east asia [asia]

thomas_highstreet

whats the best country in the area?

as far north as the north-eastern tip of china

as far east as japan

as far south as indonesia

as far west as western border of china..

factors to be taken into account:

cost of living

cost of 'goods' (electrics, clothes, general costings of material goods)

ease of gettin work/job

pay [for foreign workers - english teaching etc. etc.]..

fashion

club/bar scenes

music scenes

general interesting things about place

etc etc..

Edited by thomas_highstreet on Sep 1, 2005 at 10:17 AM

what are you trying to do?

work or play?

For work - by far the easiest thing to do is teach english - if it's your native language. Korea and Japan are the biggest options with China and Taiwan in a close second. Japan is probably cooler that Korea, but you can save more money in korea. Though, I think privates a legal in Japan so you might be able to pull in some more money. Korea has a more Casual dress code while most jobs in Japan, i think, you have to wear pants and a tie.

I wear jeans a tee-shirts, in seoul.

As for traveling:

Japan is the most expensive.

China is hard to travel and they always want you to go in tours.

Thialand is over-run with foreigners but it's a nice central location.

Loas is AWSOME! poor but awsome. great places to chill, and by far the nicest people i've met.

Cambodia was hot and dry, and i'd skip it except for Ankor wat.

Malaysia was probably one of my favorite places from city life, to forests, to beaches. I think the beaches in Malaysia are far better than thailand, especially the Parathien Islands (not sure about spelling).

India, if you decide to go, it's vacation, it's travel. That place is CRAZY! I was there for 3 months and saw abotu a thrid of the place. Though it's hard to travel with girls, or your girlfriend, cause the men really hassle them - and are rude to them. I thinkit's easier for a guy to travel there.

hi folks,

maybe some of you can still give me some tips what to see and do on my asia trip.

i am planning to go there for just 1 month , and see bali first (where my girl lives now) -wanna climb a vulcano,go river-rafting, snorkeling, scuba diving, little surfing on bali-

then go to jakarta, then over to kuala lumpur - see some malaysian isles and beaches.

over to brunei , some sightseeing, nice culture over there,i heard

then to bangkok, -shopping, partying, getting couple tailored suits (30 euros each), over to

phuket, wanna do all the beach stuff, jet-skiing, paragliding,

still some tips for thai islands needed, which and what can you recommend.

then back to germany..

i know its a tight schedule. but i'll try..

i am thankful for any tips and recommendations.

dang dude dont forget to bring your super sonic trime travel watch ro get all that in. do you know how big and how long it takes to travel indonesia - alone?! just stay in bali and enjoy yourself. DANG! maybe, maybe go to one other place. Why rush yourself so you can't enjoy anything.

thanks for the reply savage :)

do you know anything about the whole visa thing? (for these countries)?!

i think im stil right in thinking japan would be best bet.. so im gonna carry on the plan to hook up teaching in tokyo..

has anyone done that? what visas did you use? what was it like? how did you 'teach'?!

thanks lads/lasses

not sure about Visa stuff. I know in korea that you get a teaching visa. Although AMericans in Korea get a 3 month tourist visa while Canadiens get a 6month. If you could get a 6 monther or longer you could just do privates.. but not sure about how stuff works there.

go onto: eslcafe.com

or you could talk to: jeansnow (also a member here) jeansnow.net