buy your superad here !!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving to Tokyo from Brooklyn....Into underground Hip Hop.....What clubs/Shops ect....should I hit up....Thanks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:46 PM

Moving to Tokyo from Brooklyn....Into underground Hip Hop.....What clubs/Shops ect....should I hit up....Thanks

Also trying to get some DJ work.
I spin underground Hip Hop , Soul , Funk ect...
I have 3 cd's for promotion.

I have a art gallery in williamsburg Brooklyn. I just showed Cope 2 and would like to curate a show in tokyo. any suggestions on some "Urban art" Gallerys ?

If you want to meet up in Tokyo to chill or have any leads drop me a e-mail

chillmaticone@yahoo.com ( Jesse)

#2 Nice Touch

Nice Touch

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 02 july 04

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

I've just come back to London after a year in Tokyo.

I was DJing house music out there. Best advice is just pester everyone. I managed to play at least once a month just from blagging and putting my own nights on. If you didnt already know Hip Hop is massive now in Tokyo so you should be OK. Make sure you make a big thing of being from Brooklyn, "the real deal" and all that. Dont count on getting paid much more than 10,000¥ though.

Point gallery might be something llike what you are looking for. My wife did 2 private shows there last year. It's small and feels semi-industrial as its built into a railway bridge. The whole thing shakes as the trains run overhead, urban enough?

http://www.enough.jp/point/index.html

Take a look at www.k45design.com for photos of my wifes show at Point. Its the "Extended Play" and "Long Play" shows.

Nice

#3 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:15 AM

Good looking out man......Jesse

#4 alex80

alex80

bored

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • joined 31 december 04

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:36 PM

Go to Gen for some good j-food at a reasonable price ... on washington ave in prospect heights

#5 mickey holmes

mickey holmes

semibored

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • joined 25 november 04
  • talents:Photography, liquor, music, girls

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:29 PM

Quote:

Also trying to get some DJ work.
I spin underground Hip Hop , Soul , Funk ect...
I have 3 cd's for promotion.

I have a art gallery in williamsburg Brooklyn. I just showed Cope 2 and would like to curate a show in tokyo. any suggestions on some "Urban art" Gallerys ?

If you want to meet up in Tokyo to chill or have any leads drop me a e-mail

chillmaticone@yahoo.com ( Jesse)
--- Original message by BKNY on Jun 29, 2004 04:46 PM

For the shops you'll probably find Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama areas interesting.

I'm going back to Tokyo at the end of this month.
I may be able to help with a few contacts for the DJ-ing, but not til I'm back in Tokyo...
PM me if you you want.

As for the art galleries....well, you could check out the forums on http://classifieds.japantoday.com

They have an art and design section, so you may be able to get some contacts there.

#6 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

Mickey.........Good looking out. It has been some time since I posted that. I have been in Tokyo for 4 months now......I have DJ at Saloon(UNIT) also club Flavor and cafe Sign. Any other connects for DJing when your back in Tokyo would be very much appreciated. As far as the gallers go...I found some....My first show is EWOK 5mh then it looks like Todd Jordan (pro skateboarder for nike ect...) and Jim phillips the old Santa Cruz illustrator........hit me on my e-mail chillmaticone@yahoo.com

here is the show info ...hopefully you will be in town....Jes

EWOK 5MH(www.ewokone.com) DEBUT SHOW IN TOKYO.
FEB 8th 2005 @ DEPOT gallery (www.depotcrew.com)
5pm-10pm **After party with
KAN TAKAGI,SK8THING ,LATIN RAS KAS ,SHU-G
and JVC FORCE(Victor records)
*** INFO FOR PARTY GIVEN AT EWOK OPENING!!!

Exclusive (numbered) Show T-shirt available AT THE
SHOW ONLY.... by ACQUIRED clothing
(www.freshnessmag.com) .

.....a fine street art production by Jesse J. Sharer

More info.... chillmaticone@yahoo.com
Life...I wonder...will it take me under?

#7 gibster

gibster

bored

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • joined 10 january 05

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:04 PM

BKNY,

Damn!!! that all looks pretty sweet!!! unfortunately though, i leave the week before!!!! sure you can't get them to bring it forward images/icon_smile_wink.gif.

Good luck mate, maybe i'll hear you/see your work in the not too distant future!!!

peace
If i have to explain, you wouldn't understand <a href="http://www.frontside-nm.com" target="_blank">http://www.frontside-nm.com</a>

#8 asami

asami

bored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • joined 24 january 05

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

Hi yall,

Im a french rapper from Montreal Canada tryina reach out for the Tokyo Hiphop Scene.

Radio Stations (underground and commercial), Concert places, famous Hiphop clubs, good hiphop web sites, groups, artists, record labels, publishers, AND moslty DJ's (Mixtape Makers).

If anyone can help out,

Please reach for:

Asami

asami@interapmusiq.com

add me up to your MSN contacts : interap2004@hotmail.com interap2005@hotmail.com
From Canada 2 Japan with my french rap, it's possible ?

#9 judge

judge

bored

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • joined 29 january 05

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

i went to the ewok jahn tonight. it was tight. the gallery was a bit hard to find, but i'm glad i got to view before it went down. no shirts available though...i hope you do more of these shows. where is your gallery in williamsburg? i lived in greenpoint a couple years back.
K.A.T.U.N.G.A.S

#10 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

hey - was wondering how easy it was to get a show down here in tokyo (i finally arrived last night). i have at least one in mind, however, i've heard it's a little tough to get shows...they need sponsorship, etc. if you have any tips, etc. please let me know!
www.sugarboots.com

#11 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:28 PM

Judge........I am glad you liked the EWOK show. Sorry shirts were not availible (Big problem with the printer) My next show is Todd Jordan (pro skater for Nike SB , Supreme, Venture, creation) He is a great photographer . May 6th @ Depot...This time it should be easier for you to find.....Thanks again .... Jesse ( chillmaticone@yahoo.com)

#12 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

Sugarboots,
Do you mean curating art shows? or are you an artist?

Jesse

#13 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

Judge,
I closed the gallery in Brooklyn to come to Tokyo....We were on Havemeyer btw Grand and South 1st.......Jesse

#14 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

i'm a curator (i do art too though).

if you can chat via aim or ichat, i'm on "nudieboots1"
www.sugarboots.com

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • joined --

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:03 PM

Sugarboots,
This is what I have found as far as curating shows goes......As sad as it sounds you will need an artist that has a established name (In Japan) in order to make it worth doing. When I say "worth doing" I mean not coming away from the show broke . Sponsors are a must !! Shipping (in my case from NY) is very very expensive. In addition to shipping there is insurance and taxes. Most galleries charge for space in Tokyo.Plus promotion, airfair and hotel . Alot of money goes into the show and selling art aint easy. If you do sell some most curators take 10 to 15 % . .......... I (after all this ) would still say go for it if its your passion. My first show was covered in Warp, Relax, Smart, Tokyo walker, and Asahi Newspaper. We sold a few pieces and had a kick ass after party. After all the hard work and just barely breaking even finacially I would say it was worth it............I would be glad to help you out anyway i could.......Let me know......good luck.........Jesse J sharer ...... PS come to the next show ....Todd Jordan @ Depot May 6th

#16 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:01 AM

Sugarboots

The main things you need for curating shows in Tokyo is well know artists (in Tokyo) . This will enable you to get good sponsors. Everything is expensive from shipping , flight, hotel, insurance for art, gallery space, ect ect....I would be g;ad to answer any specific qestions you have....Jes

#17 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

ahhh ok - where are you situated? would you be interested in meeting up to chat?
www.sugarboots.com

#18 BKNY

BKNY

semibored

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • joined 29 june 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:11 PM

Sugarboots.......Mail me on my yahoo account ... chillmaticone@yahoo.com
Maybey I can at least introduce you to a friend of mine who runs a gallery.

#19 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

anyone going to see Jazztronic and others at Yellow this friday?
www.sugarboots.com