3 replies to this topic

#1 desh_one

desh_one

bored

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • joined 26 may 04

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

I will be heading for London next month in order to checkout the Goldsmiths College. Since I will only be staying for the weekend i need a really compact cultural entertainment strategy. Maybe somebody can give me their toplist (Shops, Bars, Food, Galleries..)

my appreciation

dee

#2 eric2019

eric2019

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 28 december 03

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:55 PM

Dee,

If you're into drum & bass, you should check out Fabric - in fact for drum & bass fanatics, this is the place to go - their line-ups always amazing. Bear in mind I'm from the States and the lineup at Fabric would be a line-up at a all-day festival here so I'm biased.

Their site is www.fabriclondon.com. Nearest station is Farrington. And when you stumble out into the streets at 6 am, there's a spot right across the tube entrance to get some bakery goodies for jumping on.

I'm also a big fan of Wagamama . It's a nicely design "casual" Asian spot with locations all over the UK, Australia, one in Amsterdam but none in States yet - curses ! The chicken's good there and dinner's pretty cheap - you can get out for about 10. Their site is www.wagamama.co.uk for locations.

Anyone else ?

E
What's buggin' my ears now :
Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is Worthless
Klute - Fear of People
Sidestepper - 3 am : In Beats We Trust
KLF - White Room

#3 sallyann

sallyann

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 14 may 04

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:56 PM

Since you've only got a weekend, here's some must hits.

Gallery - Tate Modern - free and awesome modern art gallery on the South Bank.

Food - Busaba on Wardour st. - from the same people as Wagamama, but cozier, just as cheap, with great atmosphere and it's in the heart of Soho, so a good neighbourhood to visit. Don't be put off by the line-up - the line moves really really quickly, and the service is super fast.

Food - Brick Lane for Curry - near Liverpool St. Tube station. Go here for a street full of amazing curry restaurants. Cheap and delicious. Hesitate outside one or two restaurants, and the man usually offers you a discount to help you make up your mind.

Shopping - Sunday morning - Spitalfields Market (near Liverpool St. Tube) where local fashion designers sell their homemade creations. A real Londoner hangout on Sunday morning.

Saturday - Portobello Market, or Camden market. Both rammed with people, but both are worth a wander.

#4 desh_one

desh_one

bored

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • joined 26 may 04

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:05 PM

thanks. that sounds great. got myself a room near liverpool station already. so thats perfect.
i heard you can just walk around there for barhopping at night, too.