Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

• 2 weeks later...

im starting to think that the SC Oki's are my favorite jean ever.  The cut is fantastic, the pocket bags and back pocket lining are a really nice addition that you dont see that often.  The denim tho, is great.  Its slubby, has tons of texture and just feels nice.  The only minor thing I would possibly want is a donut  style button.  I always wanted a pair of SC's, but these really took me by surprise.  maybe im 6 years late to the party!

What size did you get Gnomes? How do you find the waist and thigh?

• 2 weeks later...

While I have no personal experience, we've been selling a ridiculous amount of these at SENY. The fit is pretty perfect for most people. 

Seconded. It's a really perfect slim tapered fit, and that denim is soooo comfortable. You can size it true, or up if you want a little more room, while maintaining a slim sillohuette. 

/\ Do you recall the raw waist on those? And do you reckon they'd stretch much beyond where they are now mate?

sorry Hoggy, just saw this.  I think raw ( they were one wash so by raw I mean when I bought them) they were 32" or so.  I recall them being snug, but it didnt take much to get some stretch into them.  I would imagine they would go out to about a 34" if needed.  I require anywhere from 33.5"-34" or so to be comfortable, depending on where the rise hits.  My waist physically measures 35" with a tape measure where I wear my jeans normally

Edited by garden gnomes in space

i unexpectedly came upon a pair of raw 1947s; after a 30-45 mins warm soak and line dry they have a perfect loose fit everywhere but the waist which is a little snug though should stretch out just fine.  my only fear is that everything will shrink up significantly with repeated washings and i'll end up wishing they were one size larger.  this is my first experience with the raw SC denim, anyone have opinions/experience with it?  thank you!

i unexpectedly came upon a pair of raw 1947s; after a 30-45 mins warm soak and line dry they have a perfect loose fit everywhere but the waist which is a little snug though should stretch out just fine.  my only fear is that everything will shrink up significantly with repeated washings and i'll end up wishing they were one size larger.  this is my first experience with the raw SC denim, anyone have opinions/experience with it?  thank you!

They'll definitely shrink more if you throw them in in an agitated wash, but you should be fine. They should only ever shrink back to where they are now if you stick to the same washing routine. 

Got a pair of Hawaii's with the tags still on (flasher), size 33 that are too big for me... If anyone is interested in buying them or trading for a 32 or maybe a 31, let me know and we'll work something out. Pictures on request. Thanks! 

Measurements: 

Waist 33.5"

Thigh 12.5"
Leg Opening 9.2"

Front Rise 12"

Edited by DFreshLeish

After a bit of searching, I'm finding only once-washed versions of the 1947. Do raw unsanforized versions even exist?

Ok maybe they do. This looks interesting:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/sc-pt-sc41947n/

So I'm looking to size similar to my 501STFs to get a slimmer, but not exactly slim fit of these. I went true to size with those. I'm a 33.5" waist. So i'd probably be better off with ordering size 32 of those which measures roughly 33", since sugar cane is reputed to stretch a bit past pre-soak measurements. I feel like I'm doing this correctly, but being American, I hate centimeters...

Edited by Coolguyzack

Jackle, I only saw Hawiis, Okinawas, and something called edo. But idk if that just means they're different denims in the same 1947 cut.

Bradl, lol I just mean there's room for error and I hope I didn't mess up, but I think I did ok in determing proper size. Also this pantshop avenue seems interesting. I wonder if they allow overseas return, should the sizing be messed up. Looks like something I'd have to email about, since i'm not seeing much about it in the return section. Then again google translate isn't the best.

Edited by Coolguyzack

Coolguy, I'd definitely suggest sticking with a slimmer cut if you want a slim fit, I tried to downsize my 1947s, having tried on the one-wash and been able to button them, I figured it'd be all good.  So I bought the same size, but raw (31).  My normal size is a 32.

Because of the tapered waist and the rise, the crotch was seriously snug.  I work from home, sit a lot of the day, and my ball were seriously aching after a few hours.  I know the rise is long, but the way the pants are built, it was riding me hard.

I ended up getting a size 32 and the fit is a lot fuller, but they are my most comfortable pair of jeans.  I'd consider getting the 2009s if I didn't already have too many jeans...

Moral of the story - not sure downsizing '47s was an option in my case.