Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

^thanks, zack white seems to be a little cheaper.

Did you try ebay? They have some vintage Rex 27 snap/rivet setters for around $50 and they have that red Tandy setter for about $170 shipped.

Yeah, I saw those Rex 27 setters, but how hard is it to find dies for different snap sizes?

f14fd726b25811e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg9a0a915eb00f11e1989612313815112c_7.jpga5a693c4b26b11e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg17349eb4b26c11e188131231381b5c25_7.jpgca7be704ac6b11e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg

7297433956_aa09589a71_z.jpg7297433140_d42c6e1c37_z.jpg

Havent posted any pics lately, heres what Ive been up to.

Im kinda interested in the rex presses, just saw one for 30 bucks on the bay. would be very interested to know if regular dies from other presses would fit it as well.

I have to say right off the bat that I am really, really impressed by the quality you guys put out on a consistent basis. I've followed this thread and the other leather threads for some time now, and what I see continues to blow my mind.

I finally decided to try leathercrafting on my own and am ready to move past the practice/cheap leathers i initially bought. However, I'm having difficulty finding the exact leathers I want at the thicknesses I want.

Where are you guys getting thin w&c and hermann oak leathers? I'd love to use either one of their english bridle leathers, but they all seem to be 9+ oz. It looks like some of you are using stuff much thinner than that.

W + c will split natural strap/ tooling leather to whatever weight you want, for free. Hermann oak sells down to 2-3 oz, but no one really stocks it in that light weight, and to order direct, they have a ten side minimum. Id give W + c a call. I think they will charge you to split bridle leather, someone can chime in cause i dont use it. Hope that helps buddy

W + c will split natural strap/ tooling leather to whatever weight you want, for free. Hermann oak sells down to 2-3 oz, but no one really stocks it in that light weight, and to order direct, they have a ten side minimum. Id give W + c a call. I think they will charge you to split bridle leather, someone can chime in cause i dont use it. Hope that helps buddy

Well, I broke down and bought the Tandy hand press. I realized it came to $270 with a set of dies thanks to my gold membership :D Now, I want to put snaps on everything!

marineabilly - I really like the color combo and stud work.

Here's a slim long wallet I made recently. It's about 1/3 slimmer than the more traditional biker-style wallets I've made in the past but you can still pack it with stuff if you want to. I've been using it daily for about a month, and with 6 cards, some business cards, a few bills and receipts you hardly feel it in your back pocket.

Friday_and_River_Waseda_Long_Wallet_Closed.jpg

Friday_and_River_Waseda_Long_Wallet_open.jpg

Edited by Friday

Just read through the thread (from start to finish, so hopefully I can keep my stupid questions to a minimum.) and signed up to say 'Hi!'.

I've just started to dabble, and I'll see if I can get some photos up shortly. Love some of the stuff you guys are doing, hope I can work a few of your techniques and wisdoms into my own process.

I've heard a lot of good things about some of the higher end leathers, and while buying them exclusively is somewhat pointless for me at the moment, would anyone be happy to sell me a couple of square feet each of a few leathers I can use to fiddle with a bit? Unfortunately easy leather access isn't a widespread thing in upside-down-land (Australia), and it'd be nice to have a play with a few things before I bother grabbing an entire hide (much less the shipping costs for them, jesus.). Happy to take offcuts and edges, don't want to be taking the prime cuts from the hides from you guys.

edit: There was a bit of a chat about patterns before. I was contemplating, if/when the time comes, to CAD mine up and have them lasercut onto stainless or aluminium (or something else that won't rust.).

Edited by aujoiji

Nice snaps, corter! I owe you one for convincing me to buy that Tandy hand press. I just set 60 snaps (120 halves) in about 45 min. What a dream to use...

Nice snaps, corter! I owe you one for convincing me to buy that Tandy hand press. I just set 60 snaps (120 halves) in about 45 min. What a dream to use...

Hell yea dude! Makes things so much more enjoyable. I remember back when I did the Japan bracelets I got to 200 sets/hr, could probably never do that now but it makes working so much more enjoyable. What are you making with the snaps?