What are you listening at right now

PeterJ

He might not have expressed it eloquently, but he has a point. This album is so concerned with the plight of Arican American people that it is much harder to relate to (on a lyrical level) for white people whose lives are far removed from da ghetto/black america.

To Pimp a Butterfly > GKMC imo. 

No way man. Maybe you've just listened to good kid too much.

Can anyone here recommend me some French raps? Doesn't have to be new or sanything. I haven't listened to any.

This album is so concerned with the plight of Arican American people that it is much harder to relate to (on a lyrical level) for white people whose lives are far removed from da ghetto/black america.

Not all music (or film or literature) is made for you or with you in mind at all. I'm sure the album is ass anyways because Kendrick sucks, but your/Fycus' argument is bullshit lol

yes that is obvious, but because it is made for people whose circumstances are so different to my own, it is harder for me to relate to/isn't as important for me. I didn't say that it makes it a worse album. It's not a complex idea.

Disagreeing with me in your post is sufficient. You don't need to downboat me.

Well, Fycus levelled it as a criticism ("afrocentrism" lol) I mean, do you expect to relate to power electronics? Fycus, do you push enough dope and spend enough to relate to something like Clipse? Or do you just dislike something when it makes you feel pangs of white guilt?

TLZRADIO03172015.jpg

1. Roman Flügel â€“ Spiritual Enhancer – Dial
  2. Hercules & Love Affair â€“ Do You Feel The Same? (6th Borough Project Remix) – Defected Records
  3. Woolfy Vs Projections â€“ Nina – Permanent Vacation
  4. Teedra Moses â€“ Be Your Girl (Kaytranada Edition) – Soundcloud
  5. Toro Y Moi â€“ Buffalo – Carpark Records
  6. Furns â€“ Swim Away – Gateway Music
  7. All We Are â€“ I Wear You – Domino Recording
  8. Max Graef â€“ Running feat Wayne Snow – Tartelet Records
  9. Uffe â€“ I Can Show You High – Tartelet Records
  10. Chet Faker â€“ Melt – Future Classic

http://www.thelovelydaze.com/mixtapes/the-lovely-daze-radio-268/

I don't want a lengthy review, but I feel like I should at least explain myself. That review was painful to watch no doubt, and the reasons he dislikes the album were far different than mine. 

To summarize the main point of my feelings, I feel like Kendrick is sanctimoniously telling people what is wrong with them, but how we are okay in the end. He is not preaching to everybody, but african americans in particular. This in itself is fine, as it is his goal to help uplift people and help change rap to bring it out of the rut it is currently in. This isn't a simple analysis of a culture and a recommendation how to make change. This is an upheaval of longstanding fundamental problems with culture in general, that crosses all racial boundaries. But why address races other than african americans as the faceless "others" ? Look at the lyrics, the collaborators, the themes, etc. He is speaking with his back facing most of the audience. I am all about proud but if any other race came off the same way is that not ethnocentric?

The key to solving problems is working together not speaking to a single party. Yes Kendrick reveals that his insecurities often cloud his judgement of other races and fueled hatred, but we are a merely a third party being referenced in the context of his sermon.

edit: fuck u too dooks!

Edited by Fycus

regardless of everyone's opinions on the new kendrick album, i can appreciate that fycus is at least bringing an interesting discussion to the thread. deux going around negging everyone who's talking about an artist he hates just contributes nothing to this community at all. fuck you deux

regardless of everyone's opinions on the new kendrick album, i can appreciate that fycus is at least bringing an interesting discussion to the thread. deux going around negging everyone who's talking about an artist he hates just contributes nothing to this community at all. fuck you deux

lmao I didn't neg Fycus for mentioning Kendrick, I did it because his "discussion" (afrocentrism as a criticism?) is so cringeworthy and completely impertinent to discussion of the music 

fwiw, I think posting good music to this thread is "contributing to this community" far more than posting wack self-important commentary but whatever

HRZpul9.png

halfway through on a listen-along, it's been a mixed bag so far. i hate all his vocal affectations/modulation, especially the verse where he's trying to cry, and alright seems like a really poor attempt at radio crossover, but i certainly feel more positive about this than GKMC

e:honestly far better than I expected, might even re-listen in a day or so - strong second-half, nice conceptual evolution that's summarized by the closer

e:listening through again, there's even a Jan Jan shout-out

Edited by pas de deux

I listened to again last night. I appreciate the album and think its very well done- does that make you happy dooks?

I mean, you can think whatever you want about it but having listened to it twice, accusing a black musician who created an extremely personal album of afrocentrism, expecting him to hit some kind of racial diversity quota with his collaborators, or just expecting him to address a general audience on anything but his terms is kind of ridiculous and entitled imo 

TLZRADIO03312015.jpg

1. Funk Factory â€“ Rien Ne Va Plus – ATCO Records
  2. Lilacs & Champagne â€“ Roses & Kisses – Temporary Residence LTD
  3. Rainy Milo â€“ ‘Bout You – Big Picnic Records
  4. Crackazat â€“ Moon Ballad – Local Talk
  5. Thundercat â€“ Oh Sheit it’s X – Brainfeeder
  6. Me’Shell Ndegeocello â€“ I’m Diggin’ You (Like An Old Soul Record) – Maverick
  7. Peven Everett â€“ Baby Won’t You Try Me? – Makin’ Moves
  8. Linkwood Family â€“ Miles Away – Firecracker Recordings
  9. The Supreme Jubilees â€“ It’ll All Be Over – Light in the Attic
  10. Leon Bridges â€“ Lisa Sawyer – Columbia Records

http://www.thelovelydaze.com/genre/hip-hop/the-lovely-daze-radio-272/