NYC Genderfication & New Hotspots

savage

With the ongoing genderfication of places like LES, and Willamsburg, to name a couple - Where are the new 'Hot Spots' or places about to Blow up?

There seem to be a lot of articles today about Harlem - which seems to be developing extremely quickly, as well as Southern Brooklyn (with its' new name SOBRO).

So what do superTalkers think will happen - where will all the artists, and others go next?

SOBRO is the nickname for the new artist neighborhood in the South Bronx. Artists are renovating the loft buildings in this neighborhood and rent prices are soaring.

I would say the next 'it' neighborhoods would be Red Hook for its location right on the water. A lot of real estate developers are building loft condos in this neighborhood. I would also say that Fort Greene is on the come up due to the plans of the new skyline including the new Nets stadium.

- -----

There isn't really anywhere else left for "artists" to go.

On that note, I think the eastern stretches of Grand St in Williamsburg [east of the BQE] will still be the center of where artists live for quite a bit still. As well as the southern extremities of Williamsburg below and around the Williamsburg Bridge. But overall I don't see the future of Williamsburg shining that brightly, especially with the new master plans from the city. In a few years I imagine it will look more like the Jersey City waterfront then the low rise industrial/ blue collar bohemian character it has now.

I doubt Red Hook will develop beyond typical yuppie condo development cause it lacks any real mass transit infrastructure. But honestly, I've never been there largely cause of the lack of said infrastructure. However, the more adventurous locales in Brooklyn are where I see most of the development coming, like Bushwick to the east of Williamsburg or even dare I say Bed Stuy or god forbid Brighton Beach, etc... I've always prefered the more diverse neighborhoods in the city, and I think others do too.

I think Alphabet City in Manhattan still has plenty of room for development.

As for the Bronx, I agree in terms of developing neighborhoods it is essentially untouched territory. It would be interesting to see if any real development goes on cause that commute to Manhattan from there would be killer.

I think the real estate market has to burst eventually, prices are insane, especially in Manhattan. Hopefully when it does places that are already under development as new "trend" districts like the LES, Hells Kitchen, or Eastern Williamsburg will be able to maintain thier current vibes without having to sell out to a local outlet of the Gap or Diesel or being littered with wine bars and boutique hotels.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

Personally i can't believe the prices of NYC reality.. how can people continue to pay so much for so little - Especially if you have to live so far away too!

But what about other cities? Do you think people will move out of NYC to different places. Any other cities that are going to be Hotspots? What about Atlanta - a few friends keep telling me its getting big, and there was the NY TImes article about parts of ATL being the next SOHO of the 80's. anybody believe that? It seems NYC is soooo saturated.

(my spellin gis bad sometimes (no one like newyork))

• 11 months later...
- -----

As for the Bronx, I agree in terms of developing neighborhoods it is essentially untouched territory. It would be interesting to see if any real development goes on cause that commute to Manhattan from there would be killer.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

Oh the silly and misinformed things people will say about a borough that

95% of them have never set foot in...

The commute from the Bronx to Manhattan is a killer?

It takes no more than thirty minutes to get into Midtown from the mid-Bronx,

fifteen from the South Bronx. And guess what- we've got the best subway lines

in the entire system, servicing both the East and West sides efficiently and

quickly. Compared to what Brooklyn and Queens call the subway, it's like comparing a ginsu knife to a sharpened twig. How in the holy fuck do people deal with an entire line not running at all during the weekend, a la L train?

As for development here, it is not at all "untouched'. People have lived here for years in brand new buildings at a cost significantly lower than the rest of the city That's nothing new. The fact that developers are now trying to attract more affluent whites is what is new. As far as I'm concerned, there's no place better to be living as the rest of NYC slips into the abyss. I'll probably hate it here once it gets whitewashed, too, although I hope there's some way to avoid the Bronx turning into the race, class, and real estate warzone that Brooklyn's turned into.

red hook, bed stuy, east harlem, south harlem, washington heights.

if you come to the bx, you'll get shook.

edit. unless you stay west, a la riverdale and kingsbridge.

i'm actually planning on assembling a task force that will basically rob, rape, and kill anyone that moves into the bx. in order to keep it from becoming gentrified, cuz i gotta protect my hood. you want in?

The real estate forecast:

The younger set seems to be feeling redhook, bushwick, bedstuy (G line part), Gowanus and ridgewood in BK. older folks looking to buy brownstones are in love with crown heights right now, as well as ditmas park, and the A/C line parts of the stuy, and East Flatbush. Brave souls (and I know a couple) are buying brownstones for dirt cheap in East Newyork, where gentrification is still years away and the architecture is beautiful. A few old kooky surfers copped beach front in Far Rock in the past 10 years. (and before someone hates, yes I know locals have been there surfing far longer).

The past few years have been all about queens. LIC is damn near unafordable for the average income Newyorker, Astoria is on the rise with 2 bedrooms nearing the 1500 mark. Sunnyside has kept on the low, and is nice as hell for the price if you like the laid bacl family vibe, and woodside and jackson heights are already underway.

when I was 17 I got a spot on 151 in the South Bronx paying 150 a month to split a living room with my boy. Still one of the nicest places I've lived in NYC. Three years later when I worked at Yankee Stadium, there were a shitload more white face around there on my way to work. There are some people who seem to have found great co-op deals all the way up the concourse..but we'll leave it at that before OMC and Azad come to my rest with the machette!!

Staten(like jersey city) has some artist types by the ferry, but that's about it. There are some wild places out there though. I didn't know staten island had it's own expressway until recently...

Shit I don't even know. In the next 10 years I think we will see the lower and middle classes pushed out to the suburbs of New york city and Long Island. It's already happening in towns like Hudson, Mt Kisco, bridgehampton, and more. If we take a page from paris's book on this, I think sooner or later we will be in the same boat...and that shit's not pretty...

Personally i can't believe the prices of NYC reality.. how can people continue to pay so much for so little - Especially if you have to live so far away too!

But what about other cities? Do you think people will move out of NYC to different places. Any other cities that are going to be Hotspots? What about Atlanta - a few friends keep telling me its getting big, and there was the NY TImes article about parts of ATL being the next SOHO of the 80's. anybody believe that? It seems NYC is soooo saturated.

(my spellin gis bad sometimes (no one like newyork))

There was a big article in New York Times a few months ago about how young people are moving to Philly, cause it's basically 1.5hr away, and is very cheap compared to NYC. I kinda like Philly, I get away for a day or a weekend once in a while. If it wasn't such a redneck Republican stronghold for the most part, I might consider moving there one day.

you fucking know it. im from wakefield, where do you stay?

181st n' Hughes; Arthur Ave. / Crotona area. Grew up on Sedgwick Avenue,

right by the Deegan.

[quote name=RAISED BY WOLVES

when I was 17 I got a spot on 151 in the South Bronx paying 150 a month to split a living room with my boy. Still one of the nicest places I've lived in NYC. Three years later when I worked at Yankee Stadium, there were a shitload more white face around there on my way to work. There are some people who seem to have found great co-op deals all the way up the concourse..but we'll leave it at that before OMC and Azad come to my rest with the machette!!

[/quote]

I'd never come at you with anything but respect, you're one of few dudes around on this board that have their head on straight.

There are some people who seem to have found great co-op deals all the way up the concourse..but we'll leave it at that before OMC and Azad come to my rest with the machette!!

I abhor the use of violence. making indirect threats to hipster culture tourists is merely a pastime, not that I assume that you fit that mold.

If we take a page from paris's book on this, I think sooner or later we will be in the same boat...and that shit's not pretty...

people have been saying that for years. with all the middle-lower middle class blacks moving down south, and the whites out to the suburbs and exburbs along with various immigrant populations, it seems that the exburbs (putnam and rockland county for instance) will become suburban ghettos ripe with half baked planned communities.

it all started with soho man.

Look, ya'll don't know it yet, but it's on in Trenton, Texas. We got cow-tipping, bonfire parties with drunk rednecks, and to top it all off, a Kwik Check where we all park our doulies and hang out.

Now it ain't in NYC, but it'll be hotter than NYC soon, ya'll watch.....

I need coffee, I make no sense when I've slept in the past few days.....

There was a big article in New York Times a few months ago about how young people are moving to Philly, cause it's basically 1.5hr away, and is very cheap compared to NYC. I kinda like Philly, I get away for a day or a weekend once in a while. If it wasn't such a redneck Republican stronghold for the most part, I might consider moving there one day.

Redneck republican stronghold? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Aside from the Italian neighborhoods, Philly's politics have been hard left for a long time now.