Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

The X100S is great but of course there's no way to put another lens on it. That being said if you know you like the camera, it's probably the one to get.

Alternative ideas would be:

Olympus 17/1.8 lens (35mm FF equivalent) on any of their bodies (though presumably E-M5 or E-P5 if you want similar manual controls) - this setup has the best autofocus by far, but the sensor is a bit smaller. A huge perk of Micro 4/3 is the amazing lens selection.

Sony NEX - There's a Sony 20mm (30mm FF equivalent) for $300 or the great Zeiss 24mm (35mm FF equivalent) for $1000, and the bodies are not very expensive.

Fuji X-E1 (or the more expensive X-Pro1) - Fuji is releasing a 23/1.4 (35mm FF equivalent) lens later this year according to their roadmap, so you could get the "feel" of the X100 mixed with the perks of an interchangeable lens system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Speaking from personal experience. After a ten day trip in Japan lugging around my Canon gear. I came home and went on a serious hunt for a smaller/more compact setup that offers the same great image quality as my 5D MKII.

After a couple weeks of testing cameras I settled on the Fuji X-Pro1. Absolutely KILLER camera and the interchangeable lenses is what made me choose it over the x100. But honestly the high ISO performance in low light is honestly better than my 5D MKII was. Imaqe quality is stunning. Only downsides in my opinion are the AF can be pretty slow sometimes, not the best for action shots.

Overall super happy and haven't regretted making the switch at all. This camera made me fall back in love with photography. With a big DSLR it's easy to get caught up snapping 100s of photos. With the X-Pro1 it forces you to step back and think about the photo composition. Taking me back to when I used to shoot with film and made every shot count.

Here are a few shots straight from the X-Pro1 no editing in LR.

1379872_10200726081785886_604692725_n.jp

999767_10200726083385926_1160482109_n.jp

1393747_10200726092586156_1219806144_n.j

12081_10200726120426852_618451837_n.jpg

Edited by ecsong187

I shoot with a Nikon J1. It is AMAZING. I was tired of carrying around my DSLR and having it get in the way of having some fun. I recently went on a trip to Italy this summer and I couldn't have been any happier with the pictures this camera was able to capture. I love the fact that the lenses are interchangeable. Unfortunately, it just sporadically decided not to turn on anymore. :/ I have to get a new battery or figure out it's issue once I get back to the US. But seriously, this camera was my bestfriend throughout my whole trip. :) 

UbqyL19l.jpgiifcMI4l.png0TpGZ45l.png

zaoXJSNl.png

T7dV896l.jpg

lhwLVM7l.jpg

smz3ENrl.jpg

NM7THIsl.jpgmM3ReLCl.png

Had. A. Blast!

sony might've just come out with full frame interchangeable mirrorless but for me, fuji's x series cameras are where it's at. they're leica like, not leica priced and balance function and form superbly. they're not a catchall camera. they don't excel at sport or wildlife and putting teles on em looks stupid but they're extremely capable. also, the af is much improved than before and the best part is fuji is one of the few companies that keeps updating firmware even for outdated models like the x100, which is still a fantastic camera.

The new Sony cameras don't make sense until there are some better lenses. Who wants to put a kit zoom on a $2000 camera? And $1000 for a 55/1.8 is ridiculous, as is $800 for a 35/2.8.  The only mirrorless systems that make any sense right now are Fuji, Micro 4/3, and Nikon 1. Each have their ups and downs, but I'd choose any of them over Canon/Nikon SLR for my personal shooting.

I'm using an Olympus E-M5 with three great primes (14, 25, 75) and a cheap tele zoom for when I need it, and while it's not perfect (manual focus is useless, and i wish the aperture controls were on the lens) it's the most fun camera setup I've ever had. However if I could live with nothing but a 35mm equivalent I'd throw it out and buy an X100s immediately.

Edited by ProfMonnitoff

Figured this is the best thread, but has anyone used a Nokton f/1.1 or the C Zeiss Lenses? Price between the two is negligible and I shoot a lot in low-light situations, and don't mind the manual focusing. I'd probably be putting either lens on a micro4/3 body most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone own sony alpha 7? i'm very intrigued by it, want to hear thoughts. it has a small battery life :/

Edited by fatKARLOS

• 4 weeks later...

Figured this is the best thread, but has anyone used a Nokton f/1.1 or the C Zeiss Lenses? Price between the two is negligible and I shoot a lot in low-light situations, and don't mind the manual focusing. I'd probably be putting either lens on a micro4/3 body most of the time.

If you're going to be putting it on m4/3 most of the time anyways, what about the new Nocticron 42.5/1.2? Or, check out a SpeedBooster..

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-nocticron-45mm-f1-2-officially-announced-price-1399-and-ships-in-march/

How do you all feel about the Ricoh GR?

Hella late passin but I have one. I'm a big fan. The lens is wide-angled so it's kinda hard to get a feel for distance and etc (I'm not a camera expert). I have a GRD3. Don't know much about THE GR or GRD4

• 4 months later...

Bringing the thread back from the depths. Just got a Canon s120. I was really debating between it and the Sony RX100 and RX100 II.

I finally found a review from a self-described non pro who used his camera exactly like I plan to and he went with the Canon. At least it saved me a few hundred bucks. Plus, my previous camera is a canon and I'm somewhat used to the interface which really can make a difference in how quick you can get the right pic.

Any recommendations for sites that give decent tutorials? Other than just youtube. I'm looking to learn when to use Auto vs. Aperture Priority, vs. Custom, etc. Thanks

if your looking at using a camera for primarily filming and don't feel like going the slr route look at a used or new panasonic gh2, with or without a hack (I'd strongly urge you to hack after purchase), a film at Sundance was shot with a GH2 running a driftwood hack, film is upstream color

Sigma's DP range is pretty good. Providing you have patience with it. Anybody here have experience with any of the Leica D-LUX series compacts?

Edited by yvessaint

I shoot with a Nikon J1. It is AMAZING. I was tired of carrying around my DSLR and having it get in the way of having some fun. I recently went on a trip to Italy this summer and I couldn't have been any happier with the pictures this camera was able to capture. I love the fact that the lenses are interchangeable. Unfortunately, it just sporadically decided not to turn on anymore. :/ I have to get a new battery or figure out it's issue once I get back to the US. But seriously, this camera was my bestfriend throughout my whole trip. :)

UbqyL19l.jpgiifcMI4l.png0TpGZ45l.png

zaoXJSNl.png

T7dV896l.jpg

lhwLVM7l.jpg

smz3ENrl.jpg

NM7THIsl.jpgmM3ReLCl.png

Had. A. Blast!

Some nice stills you have there. The sunset shot is a winner!  :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ if youre sure a 50mm equivalent lens is all you need, thats a good choice. but remember that if you decide later that you need a 35mm equivalent, the fuji 23mm costs 1000 dollars.

but try it out at a store first

Also heads up to anyone looking to buy an X100S now that the X100T is out: I recently compared the X100S to the original X100 with the latest firmware, and except for manual focus their performance is basically identical

I looked at the X100T and X100S as well, but I really want to have the option of changing lenses.

It might sounds stupid, but it would be cool if there was an equivalent to the Fuji camera, but with fewer buttons – I´ve looked at some Leicas, but I´m not confident enough to shoot without auto-focus and besides what´s the point of having a Leica if you edit the pics in the end? 

• 1 month later...

I've been really happy with the Sony RX100. It might not be what you're looking for - a glorified point and shoot with a zoom, but the Zeiss lens and intuitive interface yield surprising results in a small and accessible package that's easy to carry all the time. 

I like the Fuji X series cameras, too. Maybe you can find an X30 for a really good deal?