The Osaka Five

flex0r

Denime---Evisu---Fullcount---Warehouse---Studio D'artisan

I thought there should be a place to discuss these brands, share information, and ask questions, besides the two that have their own separate threads.

Lately I've become interested in these five brands, and I am intent on collecting at least one model from each. Specifically, their starting models. I know almost nothing about the history these brands except Evisu and Fullcount, but I assume it is as follows:

Denime - XX Type (50's cut?)

Evisu - 2000 (66 cut?)

Fullcount - 1101?

Warehouse - 1000xx

Studio D'artisan - SD101?

Sort of, but most are just certain cuts, i.e. the SD103 thread and Denime is only really mentioned in the black jeans threads IIRC. I thought maybe they could be merged possibly? Nah, too much work. Tweeds will decide if this thread is worthy.

If you looked at the fading properties of the flagship models alone, you would already learn alot about those five brands. This is my guesstimate at the speed that each of theose jeans wears down at:

slowest to fastest:

Evisu - 2000

Studio D'artisan - SD101

Fullcount - 1101

Denime - XX Type

Warehouse - 1000xx

i cant speak for fullcounts or SDA, and we know how fast the warehouse denim fades, but my denime xx are fading pretty slowly.

at first i thought they were losing indigo rapidly (ie. small bits of loss after only a few wears), but ive been wearing them hard since mid december (maybe 4 1/2 months effective wear or therabouts), and there's very little indigo loss for that amount of wear.

I heard recently that the competition between the Osaka 5 is pretty fierce. And each person's philosophy about repro-denim is extremely different. Sorry if this doesn't add jackshit to the disscussion.

This is the sort of thing I wanted to hear/read. Obviously they do have different philosophies, and it goes along with how slow/fast they fade. Evisu, Fullcount and SDA are the more fashion-y brands, while Warehouse and Denime are more vintage. Warehouse being workwear based and denime being...maybe more motoring based? Not like Samurai's Motor Club stuff, I'm thinking hot rods and street racers.

edit: What exactly did you hear about how they're competing?

edit: What exactly did you hear about how they're competing?

Let's just say that a few of them have quite a history together. Like every business relationship sometimes it all goes to shit. You can just tell by the different personalities, for instance, Yamane has always been the marketing guru. He's made the most money in this, so you can kind of figure it out.

Warehouse has transformed itself in to a sort of RRL-ish brand. (Or you can say RRL was influenced by Warehouse) But it's become more of a lifestyle brand, which I think separates it from the rest of the repros.

wow chicken, for some reason I had never seen that thread, even with the bump a few months ago. that was really informative. trying to +rep but i must spread around...

i had a feeling sugarcane was pretty old, but for some reason i thought they were older. weren't the union pacific jeans (with the star backpocket) supposed to be a repro of jeans toyo had made in those days?

edit: looked up the Union Star jeans on BiG's website, its a repro of jeans made in 1965, not 1800s or anything

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

well boys, the checks in the mail. i'll post fit pics and shit when the precious arrives. i wont start rockin em heavy for a minute, since im only 2.5 mos in on my FC1108s. for now these are soak-day only status. then ima put em through the gauntlet!!!

I got to do a trip to Osaka a couple years back, and hope to again this year.

THIS time I plan to take enough $$$ to get my souvenirs of all the Osaka 5. (probably in the form of these 'denim pants' everyone here seems like so much)

From BiG I have Warehouse, with Fullcount on the way. That leaves...

Evisu 2001 no1

D'Artisan 001's

Denime... XX probably, but I'm not as familiar with their offerings.

Throw in picking through Sams, Skulls, Canes... If I come back with fewer than 4 new pairs I'll be astounded.

they are part of the 5.. ive cheked my magazine sda is indeed no 1, followed by evisu , then fullcount denime and samurai tied and last is warehouse

they are 6 actually confirmed by my magazine lightining osaka edition

so edmond what you are saying is that there is actually the 'osaka 6', and samurai is the 6th? thats cool. now i have 1/2 of the syndicate's jeans. so the warehouse twins started after nogami-san? very interesting....

but you still have to post pics and info:D

• 1 year later...