Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

does anyone know when Blue in Green may be getting a shipment from Samurai? I remember asking in-store way earlier this year and was told May but it kept getting pushed back until late July (possibly August). Judging by the 710OG getting shipped out now (it seems), I assume BiG will be getting it soon too, among other things?

edit: to clarify a bit, i asked specifically about a pair that had hidden back pocket arcs

Edited by forget it

The 16ozOG version of the Type3 jacket is out and already sold out at Samurai HQ :D

But like always, I am sure you can still buy them for some weeks from 2ND.

Just a little opinion about the 710OG-sizing (I already shared withJohnM): in a perfect world Samurai did shrink tests with the fabric, found out that this 16oz denim shrinks noticeably more than the regular 19oz version and adjusted the cut accordingly and made them bigger. But with the Samurai-sizing we know, I wouldn’t trust this thought too much :D

I have been after a pair of them, but just can't fit them in right now. Will keep them on the to buy list.

Sticking with the original 33 as I am not really a fan of stretching the waist out. Excited to geta pair of jeans that I can actually keep clean and nice

^^ great pictures Bobbo! The 0500 is a "all-time classic". Love my pair

b_f,

Your comment about the 0500 prompts a question (for me) regarding the trimmer 710 cut.  The thing I really like about my S710XX (size 35) pair is that it is body conforming, almost rounded and curved, in a way that is very natural and comfortable, more so than most other jeans I own.  That said, the S710XX is a little large in the waist on me relative to the thigh, such that if I'm sitting down there's an opening in the back at the waist that is a little embarrassing, almost like built-in ventilation!  Hopefully no one will pour a glass of water in there as a practical joke!.

My question is whether other Samurai models (e.g., 0500) have the same body-conforming strengths of the 710 while being a little roomier in the thigh relative to the waist.  Since the 710 is a slim cut it's not surprising that the thighs tend to be narrow and trim.  Maybe I should consider another Samurai model that is similar to the S710XX but a little roomier in the thigh, thereby allowing me to size the waist at 34 instead of 35.  Thoughts appreciated.

John

Quick answer (before I read your PM).

The size 34 in the S0500 give you a similar fit to a size 35 in the 710 cut regarding the leg. But the waist should fit you better, snugger. The rise is a bit different...mhh...just check my signature for my fit guide to compare measurements :)

From a physical standpoint, organic cotton is generally softer and a bit lighter in color, and tends to break in more slowly (although this is still up for debate).

As far as farming methodology goes, organic cotton is grown without pesticides or insecticides, which is a huge boon to the environment (cotton crops account for almost 20% of all insecticide and pesticide use worldwide). Growing cotton organically does tend to use 5 to 10 percent more water than conventional methods--I'm not sure why exactly--but regardless, the creation and use of pesticides is much more environmentally costly than the increase in water usage.

Organic cotton farmers are generally better paid, although this is not always true, and is aided by the fact that 1/3 of cotton grown in the US is organic (cotton farmers in Western countries are better paid, on average). This leads me to believe that farmers do not always directly benefit financially from growing cotton using organic methods.

Cotton farmers do enjoy much better health, as harvesting cotton in chemical-laden fields is known to cause issues ranging from fatigue and skin irritation to blindness, organ failure and cancer. Because of this, I'm led to believe that cotton farmers do make more money over time as they avoid paying for services tied to chemical-related health complications.

So, as far as jeans go, using organic cotton doesn't make too much of a difference, besides a slightly softer hand. Depending on the buyer's views, the environmental and ethical benefits may make up for the higher price of production.

Edited by chicote

unloading tons of samurai from my collection posted some now on the market .

will posy more samurais and other brands in the coming days.

change in wardrobe.

From a physical standpoint, organic cotton is generally softer and a bit lighter in color, and tends to break in more slowly (although this is still up for debate).

As far as farming methodology goes, organic cotton is grown without pesticides or insecticides, which is a huge boon to the environment (cotton crops account for almost 20% of all insecticide and pesticide use worldwide). Growing cotton organically does tend to use 5 to 10 percent more water than conventional methods--I'm not sure why exactly--but regardless, the creation and use of pesticides is much more environmentally costly than the increase in water usage.

Organic cotton farmers are generally better paid, although this is not always true, and is aided by the fact that 1/3 of cotton grown in the US is organic (cotton farmers in Western countries are better paid, on average). This leads me to believe that farmers do not always directly benefit financially from growing cotton using organic methods.

Cotton farmers do enjoy much better health, as harvesting cotton in chemical-laden fields is known to cause issues ranging from fatigue and skin irritation to blindness, organ failure and cancer. Because of this, I'm led to believe that cotton farmers do make more money over time as they avoid paying for services tied to chemical-related health complications.

So, as far as jeans go, using organic cotton doesn't make too much of a difference, besides a slightly softer hand. Depending on the buyer's views, the environmental and ethical benefits may make up for the higher price of production.

Also organic cotton is never genetically modified. Genetically modified cotton is modified to either become a living pesticide (cannot be washed off) or modified to withstand massive amounts toxic chemicals such as roundup, dioxin, and 2,4-D (primary component in Agent Orange).

There are also problems with GM cotton such as roundup killing off butterflies by killing off milk weed (butterfly food) and BT cotton killing off bees and butterflies (which pollinate most of the worlds food) because the entire plant, including the pollen, becomes a living pesticide. This is not to mention the other ethical problems such as child slavery in GM seed factories (very common) and GM cotton caused farmer suicides (over two hundred thousand).

Basically there are many benefits of organic cotton that help to enhance biodiversity, food security, economic justice, natural cycles, and health (of people and planet).

Luckily though, many of the high-end Japanese denim brands don’t use GM cotton because of their high quality standards. I am almost certain that Samurai uses no GM cotton. I have been told point blank that IH and PBJ absolutely don’t use any GM cotton and I know of many others that use GM-free varieties (rare, heirloom, long staple, etc…). So buying high-end Japanese denim is already a good start. :) 

^All very good points!

I'd be surprised if any high-end Japanese manufacturer sources their cotton from GM farms, even though GM cotton makes up 43 percent of the world's cotton product each year. Most GM cotton is grown in the US and India, with Chinese farms being the fastest-growing market for GM seeds (67 percent of cotton grown in China is believed to be genetically modified today). There are a number of countries that reject introduction of modified plants on principle, Zimbabwe being the most notable, and the vast majority of high-end varieties, including all long-staple varieties (except Xinjiang cotton), are free of modification.

So, knowing that many Japanese manufacturers use long-staple varieties from Texas, Zimbabwe, etc. it is safe to say that your cotton is very likely non-GM.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

edit: this styleforum thread has a huge wealth of data on GM cotton varieties (scroll down to the last post): http://www.styleforum.net/t/350196/most-cotton-clothing-is-genetically-modified-the-official-list-of-gm-free-cotton-clothing/240#post_7249579

Edited by chicote