england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm going to be studying Theatre in London April-June and was wondering if anyone knew of some must-see productions coming up.

I've been reading over this thread and think I've got a pretty decent list of places to eat and stores to visit while in London (I'll be commuting every day in for classes and an internship), Indain food, Son of a stag, Sounds that swing, etc; but I'm going to be living in a home stay somewhere out in Norwhich and was wondering if there were any cool pubs or shops around there I should know of lest I otherwise miss them.

Also if you have any skateparks or running routes to recommend it'd be greatly appreciated.

1hr 50min to 2hrs direct from Norwich, to Liverpool St, could be worse, but then not exactly the most ideal commute.

Having lived in Norwich most of my life it's pretty rubbish when it comes to night life unless you like cheesy clubs and/or looking for fights with chavs. Playhouse is alright for a bar/drinks, though it's gone a bit hippy, while it used to be more hipster. The Bird Cage is also alright, it used to be where all the cool kids hang out, but this isn't the case these days.

There's only three decent independent clothes stores in Norwich, Dogfish/Seven Wolves, Philip Browne and Bespoke Boutique, if you want streetwear there is mainsource (they resell Supreme if that's your thing). Oh and there's an Apple store...

Despite the dire shopping experience we do have an abundance of cafes, in particular I highly recommend The Bicycle Shop, Franks (also a bar in the evening) and Cafe No.33. There's a few good restaurants, Cinema City Restaurant, Elm Hill Brassiere, The Last Wine Bar, Unthank 101 (not central city but a walkable distance) and Baby Buddha (if you want dim sum). There's also an all you can eat restaurant Merge which has just opened up if you want to gorge yourself and opposite that place is The Golden Chip which do a pretty mean fish and chips.

If you want a personal tour just drop us a PM when you're in town, I'd be happy to show you the sights... don't worry it'll only take an hour or two ;)

Food recommendations for London, Polpo/Spuntino/Mishkins (all owned by the same guy), Meat Liquor, Burger and Lobster, Dinner by Heston are the ones off the top of my head. Experimental Cocktail Bar is also meant to be good, but I've yet to try it out. It's next door to Four Seasons in Chinatown, there's no markings or signs, just a tatty looking door. If you do like cocktails there's also Dean Street Townhouse in Soho, which is a nice place to chill outside during the "milder" evenings.

Edited by rirawin

Yea, the commute is not ideal, I looked into an apartment or student housing and couldn't find much to fit my budget and time frame of the stay.

Rirawin, thanks so much for the info! I'll def hit you up when I get in, I found out today that my homestay may actually be somewhere else "45-75mins away" so I really have no idea now :(

Hi folks. New member, first post, figured this was as good a place as any to jump in.

In reply to remington, regarding good pubs, it depends what you want. If you want standard lager that you can get anywhere and only care about the venue, I can't help. But if you enjoy good beer, which is more than likely if you're from the states, then in Norwich, I'd recommend the Fur & Feather, which is a brew pub and generally quirky and English and good fun. In addition, if you like Belgian beer, the Belgian Monk has a pretty impressive bottle selection and the mussels and frites are great.

In London, easily the best place for good beer is the Craft Beer Company in Clerkenwell. It's not cheap but it has an amazing selection of beer, great staff and is a really nice place. Gets busy at the weekend though but that's because it's possibly the best beer selection in the UK and the cask ale condition is possibly only beaten by one other place.

However, if it's gorgeous women you want, the White Horse on Parsons Green is a must, The food is superb too.

As for theatre, the Mrs is a theatre director. There is nothing on the horizon as yet but if anything comes up I'll shout. Keep an eye on whats on at the Barbican for a start though.

Enjoy your stay.

Back to the Barbers... I've been getting my chop here by a guy called 'Barry the Barber'. I couldn't reccomend him more. He used to cut at the Freeman Sporting Club Barbershop in NYC and now he's set up shop during the week out of an antique store on Commercial Street (E1). On the weekends he cuts out of the Tea Rooms off Brick Lane. Guy Charges 25 pound a pop and gives a great cut. Shoot him a text for an appointment on 07910-44-5273.

Don't know why I never thought to ask in this thread.

But I figure there must be someone around who can help me out.

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/3711-haterism/page__st__14550__p__2657684#entry2657684

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/116523-denim-repair/page__st__900__p__2673173#entry2673173

Basically, left a pair of jeans in London to get fixed like half a year ago. Never got back round to going back due to riots and then just getting caught up things detailed in the first post I linked and especially now, having to care for my mother and step-father, full-time, I don't have the time to go to London at all. I need someone to go to Covent Garden to pick up my jeans, if the guy still has them (doubtful, but there's still hope). I'll pay for the inconvenience, obviously.

If anyone can help, post here, or shoot me a PM. Much appreciated.

meat liquor, burger and lobster, and lucky chip.

I want to try this burger so bad.

http://londoneater.c...rger-in-london/

all of these are good, apart from that surf and turf thing, which just looks wrong. mishkin's does a good mini steamed burger. hawksmoor and the admiral codington are also highly rated but are at the fancy end of the burger scale.

one thing to bear in mind is that most of these places will involve queuing.

Boring questions I must ask:
  • Which bank has a good everyday account that doesn't rob you blind with their fees?

• Which areas around or near London that is generally quite good but not crazily expensive to rent?

Thanks!

Are you moving from Australia?

Everyday accounts don't really have fees here like in Oz, but they don't pay interest. HSBC and Santander are both good options for foreigners (easy to open an account etc).

Areas... Try South London. Or East London, but you'll have to go pretty far out to escape the gentrification and hipsters.

Hu guys, going to london next week. Do you have some clothes stores who sell the same stuff as "the hideout"? thanks

Try Goodhood in Shoreditch.

Edited by dansta

Thanks dansta I am sort of moving in May... not sure yet for how long... if things don't work out I might only stay for a few months... but I'm hoping it would be at least for a couple of years... I was looking at hsbc the other day because that's what I'm using here but it seems you still have to pay monthly fees etc... might have another look I probably missed something... south and east London noted!

Had browsed through the thread but haven't really got a good grasp of London.

I'll be making my first visit to the UK in the first week of April for a little business trip and some R&R but have no idea what to do with my time there.

Any recommendations on what I could do, see, eat, shop, the whole works?