Moving to Tokyo from Brooklyn....Into underground Hip Hop.....What clubs/Shops ect....should I hit up....Thanks

BKNY

Moving to Tokyo from Brooklyn....Into underground Hip Hop.....What clubs/Shops ect....should I hit up....Thanks

Also trying to get some DJ work.

I spin underground Hip Hop , Soul , Funk ect...

I have 3 cd's for promotion.

I have a art gallery in williamsburg Brooklyn. I just showed Cope 2 and would like to curate a show in tokyo. any suggestions on some "Urban art" Gallerys ?

If you want to meet up in Tokyo to chill or have any leads drop me a e-mail

[email protected] ( Jesse)

I've just come back to London after a year in Tokyo.

I was DJing house music out there. Best advice is just pester everyone. I managed to play at least once a month just from blagging and putting my own nights on. If you didnt already know Hip Hop is massive now in Tokyo so you should be OK. Make sure you make a big thing of being from Brooklyn, "the real deal" and all that. Dont count on getting paid much more than 10,000Â¥ though.

Point gallery might be something llike what you are looking for. My wife did 2 private shows there last year. It's small and feels semi-industrial as its built into a railway bridge. The whole thing shakes as the trains run overhead, urban enough?

http://www.enough.jp/point/index.html

Take a look at www.k45design.com for photos of my wifes show at Point. Its the "Extended Play" and "Long Play" shows.

Nice

• 5 months later...
Quote:

Also trying to get some DJ work.

I spin underground Hip Hop , Soul , Funk ect...

I have 3 cd's for promotion.

I have a art gallery in williamsburg Brooklyn. I just showed Cope 2 and would like to curate a show in tokyo. any suggestions on some "Urban art" Gallerys ?

If you want to meet up in Tokyo to chill or have any leads drop me a e-mail

[email protected] ( Jesse)

--- Original message by BKNY on Jun 29, 2004 04:46 PM

For the shops you'll probably find Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama areas interesting.

I'm going back to Tokyo at the end of this month.

I may be able to help with a few contacts for the DJ-ing, but not til I'm back in Tokyo...

PM me if you you want.

As for the art galleries....well, you could check out the forums on http://classifieds.japantoday.com

They have an art and design section, so you may be able to get some contacts there.

Mickey.........Good looking out. It has been some time since I posted that. I have been in Tokyo for 4 months now......I have DJ at Saloon(UNIT) also club Flavor and cafe Sign. Any other connects for DJing when your back in Tokyo would be very much appreciated. As far as the gallers go...I found some....My first show is EWOK 5mh then it looks like Todd Jordan (pro skateboarder for nike ect...) and Jim phillips the old Santa Cruz illustrator........hit me on my e-mail [email protected]

here is the show info ...hopefully you will be in town....Jes

EWOK 5MH(www.ewokone.com) DEBUT SHOW IN TOKYO.

FEB 8th 2005 @ DEPOT gallery (www.depotcrew.com)

5pm-10pm **After party with

KAN TAKAGI,SK8THING ,LATIN RAS KAS ,SHU-G

and JVC FORCE(Victor records)

*** INFO FOR PARTY GIVEN AT EWOK OPENING!!!

Exclusive (numbered) Show T-shirt available AT THE

SHOW ONLY.... by ACQUIRED clothing

(www.freshnessmag.com) .

.....a fine street art production by Jesse J. Sharer

More info.... [email protected]

Life...I wonder...will it take me under?

• 2 weeks later...

BKNY,

Damn!!! that all looks pretty sweet!!! unfortunately though, i leave the week before!!!! sure you can't get them to bring it forward icon_smile_wink.gif.

Good luck mate, maybe i'll hear you/see your work in the not too distant future!!!

peace

If i have to explain, you wouldn't understand[url=" http://www.frontside-nm.com"] <a href="http://www.frontside-nm.com" target="_blank">http://www.frontside-nm.com</a>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yall,

Im a french rapper from Montreal Canada tryina reach out for the Tokyo Hiphop Scene.

Radio Stations (underground and commercial), Concert places, famous Hiphop clubs, good hiphop web sites, groups, artists, record labels, publishers, AND moslty DJ's (Mixtape Makers).

If anyone can help out,

Please reach for:

Asami

[email protected]

add me up to your MSN contacts : [email protected] [email protected]

From Canada 2 Japan with my french rap, it's possible ?

• 1 month later...

i went to the ewok jahn tonight. it was tight. the gallery was a bit hard to find, but i'm glad i got to view before it went down. no shirts available though...i hope you do more of these shows. where is your gallery in williamsburg? i lived in greenpoint a couple years back.

K.A.T.U.N.G.A.S

Judge........I am glad you liked the EWOK show. Sorry shirts were not availible (Big problem with the printer) My next show is Todd Jordan (pro skater for Nike SB , Supreme, Venture, creation) He is a great photographer . May 6th @ Depot...This time it should be easier for you to find.....Thanks again .... Jesse ( [email protected])

Sugarboots,

This is what I have found as far as curating shows goes......As sad as it sounds you will need an artist that has a established name (In Japan) in order to make it worth doing. When I say "worth doing" I mean not coming away from the show broke . Sponsors are a must !! Shipping (in my case from NY) is very very expensive. In addition to shipping there is insurance and taxes. Most galleries charge for space in Tokyo.Plus promotion, airfair and hotel . Alot of money goes into the show and selling art aint easy. If you do sell some most curators take 10 to 15 % . .......... I (after all this ) would still say go for it if its your passion. My first show was covered in Warp, Relax, Smart, Tokyo walker, and Asahi Newspaper. We sold a few pieces and had a kick ass after party. After all the hard work and just barely breaking even finacially I would say it was worth it............I would be glad to help you out anyway i could.......Let me know......good luck.........Jesse J sharer ...... PS come to the next show ....Todd Jordan @ Depot May 6th

Sugarboots

The main things you need for curating shows in Tokyo is well know artists (in Tokyo) . This will enable you to get good sponsors. Everything is expensive from shipping , flight, hotel, insurance for art, gallery space, ect ect....I would be g;ad to answer any specific qestions you have....Jes

• 4 weeks later...