rotterdam....the best.

doom

R'dam was great a couple of years ago, when Amsterdam failed to deliver. But my last few visits have been really disappointing.. and I'm not saying this because I'm from Amsterdam. It's just that tons of new clubs, bars and shops have opened during the last three years that put Amsterdam back on the map. SOme exciting things happening in R'dam (http://www.motelmozaique.nl), but I miss the energy of Amsterdam's wide variety of subcultures. And that's a shame, because R'dam has many too.

Anybody who disagrees, please feel free to comment.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

tisswat, this is doom. thanks for the post. i used to live in rotterdam for ten years during the 70's and the 80's. i am fluent in dutch. i am very sad to hear that rotterdam does not have anything to offer to you. i would still love the city for the architecture and the museums. i think that amsterdam has way too many tourists. this is not the case with rotterdam.

do you know if any stores stock stone island and c.p. company? let me know and let's talk more if you are dutch.

peace

the eclipse is nigh

I guess that if you haven't been there for over 20 years, it is well worth a visit. Actually my cousin lives in R'dam so I like to go there as often as I can. There was a weird new vibe going on during the late ninties/early 00s in R'dam. All of a sudden lots and lots of new bars and restaurants appeared, while Amsterdam was a bit dull and slowish.. This situation has turned around completely during the last two years.

However, you definitely should consider going back. R'dam has gained lots and lots of art galleries, interesting architecture and nightlife since you left. You might not even recognize it anymore..

There should be several shops stocking Stone Island. CP Company is a bit more exclusive, but I know some shops in A'dam that carry it. I suspect it should be available in R'dam too.

Yes, I am Dutch, but I'm afraid that this topic will get kicked to SuperJunk when we continue in Dutch icon_smile_wink.gif

Oh and about the tourists in A'dam.. they drive me crazy too sometimes, but the annoying tourists never leave the red light district or the coffee shops. And they can't find the spots where I hang out anyway. So live and let live I guess. Ignorance is bliss.

yo, tisswat! thanks

the only thing that was so bad that came out of rotterdam was GABBER. so embarassing! what do you think of this?

i would love to visit rotterdam again! i always remembered the cool shops they had.

there was also this amazing record store called HADDOCK. do you remember this store?

talk to me tisswat!

peace

the eclipse is nigh

I haven't been in 2 years, but I love Rotterdam and definitely like it better than Amsterdam. Amsterdam just feels like nothing but pot and hookers and drunk brits.

Rotterdam has weird architecture, amazing young artists, great museums, dope clubs (Now&Wow!!), and feels more "local" to me.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

@Doom: haha, funny that you mention that.. I-D has an article about an artist who is fascinated by subcultures. Gabber is one of them. I used to hate it, but now I'm starting to appreciate the uniqueness of it - in a weird way. Not that I would ever go to a gabber party, but still.. ;)

@RedFoxxworth: I'm sorry to hear that that's your impression of Amsterdam. It has so much more to offer - but you need to avoid the tourist areas as you should in any place anywhere else in the world. The average drug consumption of Amsterdam inhabitants is below that of the European average. Next time, ask me to show you around.

i'm from utrecht, doom u i think u should dig that to:) great city

i get round to amsterdam a lot to and it's wat tisswat says, avoid the tourist area's and amsterdam is amazing, so much to do, good stores etc. and a great vibe.

don't go to rotterdam to much so i don't know to much about it, only now&wow rulezz, i went there to the tmf awards afterparty that's how i know it, lots of fun

tisswat what part of a'dam do you live??

one million billionth of a millisecond on a sunday morning

well depends, in utrecht u have a store called image, they carry a dutch brand called gsus, i don't know how well known it is abroad, but it's not like an underground brand in holland, but i think they definetly have some very nice things, except for the denim which usually sucks.

and there's guru, which i'm also not sure on whether it's well known abroad, but it's one of my personal favorits. lot's of nice shirts, hoodies, so

and for denim check out derodewinkel in utrecht, they have a nice collection of levi's vintage, some lee en wrangler vintage, denime, atelier la durance,edwin, nudie (selvage ones to, and limited straight sven, baggy bjorn) i might get a job there when they need someone, so when u get around there give me a pm or something and i could give u some discount and stuff.

and there's a store which i forgot the name off, close to central station, i've never been there but i heard a while ago the carry 2k tshirts, i'll check it out soon. http://www.2ktshirts.com

i don't know to much about den haag, but my friend lives there, i could ask him for some info

see you around

one million billionth of a millisecond on a sunday morning

• 3 weeks later...

yo Jan.

you mean the revenge store right, there by the central station, same owner as the Lilith. It's quite nice there, a bit too mainstream though. I have a friend who works there, the short guy(from STORM:P), from him you can fix nice bling bling from nixon, they got a way broad choice. you can aslo get your hair done there, and they sell LP's and second hand. And about the image, they have two shops in utrecht, in the second one the do have C.P. company and stone island, paul smith and a lot more.

People say you are lucky if you find anything from me, i don't say shit.

yeah that's right bas i meant the revenge, i just know the store because a friend told me that they carried 2k, but haven't really checked it out yet, i should do that, i think i'll go 2morrow

and yeah images has 2 shops, one expensive one with indeed those brands u said + armani, d&g, boss and some more and the other one carries more original brands like gsus, guru, 55dsl, paul frank

'Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing it.''