#1 Supawyde

Supawyde

bored

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • joined 24 november 04
  • denim:size 33

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone have any knowledge of The Hotel On Rivington? I've never really ventured into that area before, normally sticking to Soho etc. Is it safe, is what I'm really trying to say?

Cheers
Supawyde UK

#2 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

It's as safe as you can expect with a bunch of drinkers out and about! If you take a look at the LES map ( http://superfuture.c...?area=15&city=3 ) you'll see that the neighborhood has a bunch of bars, shops, etc. and the nightlife there is much more fun than in SoHo. My last two trips to NYC I stayed in NoLita and walked to LES both night and day, with a buddy, with women and by myself with no trouble - even smashed. Like any big city, you need to watch out, but there isn't anything there to really be afraid of.

Have fun!

#3 darkanimal

darkanimal

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • joined 20 january 05
  • biography:instagram: @darkanimalnyc @darkelephanttattoos

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

The very end of Rivington are the Projects! Nothing to be scared of.

IMO, one of your worst outfits. You look like an andrognous fat gym teacher, those shorts are blech.

NYC contestant #13
Monster Sale!!! Cloak, RAF, Dior, N(N), more!!!

#4 Blanc0

Blanc0

superbored

• Pip
  • 364 posts
  • joined 03 march 05

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:29 AM

i've stayed there, it's pretty nice; totally safe...i'd stay again.

#5 size08

size08

semibored

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • joined 12 august 05

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:13 AM

my fiance got us a room there back in april.
the lobby was still "under construction."
the bar is pretty small, and some of the "guests" are retarded.
heard the rates went through the roof since i stayed there.
miuzi weighs a ton

#6 kiteless

kiteless

semibored

• Pip
  • 142 posts
  • joined 09 march 04

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:35 AM

it's one of those many lower manhattan hotels owned by private equities with no hotelling experience and run by staff who may be aspiring models but never worked at a hotel. it's hideous. i'm not surprised that Surface design magazine (it was first conceived as a Surface Hotel) bailed out from the project very early and they've had problems finding financiers filling the gap. they've turning the top floors to serviced apartments - to reduce the number of rooms i may guess.

the weak dollar has created a huge influx of tourists to NYC and extreme shortage of hotel rooms at the moment. when that's gone - which will happen inevitably sooner or later - this, and many others will be out of business.

#7 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

I think the problem with the Rivington hotel is the old standby criteria for any real estate: "Location, location, location". The problem with hotel rivington is that its trying to hard. The design, the concept, everything about it is in direct opposition to the surrounding area. You go Rivington and you are just struck with how utterly incongruous the hotel is compared with the rest of the buildings. It shouldn't belong there. People aren't enamoured with they see it. No other location has guards/porters outside their entrances, just homeless people and the occassional drunk. I'm really surprised they allowed it to be financed and I'm not suprised that they converting many of the rooms to apartments because I can't see why anyone would want to stay there since there are so many better hotels in/around the area.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#8 ponyknockers

ponyknockers

bored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • joined 24 june 05

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

I've stayed there a few times, and although the scene in the hotel bar gets pretty crazy, the location is convenient. There are tons of other great bars and restaurants in the area that make it worth staying so close.
On my first stay, I had a corner room suite, and it was amazing, there were windows that surrounded the bedroom, which could be closed automatically. and the shower stall was a half frosted window to the outside. Flat screen tv's, and a tempurpedic bed. You can't beat that!
My second stay, my room was more of a box, with the window facing another buildings' wall.

I would definitely stay there again. Of all the places I've stayed in NYC, I prefer the Rivington.

#9 stickykrylon

stickykrylon

superbored

• Pip
  • 500 posts
  • joined 07 june 04

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

they charge 9 bucks for a heineken. F that shit.
dig.

#10 ABELnyc

ABELnyc

superbored

• Pip
  • 257 posts
  • joined 09 january 05

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

WAAAAAACK from the complete architectural letdown (it was supposed to be ILL when people heard who was desigining it, across the board disappointment) all the way to the overpriced garbage, incompetent staff and barely decent views.
~multiflavored RodLavers~
http://abelnyc.com
ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

#11 Dave Russ

Dave Russ

semibored

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • joined 26 may 04

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

I went to some good parties on the the top two floors which were quite nice...the views up there are second to none...but agreed, overall the hotel is toilet.
“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?” - Aesop Rock

#12 tomintoronto

tomintoronto

bored

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • joined 25 november 04

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

the area is pretty safe but this hotel is way overpriced for what you get..only the views are good, hotel has lots of growing up to do.
check out tripadvisor for more reviews.
cheers
Tom in toronto
hello everyone! love this site, lots of useful information and fun to read. Now live in Toronto but have also lived in Montreal, Prague, Cape Town and Miami.

#13 lost

lost

semibored

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • joined 15 june 05

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

I stayed there for a couple nights before they were officially opened. The service was questionable. The finishes were very nice. The bathrooms were really nice. Tempurpedic mattresses were very nice. Maid walking in on me and my girlfriend was not. The views are very subjective to the room you get. The top floor has incredible views but so does the brooklyn bridge.

My opinion. If you are looking to have a great vacation in NYC it is worth the extra bucks to stay at soho/tribeca grand. Or just wait until The Standard opens. Can't wait for that one.

#14 lost

lost

semibored

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • joined 15 june 05

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

As far as the area is concerned. Unless you are afraid of hipsters, you will be ok.

#15 Thorns

Thorns

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • joined 24 october 05

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:26 AM

Unbelievable views!!! Tallest building in the lower east side and when you fall asleep on your temperpedic mattress you can fall asleep to the lights of the manhattan skyline. Very hip neighborhood. Highly recommend the restaurant around the corner on Ludlow. Suba is fantastic (if you can actually get a table). I feel some previous reviews have been somewhat unfair as the hotel only just finished construction. The lobby and restaurant are now completed and (obviously) the hotel is now much nicer than it was pre-opening.

#16 JewDiamondPhillips

JewDiamondPhillips

bored

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • joined 24 october 05

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:29 AM

I want to bring an asian hooker there, sip brandy, and just talk.