villagey kind of atmosphere such as Highgate, Muswell hill, Crouch end. Not exactly earthy & gritty like the other places people have mentioned but certainly a nice area to come back to after a day/night on the town.

Used to live in Tufnell park which, is nicely close to camden- if you like that kinda thing (it's turned into even more of a shitehole these days)

Fresco- are you a vintage scooter rider too? seems to be a small collective of us on here

Mr Black, yes a vintage scooter rider here, mine is a sportique....

427941294_4d7a87ceb2.jpg

seen here fresh from a respray last year.

And I too used to live in tufnell park. We used to go and watch jazz bands in one of the pubs there about 13-14 years ago.

Very nice, I always fancied a series II lambretta but never fancied the price. I should have bought one when they were cheaper 5-10 years ago. Now it's just bonkers.

Is the vespa a sprint?

Anyone got any good CHEAP food recommendations in London Bridge, I'm there tomorrow although I know a few good restaurants there, none are cheap.

It's a GT, though as far as I know, they only difer very slightly to the sprint in engine specs alone.

I am desperately looking for a room in a shared flat for September or earlier!!!

I am looking for something not more than 170 pounds per week including bill.

Generally, I am looking for a own room in a shared flat / house. I wouldn't have a problem with sharing a bathroom. It should be located with convenient tube access to oxford circus. I could spend a maximum of up to 170 pounds per week. I know, for London it's not that much...anyway.

Of course, My first choice would be areas in the north / north-west of the Hyde Park:

Paddington / Bayswater / St. John's Wood / Landbroke Grove / West Kilburn

I know that these areas are damn expensive !!! So, it's rather unrealistic...but you never know.

Not less interesting are Shoreditch / Spitalfields / Bricklane / Islington / Finsbury / Angel / Camden Town / South Kensington / West Kensington / Battersea / Lambeth / Southwalk / Newington

ANY HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!!

THANKS !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm north london also although not the fancy bit, muswell hill crouch end is really nice my friends just got a place there,I'm seven sisters with the girlfriend and we rent a large studio flat for 750 a month so it works about 430 a month inc council tax and electric its ok round here nothing exciting going on and high st can appear a little rugged at first but its pretty chill really and my comute to central hen i dont work from home is 25 mins including my walk to the tube station which is pretty damn good for zone3

Ok, as things are getting serious, I've specified what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a single room / double room in a flatshare anywhere in zones 1-2 with convenient tube service to Oxford Circus. I am looking for something not more than 180 GBP / per week.

I am 27, friendly, reliable, respectful of others, and liberally-minded.

I have flat share experience: For instance, I’ve lived in Vancouver / Canada for about a year where I’ve lived together with different people.

I'm starting postgraduate studies at University of the Arts London in September. Sufficient funding is available.

I am a creative mind who shows great interest in art, fashion and music and everything that surrounds these things. Other than that, I am passionate about sports and doing quite a lot of it on a regular basis (everything from jogging to indoor climbing).

In the free-time, I would appreciate to spend time with some easy-going and friendly flat mates.

I'm a non smoker.

I'm looking to move in any time between mid August and beginning of September!

You will have figured out by now that I'm looking for a friendly (long-term : for up to 1 to 1.5 years) home rather than an anonymous housing arrangement.

I'm currently located in Germany but can travel to London as soon as something interesting to visit comes up. So it will be 100% appreciated if you can email me with pics of the room before I'm jumping on the next plain to London.

Thanks for checking out my ad!

Any help is appreciated !!!