Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Today I went to the farm where i buy bees wax for my leather pieces. While i was there i was able to take pictures of their bee colony, chickens and some other cools stuff. The farm also sells flowers, small amounts of organic produce, and different varieties of eggs.

7538144740_26a2eb1f98.jpg

7538149786_eacdc524cd.jpg

7538080946_d210a4d31f.jpg

Old combs getting ready to be cleaned and re used

7538100994_c45338b102.jpg

7538105470_179116041e.jpg

and the final product!

7538288846_4bd70a55f0.jpg

and an italian brown wallet

7538356288_c42b3001c0.jpg

i just finished reading through this entire thread and am really impressed by how much everyone has created and improved.

i decided to finally try my hand at it by making a passport holder... 5 oz tandy shoulder... learned a lot making it and still have tons to improve on... especially the burnishing. i dont know how some of you do it so well!

passport1.jpg

passport2.jpg

passport3.jpg

passport4.jpg

I recently inherited some leather crafting tools that belonged to my grandfather and started learning to make stuff. There's a lot of great work in this thread...i'm really inspired by guys like Hollows and Corter. I still have a lot to learn but I'm enjoying the process!

BasicMid-lengthWalletsmall.jpg

Edited by xallanx

Friday I like your strap, I have made a few watch straps for my personal watch but have yet to come across a great source for watch buckles. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by FALERBRAND

Well, if anyone was considering picking up the Tandy hand press and some die sets, they're all half price this month...

Its a great honour, but you flatter me too much hollows! There is still much for me to learn and improve on. And definitely still a long way to the standard set by the top tier Japanese craftsmen!

You really surpass many of the Japanese craftsmen that I have seen. Better start thinking about doing this full time, man.

Hey Guys,

Here is my latest card wallet - made from brown Horween Chromexcel leather and black crocodile hide. This combo worked out better than I thought it would, and hopefully the guy I built it for feels the same! Thanks for looking!

58231b15.jpg

d5bdab9a.jpg

You really surpass many of the Japanese craftsmen that I have seen. Better start thinking about doing this full time, man.

There's a lot of craftsmen that are way better too. Plus my knowledge and skills are still considered pretty limited and narrow.

Take this guy that I recently found on the net for instance. I don't think he hand sews everything, but even if they aren't, they're still mind blowing in every other rights. It is true artisans like them that really humbles me.

Besides, I take way too much time per item for converting to full time to be viable.

Edited by lazybum

Got a batch of some oiled burgundy and I really like it, so I decided to knock out a long wallet. Still relatively slim for a biker wallet, but definitley heftier than the usual 3oz veg tan I ususally use for this one.

Friday_and_River_Waseda_Long_Wallet_oiled_Burgundy.jpg

Friday_and_River_Waseda_Long_Wallet_oiled_Burgundy_Latigo_2.jpg

Hey Guys,

I was curious if anyone would possibly be able to get a hold of/sell me a small scrap of Oxblood Cordovan? I need a small strip for a repair on an Iron Heart mid length. All I need is like a strip maybe 3/4'' wide by maybe 4'' long. I have searched the net and can not find anything that doesn't involve buying a big piece for top dollar.

If someone could sell me a scrap I would be really appreciative. Thanks in advance.

http://badowers.com/...an-card-holder/

$170? Is that a bit excessive or is Cordovan really that expensive?

Assuming that wallet is a 3x8" strip sewn together, you're looking at making 5 per sq. ft. - even at top dollar (which that cordovan does not look to be) it's $18-20 worth of material. Assuming whoever made that was a professional, it couldn't have taken more than 25 minutes of time (non burnished edges, not shined or brushed, etc). The perils of wholesale means the shop probably bought them for $80 and the customer gets charged $170.