DJs?

Who DJs here? - I'm guessing there are a bunch on Sufu. Are you a bedroom DJ, play out? Scratch, Mix? What do you play?

I just recently started about 4 months ago. A friend was having a party and I told him would DJ. I had all of the gear sitting around and a decent record collection so with some upgrades I started. I also bought Torq. I have been playing friends parties lately.

I do some solid beat matching mixing and as well as some sloppy cuts when I start to get drunk. I am more concerned with playing good songs than doing proper mixes. Stuff I like to play: Typical cool guy shit - some of the electro blog stuff - justice, guns and bombs, MSTRKFRT, NYPC etc and the smiths, joy division, new order, etc.

I play House and ecletic, in the summer i dj at half past 8, tang hui, and seven in ningbo. i just recently sold two sets of technics and the numark total control on supermarket. shit sold fast.

If you just want to do it as a hobby you can do it for a decent price.

Get two used Technics 1200s for around 300 each - you can always sell them for the same price and a cheap mixer at 100 - Torq can be had for about 250. If that is too much you can find deals with 2 TTs and a mixer used for around 250-300. just make sure they are direct drive.

i try to do the turntablist thing. just started late summer. im not trying to make dmc level. maybe just cuts for tracks. chirps are a bastard right now.

i borrowed my friend's numark turntables and his rane ttm56 which is sooooo good. but im saving up for my own 1200's.

i've tried my hand at mixing and im not the best at it.

You first think about, do you want digital(CD) or analog(vinyl)? Then you go from there. Or you can do both, that's what I'm doing.

both, for sure. I'm definitely interested in DJing and possibly also making my own music. vinyl is sooo expensive compared to mp3s which are free... but are there any limitations to the two formats for my intents and purposes?

also I'm almost positive my dad has a technics 1200 in a stereo setup, but he rarely uses it. how can I convince him that it is safe in my hands? i.e. what could possibly go wrong with it?

i used to play a lot in underground raves in montreal a few years ago. 3 deck mixing on vinyl. my musical tastes have changed... now i play minimal house with a touch of electro with Traktor 3. i started building my own MIDI controller for live use, but i doubt that project will ever be finished.

i would love to learn, i was offered a job djing friday at the restaurant/bar i work at, because i listen to good music aha, but so far the cost of getting into/total lack of knowledge is a problem

keagan please explain how that set up works

as much detail as you feel like

I would start by listening to the type of music you want to play a lot, and in depth. Listen to how it's structured, count the bars, etc... this will help you to figure out when to insert the next track while DJing, etc. Do some Googling, Youtube, etc, and just play around with the equipment you have. You'll get the hang of it over time.

good way to practice mixing to see if you like it before you invest in anything:

download a trial or bootleg copy of traktor and just get a hang of and just get an idea of what songs mix well into each other. play with the pitch to make some songs match and match the BPMs. If you are going this route, it pretty much does the hardest thing about DJing to learn - beatmatching for you by calculating the BPMs which allows you to easily line up the songs or even beat match for you with the SYNC function (a lot if almost all DJs would shun this- but when you are learning and not working with TTs it is a good way to play with songs and see what works well together.

Where do you work Meat Grinder?

i would love to learn, i was offered a job djing friday at the restaurant/bar i work at, because i listen to good music aha, but so far the cost of getting into/total lack of knowledge is a problem

He's using what I can only assume are two 1200s run into his mixer, the Xone 92. He's using Ms Pinky to use the turntables to control digital tracks using the pinky plugin to run it in Ableton.

Probably.

I'm trying to find somewhere in San Diego that could use someone under 17. There are some retarded underage clubs around here, but I imagine that they probably just have pre-set stuff that they play out and that's a waste of time.

Keagan's lounge residency sounds like something I might look into around here, but I don't really know that much about loung-ey music.

well i'd like to start opening up all the shows they have around here, teen centers, lounges, house parties, etc. i've done really rudimentary stuff thats just playing records and synching up tracks, nothing special (not really djing to the full effect), so i'd like to learn how to do it. i've always looked for some cheap turntables and a mixer package to just start out with, but alas, i'm always spending the money on something else/forget when they come around.

i started dj'ing back in 96 during the rave days. played at a ton of parties over the years. i play drum and bass/jungle. i primarily mix but can scratch also. have over 2000 records. getting more into the production side of things.

current dj setup:

2 x technics 1200's (over 10 years old)

Rane Empath Mixer

1 x Pioneer CDJ

Traktor Scratch

the gear?

ms pinky rewired into ableton

ableton controlled by the midi outs on my 92.

ms pinky vinyls on the decks- i've actually have TTX1's but the place i play at has 1200's.

m-audio connective running into my laptop.

Which is a usb audio interface.

Which is also a piece of shit.

i used to dj at my school for a couple years using traktor or virtual DJ

thinking about serato + tables/mixer, but its kinda corny considering i have no vinyls as of right now...

i never had hand me down equipment and its hard to justify the money unless im getting paid to do it

that being said i am seriously looking into it once i get my money right and i'd mostly play hip-hop or mash-ups

electro is so much easier to mix than rap due to the lack of vocals.. coolguy shit is the easiest.. bloc party into justice LOL

bedroom dj, most of the time i'm scratching. if not mixing hiphop or jazz/funk and what not.

i got some lame direct drive Numarks, at the moment ,looking to get some 1200's or vestax pdx and i have a Vestax PMC 07pro modded with a proXfade crossfader.

I DJ'd tons back 7-10 years ago at hip-hop spots in NYC, I had 2-4 weekly gigs for years. Haven't played out in a long time now, it get pretty draining after a while, and records are heavy as fuck to carry around. Still have my equipment (2 1200's, Rane TTM-52) and thousands of records, if Santa hears me I'd love Serato for X-mas.

i'd love to get a crash course in DJing and beatmatching.

since im not in a band right now and don't assume im going to be, i'd really like to learn just the basics so i can open some of the shows that play locally, crowd hype mostly.

can anyone point me in the right direction? i'd have to get equipment i know, but im very interested.

Jeepster, for djing I'd just lurk about djforums.com and youtube really. There are tons of tutorials on youtube. Also try looking around in your area for dj shops or music shops, sometimes they might run work shops on djing. You can always just ask around about people you know (family and friends) that are djs and they can help you out. But the best option if you dont know anybody is looking around in your local area for workshops.

Cant wait til christmas, gonna get myself the Pioneer DJM-700 and serato scratch. Should be good, maybe some second hand 1200s. Not sure.