Levi's RED

Charlie Delta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Crackerhead, get a load of this!

The truly groundbreaking blueprint for the original LEVI’S® ENGINEERED JEANS® was created in 1999, taking inspiration from a quirk in the original Levi’s® 501® jeans’ right-hand twill fabric construction which caused the legs of vintage Levi’s® jeans to twist to the left.

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of this landmark concept, Levi’s® has developed a celebration package for Spring/Summer 2009. This limited edition collection contains reissues of the first ‘twisted leg’ jeans: the first Standard, the first Giant and the first Loose Culottes for girls. The fabric is a recreation of the first fabric from 1999, an innovative mix of cotton and hemp in an intense green-cast indigo shade. It is woven on a narrow loom with solid green selvage and finished with gold plated buttons cast from the original moulds. These re-editions jeans will be presented in a special box and are certain to become collectors’ items.

oki-ni have dipped into their personal archive to give you a look at exactly how the originals looked and as a homage to Levi’s Red becoming ten years old oki-ni is privileged to be launching the first collection.

The first 100 pieces of each style will be available from early December only at oki-ni.com with the collection then being seeded into key accounts across the world from mid February next year.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2008/11/19/levis-red-10th-anniversary-denim/#more-17949

(with pixxx)

Indeed, though there are some raw denim items in there which have nice shades. One that's a deep indigo and another that's very green in shade. At least that's what I've seen around Macy's (the only store I've seen them in). They all tend to have different detailing from the usual Levi's lines as well.

Crackerhead, get a load of this!

The truly groundbreaking blueprint for the original LEVI’S® ENGINEERED JEANS® was created in 1999, taking inspiration from a quirk in the original Levi’s® 501® jeans’ right-hand twill fabric construction which caused the legs of vintage Levi’s® jeans to twist to the left.

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of this landmark concept, Levi’s® has developed a celebration package for Spring/Summer 2009. This limited edition collection contains reissues of the first ‘twisted leg’ jeans: the first Standard, the first Giant and the first Loose Culottes for girls. The fabric is a recreation of the first fabric from 1999, an innovative mix of cotton and hemp in an intense green-cast indigo shade. It is woven on a narrow loom with solid green selvage and finished with gold plated buttons cast from the original moulds. These re-editions jeans will be presented in a special box and are certain to become collectors’ items.

oki-ni have dipped into their personal archive to give you a look at exactly how the originals looked and as a homage to Levi’s Red becoming ten years old oki-ni is privileged to be launching the first collection.

The first 100 pieces of each style will be available from early December only at oki-ni.com with the collection then being seeded into key accounts across the world from mid February next year.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2008/11/19/levis-red-10th-anniversary-denim/#more-17949

(with pixxx)

You are going to like this little story then...

I wanted a pair of these 1st Giant when I saw then in Cinch back in 99 but they'd sold out.

Anyhow I was working for a large insurance company when I found a pair and loved them - got them full price, I later jacked the job in over a moral issue and found a job working in the industrial compressed air industry here in England, I had to go and visit another office in Wales for a couple of days so had to stay overnight in a hotel.

The hotel was near an outlet village so I went out one evening after work and lo and behold there was a Levi store.

You cab guess what came next ???

They had the 1st Giant there for what I consider to be a give away price - to be exact £5.00 that is approx $7 for you in the US !!

I did only what I thought to be right and bought their entire stock of 15 pairs and gave a load away and kept maybe 2 pairs for myself - I am kicking myself now as I could have made a mint all these years later and still sold them at bargain prices to you folk here.

They were my first raw denim and I still love them- I have 1 pair of unworn left which i intend never to wash as they do shrink considerably - a great jean and a fun little tale.

I look forward to seeing the 2009 homage.

Let's hope all this talk about the fabric for the new collection matches the originals, because the hemp/cotton denim from the 1st 1999 RED collection was something otherworldly. It had the most gorgeous shade of natural indigo, backed with a golden glow of hemp, and it was super slubby, with little nubbly spots where the hemp fibers erupted from the surface - one of my personal favourite denims in all my collecting.

Here's a pic of the original 40%hemp 60% Cotton denim vs. the 100% cotton version that came out later. The jeans shown here are both the 1st Standard model.

04_1ststandard_hikaku.jpg

haha, what a story! that's brilliant. :)

things like that never ever happen to me. well, we'll see how the re-issue goes...oki-ni will probably put a price i can't afford on these.

Dejan at Cultizm is getting the collection, and his prices are always cheaper than Oki-Ni!

I can't wait. I've got a pair of the 1999 1st Giant in the cotton/hemp denim, but I unfortunately bought them 2 sizes too big, and not knowing any better, soaked the denim to get it to shrink in the waist, which it did not do enough. In doing so, I compromised the excellent finish these have when they're still raw. Been looking for the same model in the right size for years now, so I'll finally have a chance!

No idea what these ones are, I picked them up in New England a few years ago:

Let's not get these confused with the original Levi's RED line. A few years ago in the US, Levi's started using the label "Red" on a product line that was just souped-up versions of their core fits. Nothing specially really - just the regular stuff with fancy finishes and stitching.

The original Levi's RED line is distinguishable as the cutting edge denim lab that brought forth the designs of the "Levi's Engineered jeans" range (twisted seams), and the Type 1 range, through their experimental designs. It is also one of Levi's few global lines, which for the most part, means that it's one singular collection available in limited quantities each season throughout the world.

it says on the oki-ni website that they're releasing the 1st Standard, 1st Comfort and 1st Giant along with the 1st Jacket...well, it doesn't explicitly say, but it sort of insinuates.

Crackerhead - good to know about Dejan's prices! but unfortunately general release is only scheduled for next year, so more waiting for us mortals.

Let's not get these confused with the original Levi's RED line. A few years ago in the US, Levi's started using the label "Red" on a product line that was just souped-up versions of their core fits. Nothing specially really - just the regular stuff with fancy finishes and stitching.

The original Levi's RED line is distinguishable as the cutting edge denim lab that brought forth the designs of the "Levi's Engineered jeans" range (twisted seams), and the Type 1 range, through their experimental designs. It is also one of Levi's few global lines, which for the most part, means that it's one singular collection available in limited quantities each season throughout the world.

Ah! Cheers for that!

Let's hope all this talk about the fabric for the new collection matches the originals, because the hemp/cotton denim from the 1st 1999 RED collection was something otherworldly. It had the most gorgeous shade of natural indigo, backed with a golden glow of hemp, and it was super slubby, with little nubbly spots where the hemp fibers erupted from the surface - one of my personal favourite denims in all my collecting.

Here's a pic of the original 40%hemp 60% Cotton denim vs. the 100% cotton version that came out later. The jeans shown here are both the 1st Standard model.

04_1ststandard_hikaku.jpg

Unfortunately Crackerhead, I feel we may be dis-appointed.

When the RED collection stopped for a while in 05, it was carried on in Japan with different cuts.

Last season they released the originals, and I have to say the denim just does not compare.

Now using japanese denim and a red line selvedge, the denim is nowhere near as as slubby or nubbly.

1st Giant was the 1st denim that hooked me in and finding an OG is still a holy grail. Hard to convey in photo's how good the denim wad. An the fades from a deep indigo to the greenish hue was something else.! Recently picked up the 100% cotton, but it just does not compare.

Really really hope they do this proper, with turkish denim and the hidden back pocket.

Some pics of japanese collection:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/gmmstore/levis-3017-0001/

Unfortunately Crackerhead, I feel we may be dis-appointed.

When the RED collection stopped for a while in 05, it was carried on in Japan with different cuts.

Last season they released the originals, and I have to say the denim just does not compare.

Yeah, the Japanese rereleases aren't a true or completely accurate reproduction of the originals. Not only was the denim completely different, but so were the sundries, and hardware (buttons, rivets, etc.) According to sources, though, the new collection is supposedly a re-release of the 1999 collection, so I've got my hopes up. At least they'll be using a cotton/hemp blend denim! I guess we'll find out the verdict in a few weeks...

• 1 month later...

I dont think this has been posted yet - Oki-ni has some exclusive pairs of levi's red 10yr anniversary jeans:

Raw Standard:

http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/lrd0025den

Raw Giant:

http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/lrd0023den

Standard:

http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/lrd0026den

Giant:

http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/lrd0024den

They used the same photos for the raw and non-raw ones but have this explanation: "These images show the 'Standard' style in the rigid Red-Caste denim but denim will be 10th Life Red-Caste as shown in the final thumbnail image with 10th Anniversary branding tag."

• 2 weeks later...
I already asked for some measurements on the size 36. But my feeling is that these are sanforized....

/QUOTE]

The original first season hemp denim released shrank quite a bit when washed, but wasn't quite a shrink-to-fit. They shrank about 5%, and mostly in the length. I remember getting the 1st shirt and watching it go from a dress to a long shirt when I washed it. My original 1st Giant jeans shrank about 1.5-2" in the length.

Anyone else get a good look at the new collection?

8a2e5706fc.jpg

1cfaf6400b.jpg

These reproductions look exactly like the originals from the pictures, and I think they did a really good job. I just think it's kind of weird that the labeling says "Levi's Engineered Jeans", even though they're repros of Levi's RED. Unfortunately, though, I won't be getting any pairs, because the waist sizes start at 30". Blast.

If anyone wants to find them online, I gathered a few websites.

www.cultizm.com

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/shop.php/levis-engineered-10th-anniversary/c_116.html

http://www.ninadecoito.jp/product-group/32/0/normal

www.oki-ni.com

I got my hands on this Levi's RED Jacket from the Spring/Summer 2003 collection. This was from the collection that went on to inspire the Type 1 Jeans range. Arms are cut on a curve like a motorcycle jacket, for an ergonomic fit.

DSCF6643.jpgDSCF6644.jpgDSCF6645.jpg

I posted this item in supermarket, if anyone is interested.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=143285

• 4 weeks later...

They have the reissues in London.

Although the denim looks like natural indigo, I don't think it is... but it's definitely meant to evoke that look.

In the flesh, the reissues look bang-on, the cotton-hemp mix looks absolutely beautiful. Yes, I agree they should do more with this fabric. Seeing it again, you realise how trendsetting it was, with that very primitive, grainy look.