question for the jetsetters...

sr20det

I used to be on Star Alliance (talking 6-7 years ago), pretty sure you just pick up an application form at the airport and then they sort it all out.

But, you really need to be doing some big big miles to make it worthwhile. I stopped because I started using budget Euro carriers ... RyanAir 29p one way, can't go wrong (except for the service and delays) icon_smile_wink.gif

Speaking of which, anyone got any Eastern European destination tips? I don't want to land somewhere that has no nightlife ... Riga worthwhile?

there are three large airliner alliances in the world: star alliance (based around lufthansa/united), skyteams (air france-delta-continental) and one world (BA). i think most business travellers and travel managers would agree on the advice to concentrate your miles on two networks: one of your local flagship carrier and another of your preference in accordance with destinations or to the network linked to your credit card. for instance, my local airliner is a star alliance member; my Amex membership award tranfers to Flying Blue (the merged programme between KLM's Flying Dutchman and Sky Blue, geddit?) hence i keep 99% of all my flights to two alliances: star and sky which is enough for global and local coverage. Air France is also excellent for hard-to-get destinations in the pacifics, which comes handy when vacation is due.

as for gold status: some, mostly smaller, airliners apply double standards for local residents and rest of the world, ie if you're joining star alliance, the best thing is to join SAS. while earned points on SIA or LH counts with same value, yet gold status arrive earlier if you live outside scandinavia. other airlines have other perks - in senator klasse and above for LH, the points never expire. as you may hear, i used to build an entire science around frequent flyer miles...

Star Alliance is pretty good. The use the following Star Alliance airlines pretty often:

United (continental US and service to Thailand and Japan)

USair (continental US and service to Caribbean)

Thai Airways (SE asia and Hong Kong)

Air Canada (Montreal baby!)

Also you might want to pick up an AMEX platinum card. YOu get complimentary companion tickets on international business class flights. And automatic Starwood Gold status, which means 4pm checkouts and auto upgrade at the W Hotels. Plus Hertz GOld and plus concierge service, which has been spotty.