intro to london

jhud

maybe a native londoner can help me out. I'm spending my semester abroad in london during the fall. I'll be at UCL and in the king's cross/euston area (my flat is very near regent's park, apparently).

I've only been to the city once, for a short amount of time, doing mostly touristy things. any suggestions for good bars, shops, things to look out for in the area? or even not necessarily in that area... where are the more unique, younger, or more happening neighborhoods?

• 4 weeks later...

Native Londoner here...

you'll be in a good area - though it is right next to where the bus bomb went off!

Bloomsbury, where you are has plenty of nice pubs to chill and you are walking distance (long walk perhaps) to lots of central London.

London is big but easy to get a grip on - just think North, South, East and West - with you kind of North Middle.

Central - Covent Garden, Chinatown, Soho, Leicester Square - you wil know these places well in the end!

South means south of the River Thames (everywhere else is North) - each part of the compass has cool areas - London is a city of vilages.

North - visit islington, with Upper Street, essex Road - great pubs, shops restaurants

East - the cool industrial nightlife area - Clerkenwell, Smihtfields, Farringdon, Brick Lane (really good) Spitalfields, Old Street, Hoxton

West - Notting Hill, Westbourne Grove, Portobello Road

South - Greenwich, Clapham Common, Richmond (nice town on the outskirts of London overlooking the River Thames - Visit Richmond Park for a picnic on a nice day - it's an ancient deer park, 40 square miles, wild and really peaceful _ isabella plantation there is magic. Hampton Court Palace is also a nice tourist option.

Transport - you are central enough to walk to North and East. Get yourself an A to Z mini and keep it in your pocket.

Music - plenty of venues - Fabric in Smithfields, the Scala in Kings Cross are two I like.

Enjoy - London's a great city - but shitting expensive