The Osaka Five

flex0r

Fullcount is not exactly a repro brand even though Fullcount jeans have a lot of repro details. Fullcount is more of a vintage inspired fashion brand. 1101 is not based on 47 501. The original model in 93 does not even have hidden rivets and has paper patch instead of leather. Cut wise, I say 1101 is a slimmer version of 1947 501.

• 2 years later...

I am currently researching the history of each brands of the Osaka 5 and their brand philosophy, don't want to bring up a near obsolete thread but not sure where I should post it (Don't think Osaka Showdown thread is appropriate)

I hit a roadblock with SDA, considering its the oldest of them all, there is surprisingly very little information about its history (Founder?)

Quite sure there is somebody here who is very knowledgable about these brands...

Helping hand will be greatly appreciated  :blush:

I am currently researching the history of each brands of the Osaka 5 and their brand philosophy, don't want to bring up a near obsolete thread but not sure where I should post it (Don't think Osaka Showdown thread is appropriate)

I hit a roadblock with SDA, considering its the oldest of them all, there is surprisingly very little information about its history (Founder?)

Quite sure there is somebody here who is very knowledgable about these brands...

Helping hand will be greatly appreciated  :blush:

Hey feel free to e-mail at [email protected] us directly, we would be happy to provide you some insight into the Osaka 5 and SDA specifically among the other brands!

I'm pretty sure I've got a picture of them in an old Lightning or Free& Easy magazine. If I remember correctly, it's black & white, they have shaved heads, check shirts and very baggy jeans. In fact, I've just realised that what I've described sounds a bit like stereotypical Hispanic gang members in popular culture, but that's what they look like in the picture!

• 2 weeks later...

this was the picture I was thinking of (that b_F posted a long time ago)! finally dug it up from my computer hahaha can you imagine what goes on at these gatherings?! I love how hayashi-san is goofing off, the shiotani bro's faces are partly concealed, tsujita with the half smile lean, yamane with the camera, and tsujimoto father and son as well...

vdst.jpg

Edited by aho

According to the article on the Osaka Five on the Japanese Streets website, Shigeharu Tagaki is the founder of SDA. However, SDA had an expo of their winter lines recently at Take5 and I met their head designer Yuji Tamanaha (he appears in The Denim Book). Benny said that Yuji is pretty much the one in charge of the company, with Tagaki-san owning it. But yes, I suspect that's Tagaki in the white shirt next to Yamane.

Whoops, I just realised that in the article Takeshi Kawata is described as the chief designer at SDA. Yuji gave me his business card (and like a true denim geek, I have stored it away) and my wife just translated his title as Head of Business. Bear in mind, that's what it reads in Chinese, but it's fairly clear.

• 7 months later...

A little summary from Kyle about the Osaka5 over on rawr

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2014/03/history-osaka-5/

A comment from me on the topic of Evisu just to refresh my mind: was the "brand" that Yamane and Tsujita founded in the shop they worked in Rodeo? (or what was it?)

And thus the evolution would be Rodeo -> Evis -> Evisu?