The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Warehouse 660 dubbleworks 5 years ? washes

These should probably be retired as much as it pains me to do so - the middle two buttons keep popping open due to all the stretching in the waist. If someone knows where I could find some kind of heavy duty safety pin I could probably squeeze another year out of them if reserved for special occasions.

Repairs throughout their lifetime:

-Replacing rear belt loop

-Patching crotch (2x)

-Patching a pocketbag

-Patching a thigh hole

-Repairing the rear hems on both sides (2x)

-Patching the back pocket

I spent about as much on repairs as I did on the initial cost of the jeans - well worth it. Repairs done by Denim Doctors in LA and Self Edge in SF. Service equal in both places but Self Edge was vastly cheaper.

Full album:http://imgur.com/a/4LlAF#UIjXRC7

Awesome denim evolution seen here.

Congrats to your raw denim love put in to them.

In case you really can't wear them anymore let me know.

They would fit perfectly in to the Jeansmuseum of heaviest fadings at any time

Decided today to take pictures of all of my active pairs.

First up is Mister Freedom Lot 64. Worn for 5 months, 3 soaks 0 washes 

Blue in Green N-02. Owned for a couple of years. 2 or 3 soaks, 2 or 3 washes 

LVC '47s. Owned for 3 years. Lost track of washes.

Flathead 310s. Owned for maybe 4 years? I didn't wear them for a year or so because I had gained weight, but they're back in the rotation.

Wow what a great denim evolution collection.

I love the second and the last pair at most!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Onis, 2 1/2 - ish months in, new awesome camera phone (LG G4). The jeans are lighter in real life, but the texture and contrast is pretty true. These jeans are going to fade crazy fast.

18636074216_bd6829f4c8_c.jpg

18041740483_257f50ab47_z.jpg

18474675650_df4ae273dc_z.jpg

18474694760_4c9256193c_z.jpg

18664703601_8bcb0a3619_z.jpg

Sadly, these don't seem like they're going to last super long without tearing. My cuff is already ripping slightly on the back of both legs.

18664771401_e1e8e404d4_b.jpg

18664707311_a77a4482f6_c.jpg

Still, despite the probable lack of durability, I love the texture and am excited as to what these will look like after even 6-9 months, as these seem to be much faster fading than my last two pairs (Samurai 710 and PBJ 013).

Edited by cander49

I've started to think that all of the jeans I buy are the "fastest fading jeans ever". Hahaha. But seriously, nothing really lasts very long for me anymore. I have the 20 oz secret denim. Here's where I took them early this morning before work. Since it's not ski season, it's high altitude disc golf season, which we also play at a ski resort (Solitude Ski Resort in Big Cottonwood Canyon). We left home shortly after sunrise, hiked from 8000' to 9000', and played 18 holes of disc golf up and down the mountain before going to work (we work together as well). We're making a summer habit of playing here twice a week very early in the morning before work, as well as on Saturdays and Sundays, so my jeans get 4 big hikes and disc golf rounds in tough terrain each week right now in addition to everything else I do in them.

18493587428_32077b2c78_z.jpg

18655378536_c11d27dc62_c.jpg

Edited by cander49

Disc golf sounds awesome, would love to see more pics!

It really is. I play a round nearly everyday (just not always at high altitude). Before the baskets went in on this course a few days ago, we got in a round by hauling a practice basket up and down the mountain. That was interesting. Here's my buddy doing a "death putt". The basket is on the edge of a huge ravine, and if he had missed badly, the disc would've been gone:

464382_10100789169923995_311240534507866

Same basket, friend and I preparing to putt on another hole:

11312805_10100789170627585_1150582639135

Finishing a round after dark with LEDs attached to the bottom of the discs so we can still find them:

11357209_10100789169874095_8548390546243

Fiancee driving on a ridiculous hole 18 (didn't have much "follow-through", so it only carried halfway down to the pin, which is near the dirt road at the bottom) that's 800 feet down a ski slope and still a par 3. The disc is the white spot out in front of her:

18063599223_770d5d015d_z.jpg

This course is rated among the top 20 nationwide, #2 in Utah, and I suspect it would be rated higher if only it weren't so hard on beginners.

Edited by cander49

Onis, 2 1/2 - ish months in, new awesome camera phone (LG G4). The jeans are lighter in real life, but the texture and contrast is pretty true. These jeans are going to fade crazy fast.

Sadly, these don't seem like they're going to last super long without tearing. My cuff is already ripping slightly on the back of both legs.

Still, despite the probable lack of durability, I love the texture and am excited as to what these will look like after even 6-9 months, as these seem to be much faster fading than my last two pairs (Samurai 710 and PBJ 013).

I always admire your high speed fading process on all of your jeans.

As a slow fader my jeans have to stay at my legs over 800 wear days like my current 25 oz IH jeans reaching 670 wear days now ha ha

Inspiration for all my cone hate:

Bought these for my brother, xmas of '09

1k wears, 3-4 miles of walking each day. Some early washes probably muted a bit of the potential but hey.. they're durable and what not.. no large rips or holes.

Front617e2.jpg

My bad, meant to give u a +rep

X-post from samura thread

My 710xx after a quick wash. Just over a year old, prob washed 4/5 times. haven't been wearing these as much as I've changed jobs where wearing jeans is frowned upon and I'm breaking in a pair of s0500xx. Cotton threads have gone on these all over the place, back pockets, front pockets, crotch etc. don't really mind as the fit & fabric is so good. Will always have a pair of 710xx in rotation :)

Apologies for shitty iPhone pics image_zpscfuyfdqe.jpgimage_zpsutgzskbc.jpg

my APC petit standards after 5yrs of wear and infinite washes...

Whoa what an incredible denim evolution seen here.

It would be an honor to display them at the Jeansmuseum of heaviest fadings some day or for just some time.

Be sure to never ever throwing them away. They deserve an eternal life for sure.

Been off the denim bandwagon for a few years - but here's some Earnest Sewn Fulton Selvedge that have been kicking around my closet. Approx 3 years of wear, over 10 washes. 

gallery_113017_712_5418.jpg
gallery_113017_712_22532.jpg
Have a S710xx and SG1109 that I hope to post progress on soon-ish. 
Edited by tion4->

• 2 weeks later...

First wash on my FHxNFxTY Flathead 3xxx 14.5 denim

3 months of solid wear on them. I'm not the hardest on my jeans so theyre not super drastic.

97wVkws.jpg

MnDyowS.jpg

IpJUBNd.jpg

ommUt9P.jpg

azuAhSB.jpg

SIhQmaR.jpg

X-Post PBJ thread

PBJ contest jeans at ~9ish months. Two hot soaks and one machine wash. I haven't been wearing super consistently lately- I made the mistake of buying some Momotaro 0305-18s so I'm struggling to keep these as my everyday jeans. They're also deteriorating pretty rapidly, so I may call them done before the full year is up. Images were taken in very bright sunlight, color is pretty accurate. I'm going to repair all of the crotch damage today. 

J3qKeou.jpg?1

9vjIUZF.jpg?1

I've blown a pretty sizable hole in the knee in the last couple weeks

QuPwLBw.jpg

Edited by MDSsmith