Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

by the way, how is the stretch of the denim used in the 1947? I have found that the 2009s stretched a bit more than other denim types, but not in the APC level of stretch. Sammys i have tried have not stretched as much as other denim types.

I get some stretch out of the waist and top block in the 1947 (probably about an inch in the waist if pushed). Straight from a wash, they are a shade uncomfortable in this area but after a day or two they fit perfect. Don't expect miracles though - it's quite stubborn denim.

I couldn't let the waist shrink at all on my 47s, so I soaked them (twice) and kept stretching the waist while they were wet.  This kept them close to their original measurement.  At some point soon I'm going to need to give them a warm wash and see if the legs get any narrower.    

Looking at my notes, my SC1947 are tagged size 36, and started between 36" and 36.5" raw (measured BiG style).  

I'll measure them again this evening and let you know where they're at after a few wears.  I'm guessing 36.5 to 37".  

Edited by setterman

• 1 month later...

A page or two back someone mentioned wanting to see how 40500 Edo Ai ages. Well i don't have Sugar Cane's version, but i do have a pair of jeans made of the same fabric. Artist Demim MTO in Nihon Menpu SC 40500. maybe they aren't relevant here but for reference's sake since i can't find 40500 evo elsewhere. 

they've had 55 wears, a hot soak and 2 washes. they have no leg twist since the fabric was pre-soaked before being sewn into a pair of jeans. i have to say they lose dye quite readily though and now look quite pale. 

ADSC%2040500%20Edo%20Ai-1.jpg

ADSC%2040500%20Edo%20Ai-4.jpg

ADSC%2040500%20Edo%20Ai-2.jpg

ADSC%2040500%20Edo%20Ai-3.jpg

ADSC%2040500%20Edo%20Ai-5.jpg

Edited by DhaDha

Sugar Cane's type II is a perfect rendition of that classic style.  I saw an unwashed one at Toyo's offices last year and freaked out because of how much better it felt than the one-wash version in stores.  Had them make us up a batch without the one-wash process, excited to see them show up soon.

I need to sell them since they're too small now, but I just mean in terms of what they used to do... Natural indigo, slack, etc. it was all amazing but not gimmicky at a reasonable price point.

There's nothing wrong with what they do now and maybe it's more in line with Sugar Cane's repro image, I just think that there are not many companies that make really unique/special denim in fuller cuts like SC used to.

Other than the new SDA, which I will definitely be getting!

Yeah I know, just playing. I think it was established over on DB that Sugar Cane could no longer produce those more innovative styles, as there was no margin in it (perhaps even loss-making). It's likely that the big money years for most JP denim companies are behind them unless they turn to the overseas markets, given the contraction of domestic demand, from what I understand...

Anyone else think its super lame that sugar cane doesn't do anything cool re: denim anymore?

yes, the last "different" thing i saw them do was the cotton/wool blend which i don't find appealing at all..even something they used to do right like the 66 they added the star and made it worse..i wish they'd do some cool new things but it seems unlikely for some reason, it's also hard to say this b/c i'm a big fan of some SC stuff

Edited by ironheartfan123

Sugar Cane still produces some really amazing types of denim for Mister Freedom's collection in all weights ranging from 11oz to 14.5oz in both 100% cotton and mixed fiber styles.  I'd say those are extremely interesting and still somewhat under the Sugar Cane brand.

Yeah I know, just playing. I think it was established over on DB that Sugar Cane could no longer produce those more innovative styles, as there was no margin in it (perhaps even loss-making). It's likely that the big money years for most JP denim companies are behind them unless they turn to the overseas markets, given the contraction of domestic demand, from what I understand...

whats DB?