Designer/brand name pronounciation

the breaks

Can you guys help me with some of these?

7 for all Mankind

Rock and Republic

Chip and Pepper

Ben Sherman

Penguin

Vans

Marc Jacobs

Marc by Marc Jacobs

Vans by Marc Jacobs

k thx

way too difficult. youre better off carrying flash cards with the names on the front and the logos on the back.

Regarding Hare: If it is actually a Japanese word (as in clear skies perhaps) or a person's name or part of their name, I agree "re" would be pronounced not like the "e" in "pet" but closer to "ray". But not har-ray - the first syllable just ends in the "ah" sound and the "r" is attached to the "ay" sound. ha-re, no particular emphasis on either syllable (that's the hardest thing for european language speakers to do since they are used to their always being an emphasis on one syllable or another).

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice list but how do we know it's accurate? I scanned down looking for a Japanese one to check them and I found a mistake right away.

Issey Miyake: Ee-say Mih-yak-kee

It's certainly not "kee" it's "kay" (same thing goes for those of you who drink sake and sing karaoke: it's "kay" at the end not "kee").

ees-say mee-yaw-kay would be how i'd try to write it out.

• 11 months later...
I'm french so I can help you for some,

comme des garçons= com des (dé) garson

nom de guerre= non de gué-re

Lanvin= Lan Van

Margelia= Mar gé lia

goyard = goille ard

goy-ar

Mar-jay-lia

kom dey gar son

Wow I never even imagined people could have so much trouble pronouncing (short) French words ... but that's probably because in Canada we are forced to take French from early elementary school up to grade ten.

"Lanvin" seems so obvious to me, but I can see why it would be mystifying to someone who's never been taught French. The simplest way to explain it would be that it sounds like Law[n]-va[n], with [n] being the sound at the end of "awwwwww" (what you say when you feel bad for someone), it has a hint of an N sound but is nothing like the hard N in the word "On." And the emphasis goes on the second syllable.

p.s. Lewis Vwitten, obv.

• 1 year later...