Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Hey guys, I just picked up a Sugar Cane Type III and thought I'd share some photos. I'm pretty stoked on this — it was a great value, fantastic denim for the money. It's only had about 2-3 days of wear. No soak, but it's a one-wash.

o8R00Sf.jpg

YhZINGI.jpg

Iv6vgSE.jpg

nDUmx66.jpg

Hey guys, I just picked up a Sugar Cane Type III and thought I'd share some photos. I'm pretty stoked on this — it was a great value, fantastic denim for the money. It's only had about 2-3 days of wear. No soak, but it's a one-wash.

o8R00Sf.jpg

Iv6vgSE.jpg

The stitching and hardware are perfect on this. The details make this the best looking Type 3 I've seen on the market. Great photos and great pick up. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, big newb here, looking to expand my denim collection. I only have numerous pairs of raw levi 501's(always 36x36), a pair of edwin nashville's (34x34 that fit like 36x36) and a pair of LVC 1944's(also a 36x36), as you guys can tell, I like the "vintage" fit as it goes with my body type a bit better. My question to you guys, regarding SC denim is this. Should I get a pair of 1947s in raw, or a pair of 2009s in one wash. Obviously they're different fits, but I am personally looking for something a bit slimmer. Although, I do like having a bit of room in the top block, and the way my waist is, I like higher Front/back rises. Anyway, with both pairs being within a dollar on Rakuten, I'm asking you guys how I should spend my moneys! Thanks ahead of time!

So, big newb here, looking to expand my denim collection. I only have numerous pairs of raw levi 501's(always 36x36), a pair of edwin nashville's (34x34 that fit like 36x36) and a pair of LVC 1944's(also a 36x36), as you guys can tell, I like the "vintage" fit as it goes with my body type a bit better. My question to you guys, regarding SC denim is this. Should I get a pair of 1947s in raw, or a pair of 2009s in one wash. Obviously they're different fits, but I am personally looking for something a bit slimmer. Although, I do like having a bit of room in the top block, and the way my waist is, I like higher Front/back rises. Anyway, with both pairs being within a dollar on Rakuten, I'm asking you guys how I should spend my moneys! Thanks ahead of time!

Oh yeah, btw gang, the waists in all my denim measure to +/- 18inches.

A couple of things.

I'd go for a 34 (provided rise and/or thigh is satisfactory) in either model as both will stretch 1.5"–2" for sure. On SE, the 2009 is 34" and 1947 is 33.5", both one washed so practically no shrinking. Saying that, the 2009 is considerably slimmer than the 1947... 

Why not just buy them from SE? $249, no tax if you are outside Cali and free shipping. At least you can return them if you screw up.

If you like more vintage or repro cuts, then I'd say get the 47s, however, as you mention a preference for something slimmer, then the 2009 could be the right choice, although they have a relatively low rise and slim thigh. They are also lighter, more of a summer weight denim. Overall I'd say get the 1947s, as they seem to fulfil more of your requirements and they can look great sized down slightly - I think this is what Sugar Mountain did (check his posts on here for pictures).

I didn't really size down in my 47s but I bought my usual tagged size of 31 and the waist measured half an inch under tagged size when new (one wash). They stretch out to a perfect fit within a couple of days of wear and still look a bit trimmer than if I had sized up to a 32, which I believe SE recommends. The 2009 is still more fitted through the thighs and particularly from the knee down.

The fit I wanted was like the Hinoya model here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/sc41947a/

The only reason I'm thinking of getting them from Rakuten is the fact that I'd be saving literally 100 bucks on them. With that being said, I can't really read that site and dont really know what I'd be getting. I'm a bit scared of getting the 34's in the '47s as I have a feeling that I'd muffin top like a bitch in them! I'm so torn, now Im thinking of getting the 47's and leaving the 2009s alone. I wouldnt be able to deal with a low rise jean, I honestly hate anything sitting below my hips...

Edited by Spoonylove

I think if you are not entirely confident with working out the correct size before buying on Rakuten, you should avoid it and pay the extra at SE. I understand the big attraction of the money saved but you take a risk. I guarantee that if you get your correct size and desired fit in a pair of Sugarcane 1947, you will still be wearing them for a long, long time after you've forgotten how much they cost. Trust me, you'll love them. Besides, you can always buy your second pair of 1947s from Rakuten in 2018!

o8R00Sf.jpg

YhZINGI.jpg

Iv6vgSE.jpg

nDUmx66.jpg

Great jacket, Where did you pick it up? Spent a little bit of time trying to hunt one down online and havent had much luck on the type III.

I think if you are not entirely confident with working out the correct size before buying on Rakuten, you should avoid it and pay the extra at SE. I understand the big attraction of the money saved but you take a risk. I guarantee that if you get your correct size and desired fit in a pair of Sugarcane 1947, you will still be wearing them for a long, long time after you've forgotten how much they cost. Trust me, you'll love them. Besides, you can always buy your second pair of 1947s from Rakuten in 2018!

I really appreciate all the help, brother! The only problem Ive run into now is the fact that SE doesn't have a 34 or a 36 in stock! :-(

I really appreciate all the help, brother! The only problem Ive run into now is the fact that SE doesn't have a 34 or a 36 in stock! :-(

Fresh restocks are hitting all of our stores on Tuesday.

Spoonylove, I joined this a bit late, but the 2009 for me fit exactly like my downsized 501stf (they didn't have the exact size for me but the silhouette was almost identical.) That being said, you should definitely check the jeans out In-store or order through SE. The ease of mind and the right advice are very much worth the extra money, as opposed to the gamble of Rakuten. 

Holiday Sale! Not trying to spam but if anyone wants both a Hawaii and an Okinawa, completely untouched, Size 33, i'll get them both shipped to you for $220. Just want to get these out of my closet! Just want them to go to a good home, and i'm tired of breaking them out just to look at the denim and details and sigh that they're not my size...

Was just in Tokyo and tried to buy the 2014 at Hinoya but they said size 28 is sold out all over Tokyo  :(

Looked arouned Rakuten and found a few sellers in Osaka who have stock. My size 28 arrived and fits great. Can't wait for the summer to start breaking these in

SugarCane Okinawa

No extensive review of these (yet?!) as it is a well known model. But I give you some actual measurements and one of the worst fit pics you'll find around here nowadays :D

All pre-soak

Size 34

waist: 35,2"

fr: 12,75"

br: 17,3"

thigh: 13,5"

knee: 10,1"

lo: 9,25"

inseam: 35,9"

16070208658_7a73c80451_z.jpg16255909911_eaee9ed5dc_z.jpg15635331864_4c7222c98f_z.jpg

ps: sorry hog!

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Ok, just to please Hoggy here is a little review. The no-picture review edition!

Fit

From what I read and know, the Okinawa is based on Sugar Cane’s own interpretation of the Levi’s ’47 cut. So you have a high/high-ish rise, a snug waistband from which the hip area “flares†out resulting in a generous top block, room in the thighs (but not too much, see measurements) and a slight taper. The fly is pretty long and when you take a look at the fly alone it looks a bit strange but blends in with the overall aesthetic. The back pockets are mid-sized and well placed so your butt doesn’t look bigger (as it might already be). No problem to but my OGL wallet inside.

The leg opening allows you to wear all kind of boots but also sneakers should work with them.

Denim

The Okinawa uses a 14,25oz LHT denim that is woven from 50% cotton and 50% sugarcane fibers. The sugarcane should be from the island Okinawa but who can be really sure about that? Although LHT denim is known to be soft, this denim is quite rigid. It is more rigid than the RHT denim from OOE or the denim used on the WH 1001SXX, for example.

Many people claim the SugarCane denim to be scratchy and itchy due to sugarcane fibers poking out. But I can’t confirm that.

The texture is amazing though. A nice slubby and irregular texture but not very hair. When you stroke over the denim you feel many little bumps and the whole denim has a very rigid and dry feel to it.

After the soak the denim got darker.

What I wasn’t aware of when buying them, the weft has a distinct brownish tint.

Details

Like most Sugar Cane models, the Okinawa model is also loaded and loaded with details. Hidden rivets, check. Hidden selvedge in the coin pocket, check. Multi colored threads used all over, check. Interesting fabric used on pocket bags, check. Lined back pockets, check.

As you know, instead of your usual leather patch you will find a snakeskin patch made of python from Okinawa. Little tip from me here: when you use a belt with those jeans it will rub off the red paint very fast (already happened a bit on my patch… :(  )

The belt loops a raised but only a bit. They are huge and can fit an enormous belt if necessary. None of my belts would exhaust those belt loops.

The buttons look very nice and are made of different materials.

They have a very pronounced leg twist, nearly 80° (on the right leg  as usual for LHT denims). Not only because of the shrinkage of the denim but also because of the way they were cut. Even in its raw state the outseam of the right leg was twisted. Could be by intention of the designer.

I think that’s it for now :D