DJs?

I dj'd from 99-2002 then stop and sold the equipment cuz i needed money. my old setup was 2 direct drive numarks (forgot exact model.TT1520's?) numark djm1001x i think and shure sc35c cartridges. Mostly spun hip hop and some breaks and did a few house parties here and there. More of a bedroom dj. I've always wanted to dj since the 5th grade. I always think about dj'n ever since i sold my set and now im gonna buy a new set sometime this month. a set of 1200s, pioneer djm600, shure m44-7's, and serato (can't resist) to run on my macbook pro. I really wanna get serious and do more house parties and hopefully land a gig at some type of lounge/club/venue whatever i can get. I love doin it. Even if i don't do much parties or clubs, i just wanna do it again.. And hopefully later on save for an mpc.

ah yes the classic 'sound quality' argument

the difference in quality between vinyl and a high bit rate mp3 is hardly discernible, especially in a club situation. but yea it's best to start off on vinyl then decide whether you want to try out other mediums or not

edit- i wasn't being sarcastic i know vinyl getz you bj's i was just trying to give him a more cost effective solution

dj-blowjob_01.jpg

yeah the sound quality thing is just an opinion I don't think theres any real proof for it but I do think vynil has warmer tones. I just feel that it's more enjoyable because there is a greater level of skill involved in playing records. Thats not to say that you can't be a great dj without them.

Vinyl does sound better than digital on a nice system in a controlled environment, but as was said above, in a club full of people having a good time, you wont be able to tell the difference between a good MP3 and a record. Love that pic, here's one for everyone who annoys DJ's with endless requests:

mennogp6uv2.jpg

honestly jeepster, i'd put some money aside and save for something like serato. when you think about it, you saved so much already not having to buy your own turntables and mixer. i started off like you, with this whole setup and no records. no money to afford vinyl. then i got serato as a gift, changed my life...started doing gigs, meeting other djs, etc, etc.

at the same time, it's a steep investment, and you need a laptop if you don't already have one. they're usually around $550 usd but can be found for around a hundred less on ebay. even if you decide it's not for you, it should have a good resale value.

otherwise the first two things you'll really have to learn is beatmatching and phrase matching (counting bars or whatever you wanna call it). keep in mind, beat matching can be made MUCH simpler if you determine the bpms of your vinyls beforehand and write them down on the labels.

here's a good series of videos on counting bars/phrase matching. i wouldn't really recommend his other videos though...

http://www.djtutor.com/dj_tutorials.php?subgroup=mixing&pagename=counting

edit: if you're gonna get into turntablism, def stick to regular vinyl though. having normal records forces you to learn to scratch/beat juggle w/o making the needles jump

djs use decks, vinyl and they mix. they don't queue up songs on a playlist off itunes. or use cds. it's fucking lazy ;/

no, fucking idiot- dj's play prerecorded music to people.

the best dj's know how to read a crowd and give them what they want, whilst keeping their own sonic aesthetic.

effort does not equal good music. or in this case, a good set.

i agree with keagan in this case... like beat matching, how u play it, what u play it on. none of that shit matters, just having fun, playing good music and making ppl happy.

personally i have a pretty big vinyl collection and wouldn't think of using anything else... but its all equally valid as far as i'm concerned.

^^ mmhmm, the best skill a dj can have is knowing how to play the right song at exactly the right moment... and that's not something you learn from fiddling around with decks. it's about being able to understand both your music, and the people to whom you're playing your music.

there are djs that are excellent at mixing, with perfect blends, perfect beat matching, excellent scratching skills, but their song selection sucks. then there are those with no technical skills: can't beat match for their life-but they know their music so well, and they're so in tune with the crowd, that they consistently pick out one good song after the other. who would you rather listen to?

i gotta admit though, vinyls are still pretty fun...

I dont really host anything or have a recidency right now, been to busy with something else (related and I'll tell you once it's finished) but I do play about once a week in a few different venues here. Now it's mostly been at a bar called Morfar Ginko

As for setup, I like to keep it simple:

setup.jpg

and for those interested in what kind of music I play, it's somewhere between Nudisco and housemusic I guess. This is a link to a mix I recorded a few months a ago. Nothing fancy, just pressed record on soundforge and let it go for about an hour. http://www.klubbheadsup.com/music/themidnighthour.mp3