japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

FINALLY going to japan for the first time. Travelling with architecture students for our studio trip and right now our itinerary is Tokyo and Kyoto. Hokkaido is in the mix, but given we have a week I think Hokkaido seems highly impossible. However, I will be spending at least 2 weeks there.  

1. What is the cheapest way to get around Japan? Is there anything similar to NYC 7 or 30 day metro pass? My roommate said the Japan Rail Pass, http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html, is the best option considering we are going to Kyoto too? I am looking for something that is an all included pass preferably!

2. Going through a couple pages, my understanding is that buying wtaps/neighborhood/visvim/etc. is better to buy it from non-japanese stores (ssense,etc.), correct? If anyone has like a store in mind for cool clothes in general let me know! I dont mind thrift stores since I am peasant. Or maybe buying clothes isn't the thing to do in Japan?

3. Lastly, and more importantly, How do I bring back J-girls to my hotel, herpsky?

also, the oh-so-ever important question is do you want to meet japanese girls?

there's a few things that could complicate things

1) do you speak english

2) how old are you? e.g. shibuya is late teens and early 20s

3) are you a non-japanese asian 

we know of a lot of pick up spots but it really depends on your demographic 

1. Yes. 

2. 28

3. yes. 

FINALLY going to japan for the first time. Travelling with architecture students for our studio trip and right now our itinerary is Tokyo and Kyoto. Hokkaido is in the mix, but given we have a week I think Hokkaido seems highly impossible. However, I will be spending at least 2 weeks there.  

1. What is the cheapest way to get around Japan? Is there anything similar to NYC 7 or 30 day metro pass? My roommate said the Japan Rail Pass, http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html, is the best option considering we are going to Kyoto too? I am looking for something that is an all included pass preferably!

2. Going through a couple pages, my understanding is that buying wtaps/neighborhood/visvim/etc. is better to buy it from non-japanese stores (ssense,etc.), correct? If anyone has like a store in mind for cool clothes in general let me know! I dont mind thrift stores since I am peasant. Or maybe buying clothes isn't the thing to do in Japan?

3. Lastly, and more importantly, How do I bring back J-girls to my hotel, herpsky?

1. Yes. 

2. 28

3. yes. 

you probs out of luck. 

you probs out of luck. 

ok, i guess ill stick with food then

actually if you are a korean and can or look lyke a kpop ghey then you have a marginal chance.  there is a certain species of jbz that love those  sorta cretins.  if all else fails you could opt for delivery-health.  just have a jap dude make the reservations for you on the phone.  hopefully you aren't hideous, have no creepy vibes, and can speak some basic jap. 

oh nevermind.  u a peasant so u prolly couldn't afford sexcort let alone delivery health.  soweee!

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Will be visiting Japan a second time this coming April, spending less time in Tokyo this time around. Will be going up to Hokkaido, any recs for things to check out in Sapporo and surrounding areas? I think the guys travelling with me wants to do some sort of skiing/hit the snows in April if theres any left. Otherwise we're content with good food and exploring nature/culture things.

what's the consensus on klooz?

the beat is very...american. it almost sounds like cashmere cat, jersey-ish

not that into it compared with other jp rappers i know, but i don't really know any truly contemporary ones so maybe my opinion is worthless. RE the beat, no surprise there, there's a lot of intermingling of internet music scenes between jp and usa right now

Couple questions to all to assist with my stay in Tokyo in couple months, all helpful advice greatly appreciated.

Firstly, advice on what to wear/pack for May's climate? Bear in mind I'm full body inked (except hands and neck) Are shorts acceptable, is it to hot for jeans, trousers?

Secondly, where to exchange money? Won't do much exchange in the UK before I travel as it's usually benfical to the exchange rate to change there?

Thirdly advice on where to book accommodation around shinjuku, Shibuya? Agoda, booking.com etc are working out quite expensive. Travelling with my wife and daughter so don't want hostels or little box rooms.

1. no one will care about tattoos apart from a few traditional or 'exclusive' onsen which don't like foreigners anyway.

2. prob easier to get a citibank visa card which charges no conversion fees etc and just withdraw money from ATMs over there.

3. you're gonna get 'little box rooms' everywhere unless you drop cash. travelling around tokyo with a child sounds like hell on earth to me.

i'd just withdraw cash from the ATMs. least affected by fees and variable exchange rates. I've never tried the convenience store ATMs but I know for a fact that the post office ATMs work with foreign bank ATM cards. 

unless you are walking around naked,  noone will care.

child – i guess it all depends. i was a baby there. though my mom used to drive me around, when i was really small. 

Typical accommodation in Tokyo is just kind of expensive unfortunately, I'm staying in an AirBnB in a couple weeks time and taking the whole place. That is the strategy I recommend. If you select the "whole home" option you will be probably able to find something under hotel prices with more than one bedroom.

Note that legislation just changed and you'll need to stay at 7 days or more in an AirBnB for it to be legal.

Nowadays smaller tattoos are mostly fine but if you're nearly full-body you might have a tougher time with the onsens. I'd probably wear light pants in most places if you can, it won't be too hot in May

just get a card that reimburses you for ATM fees. should cover foreign fee too (did for me when i did it at rural 7 eleven).

Could anyone recommend me some nice one day/two day trips from Tokyo?

I'm going there in mid May. It could be anything, but I know of the obvious places like Yokohama, Kamakura & Nikko.

for one that's off the beaten tourist path, there's a very tiny but awesome town called Okutama that is the very last stop on the Ome line out from Tokyo (via Chuo line). There are some inexpensive ryokans that you can stay at and there's a lot of beautiful day hikes including one up to Lake Okutama which is a water source for Tokyo. It is just the right size for a 1 or 2-night trip

Okutama also is known for its wasabi horticulture lol you can get some fresh-ass wasabi there

I'll be travelling in mid-March and am trying to book some restaurants.  I'll be staying in a low-end place so the usual hotel concierge route is out.  Any ideas?

If you have a Visa Signature Card, they have a concierge service that is a great help.

Just went to Tokyo-Fukouka-Kyoto-Kanazawa with a baby for a month that shit was rough.  Sakura Prince Tower in Shinagawa is the best bang for the buck hotel, super swank, under 200 a night for a 650 sq ft room, but Shinagawa blows.  

The pool to close down. Next stop: The Parking Ginza. 

A new concept store by Hiroshi Fujiwara to take up retail space next to a parking garage in the heart of Ginza.

Limited edition items to be released at the opening.

http://www.fashionsnap.com/news/2016-03-09/the-park-ing-ginza/

Edited by herpsky