england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

The job market here is tough. I arrived two months ago on a work transfer, but I've been looking for another job (I'm not enjoying my current role) and I haven't had much luck. I've actually had more interest from employers in the States.

I know a few people who've come to London from Australia without a solid plan for work, and they've really struggled. I'm talking about skilled people with degrees etc.

Having said that, anything is possible if you want it enough. Just try to have something in place, work/study wise, before you leave Cali.

I'm further SW & you could hear a pin drop.

Got some huge conspiracy about the riots flying around.

Do share, but i read on the guardian that there's evidence of it all being co-ordinated, but this a on really large scale if so.

the news at the moment is a slow roll call for London boroughs, feels like the activity is disproportionate to the alleged catalyst. My family live right next to Waltham Cross (Enfield), so northern-most Greater London, and it's been completely fucked.

That Allied Carpets/Carpet Right building that got burned down on the first night and -- for whatever reason -- the bed store (nights i think?) have been part of my earliest memories, I hadn't been back there for like a decade - so seeing them in pictures was all so bizarre. I'm alright here though in Neasden (shithole though, nothing worth ransacking).

What about you guys?

• 2 weeks later...
Staying in Paddington for a couple of weeks come September. Anything worth checking out in that area during my free time? I know Garbstore is somewhat close, but really I'm up for whatever.

Pearl Liang is great for dim sum, especially their xiao long bao. It's in Sheldon Square, just behind Paddington Station. In fact Sheldon Square is a pretty chill place, there's a man made stepped grass area and it's a stone's throw from the river.

Just had a look, the St John menu actually looks a little less interesting than their Bread & Wine restaurant menu (aside from the obvious bone marrow salad). But they also do their greens really well, and if they have any sort of chickpeas & yoghurt starter you want to get on that. Also their roast middlewhite (三成肉?!) is a classic, beautiful crackling and fatty layer. Eyes out once again for the accompaniment on the side - their lentils have nicely layered flavours. A dish with ox heart, if available, is also a good choice.

Just had a look, the St John menu actually looks a little less interesting than their Bread & Wine restaurant menu (aside from the obvious bone marrow salad). But they also do their greens really well, and if they have any sort of chickpeas & yoghurt starter you want to get on that. Also their roast middlewhite (三成肉?!) is a classic, beautiful crackling and fatty layer. Eyes out once again for the accompaniment on the side - their lentils have nicely layered flavours. A dish with ox heart, if available, is also a good choice.

The lentils and ox heart sound good. I just took a look a the bar & restaurant menu and you're right, it really doesn't look as good as what bread and wine have to offer. I think I'll be changing the reservation to bread & wine. Anything from that menu jumps out as a must order? I'm looking at the pigs tails for sure

They haven't released tonight's dinner menu yet so I can't get to it, but Bread & Wine does the whole communal, small plates concept ('small' ≠ small) and the dishes are less pricey so you can order more to share. Only thing is you won't get the bone marrow salad there...

You want to PM JohannesDeSilentio, he can probably give you a detailed run down of the rest of the St John must-haves.

Are you going to Dinner while you're here? Is a good place. Don't think you'll get any overlap with the Hinds Head since Dinner goes a bit further back with the whole history lesson.

Thats a real bummer, only bar&restaurant serves their bone marrow starter? I only have three meals in London. St John, fat duck, and hinds head(need to try them triple cooked chips) at the moment. This will be coming off meals at steirereck, l arpege and guy savoy, so I think hinds head would be the more economic option? Plus, it will be a dinner slot so I don't think any of us would be able to stomach fat duck for lunch, then dinner by HB right after