Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Hi have always been a big fan of SC and currently have quite a few pieces.  I have always loved their attention to detail in every garment!

I like that the fit of the Lot 1947 is a more accurate reproduction of the 501 in 1947.  They use a 14.25oz selvedge denim woven on vintage shuttle looms and colour matched to the originals.

I've also just received the Lot 2014, which is the slim version of the Lot 1947 with a lighter fabric at 12oz.  Has anybody had any experience with these?

Does anyone know how to size on a pair of SC55s? I assume you'd go TTS as with 47s, Hawaiis, Okis, etc, but the 55s (somehow) seem an entirely different beast so all comments are welcome.

I haven't had my pair in 5+ years (I mistakenly gave them away to someone I now hate), but I wore a 32. Likewise, I'm currently wearing a size 32 in the 1947. I *think* the 55 is a slightly slimmer jean, weirdly enough.

I bought my pair of 55's in 2006 in size 34 which was TTS at the time (my other jeans were Imperial Dukes size 34 and Nudie Regular Ralfs size 34 (yes, 'R'alfs). For some reason the 55's were baggy-arsed (compared to the Dukes), even after two hot washes and hot tumble dry. 

I now wear 47's in size 32 and since my weight hasn't changed much since then, just shows how body composition can make a huge difference in sizing. 

Edited by indigo_junkie

Does anyone know is Sugar Cane put out a denim shirt using the Sugar Cane denim? Im in search of one if so.

Mister Freedom actually did that last year using a lightweight Okinawa fabric.

• 3 weeks later...

I still contend that the SC1947 is the best jean in the world.

Agree with that. I bought some a few years backs and sized up far too much expecting more shrinkage. Two options - sell or hold on until I put on some timber. Got to be the second, they're too good to let go.

Perfect fit IH. Everything else too: wallet, lanyard, boots is complimenting them really nicely.

Sugar Cane Star Union 321N boot cut jeans

Been meaning to post some pictures of these, picked them up for a song during the self edge warehouse sale and my wife has been wearing the jeans a couple days a week since then. Don't know much about them and I can't find any reference to them anywhere. Either way they are very nice, unsanforized denim with minimalist detailing. They were pretty snug at first but my wife said they have stretched out to be pretty comfortable. Some Pics --

DarzuH8.jpg

brheWHW.jpg

Ipc2V1M.jpg

jSDzUzu.jpg

hcEIQjM.jpg

3C4kf9L.jpg

dxJQ8WX.jpg

Fit Pic

yL2MGD8.jpg

Those were released about 10 years ago, amazing denim and trim, but the fit was so restrictive that most women couldn't fit into them.  Love those jeans, just wish they worked better with a wider range of bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am interested in getting a pair of unwashed Sugarcane 1947s. I have a pair of SC 2009s, also unwashed when bought, to compare to. I bought the 2009s in size 32 a couple of years ago but I avoided hot soaking them since the hem was a little short to begin with. I was only able to try on a one-wash 1947 vs an unwashed 2009 in the shop and the waist sizes were a lot different. The unwashed 2009 were almost loose while the one wash 1947 were really tight. I don't think I was able to close the top button in the shop. 

Now, I have gained a little weight and the stretched size 32 2009s fit just right (maybe a little tight on the legs). Do you guys think I should get the unwashed 1947s in size 33 or 34? I saw at history preservation that unwashed size 34 1947s are a 36.5 waist? would this be accurate?

^^History Preservation measures the waistband circumference, and not straight across the waist x 2 like just about every other US-based retailer. I've found their measurements to always be accurate in the sense the waist circumference of the unwashwed tag 34 you saw on the site will measure 36.5". That being said, a lot of people are not used to that style of measuring here in the US and the pair will obviously be smaller than a pair measured by BiG or Self Edge with a similar raw waist of 36.5". I agree with setterman that a BiG-style measurement would likely be closer to 35". If you go the History Preservation route, then you should definitely measure an existing pair the same way as shown on their site to ensure a proper fit through the waist. You could also email Charles and see if he'd measure a pair for you in manner in which you're more familiar (i.e. BiG).

Edited by Projectp