Shimo-Kitazawa

zelmo

hahaha,, a bit of wee almost popped out..

are you being serious?! thats the exact area i was told to rent in.. i dont like the sound of it being as american as poss. i heard its got alot of vintage stores, cafes, music venues..

i'd be interested if peeps knew a bit more too.. cheers!

I guess what I mean is that it seemed like every other store sold vintage American housewares from the '50s and '60s, and all the clothing stores seemed to follow the same pattern.

It definitely seemed like there was a lot going on (none of which, as a gaijin, I knew anything about), so don't let this dissuade you from living there.

shhh...keep it down guys. haha.

Shimokitazawa is still a bit of a hidden treasure. Yes it is full of American Vintage gear but it is also full of great record stores, good food and great little bars.

If i was back in Japan i would definately live there as i only discovered in the last few weeks i was living there.

It has a great vibe, feels like it is far from the hustle and bustle of Shibuya,Ginza etc...and isn't a tourist "cool spotting" precinct like Harajuku. It feels like only the people that are there know it is cool and it is a secret.

shimo-kitazawa is most definitely a great place to live - right now there is some compaign to "Save Shimokitazawa" as they are trying to run a highway through it...not sure if it is going on still but i heard about it a few months ago.

everyone that has come to visit me has loved shimokitazawa the most because it has the most "neighborhood-y" feeling. it's a huge tangle of sidestreets filled with great shops, cafes, etc.

should also check out Kichi Joji..it's bigger but it's still got a nice feel and less crazy than Shib and Hara. it's a few stops away from Shimokitazawa on the Inokashira express line.

Edited by sugarboots on Oct 9, 2005 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

shimo-kitazawa is most definitely a great place to live - right now there is some compaign to "Save Shimokitazawa" as they are trying to run a highway through it...not sure if it is going on still but i heard about it a few months ago.

everyone that has come to visit me has loved shimokitazawa the most because it has the most "neighborhood-y" feeling. it's a huge tangle of sidestreets filled with great shops, cafes, etc.

should also check out Kichi Joji..it's bigger but it's still got a nice feel and less crazy than Shib and Hara. it's a few stops away from Shimokitazawa on the Inokashira express line.

Edited by sugarboots on Oct 9, 2005 at 08:09 AM

--- Original message by sugarboots on Oct 9, 2005 08:08 AM

nice! thanks for the info sugarboots.. do you know if there are any guesthouses in that area? or either of em? i found a great room in harajuku, buts it 100,000yen a month.. pretty expensive if i am not gonna be able to get a job out there..

please reply if possible! thanks!

thomas !

yes i know there of one guesthouse in shimo and i'm sure there are more - i think it is run by the SAKURA line of guesthouses. idaknow a website but you could poke around google. the tough thing is that a LOT of people want to live in Shimo as it's only 1 stop away on express from shibuya (which is only 1 stop from harajuku) AND it is 2 stops from shinjuku on the express...so it's a very desirable place to live. getting into gaijin houses in those areas might not be so easy. it's like a person leaves, a person fills the spot type of deal. not sure exactly how it all works because i've never dealt with guesthouses and i heard that some companies can be pretty shady..but i know 1 girl who lives in a guesthouse there and i am PRETTY SURE that it is run by SAKURA. i don't know her well and only met her twice so i wouldn't be able to pass her info to you either since i don't have it....as for kichi joji - i'm sure there are guesthouses there too....i would mess around on google....

www.sugarboots.com

yeah ive looked alot on sakura.. its pretty good price and alot of guesthouses + apartments to choose from.. looks like thats what im gonna go for!

with the teaching work.. if i havent got a BA would i be more of a 'classroom helper/aide' that fully fledged teacher?!

thankss! :)