japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

goin to tokyo on the 5th. i have no idea what im doing.

If it's your first time and you don't know anything, stick with the famous touristy places. Hit Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku. If you want a bit of culture Ueno has a big park and several museums. Asakusa also has a big temple if you're into that kind of thing. Akihiabara might be interesting if you are into video games/electronics or want to see strange people.

going back to tokyo with an empty suitcase, coming back with swagger and wtaps and og bape. where to cop, store specifics.

if you are willing to travel an hour outside of tokyo i would go here

http://www.px-megastore.com/user_data/store.php

i never went cuz its so far. they had a store in kichijoji a few years ago but now they moved everything to that location. i went to the kichijoji store, it was really small but  they had tons of stuff. if you are looking for specific items its best to buy on yjp through a proxy.

i always get my hair cut at Freeman's Sporting Club in Aoyama. It's like 4,000 yen plus tax. They do a sick job and also do scissor based fades. They use baxter and aesop. It's a huge plus. Other American inspired barbershops are like 6500+. 

Freeman's is open everyday but try to go before 3pm. They stop taking appointments at 5ish

I would say those stores are 99% or more authentic. I'm sure fakes slip in from time-to-time, but they generally know their stuff and only sell the real thing. Many (but not all) of those shops also have return policies, although it could definitely be a hassle when ordering from overseas. I've personally dealt with most of those shops and have only had good experiences.

Even with Japanese 2nd hand shops fakes do slip through. I've spotted fake items on the racks at Kind in Osaka a number of times, staff is pretty knowledgeable but they're not experts per se. Not like those items were cheaper than normal either, just regular prices. So if it looks off I'd suggest double checking rather than assuming it'll be fine. 

checked out need supply today. nice space!

i saw the features. Looks really nice. They are opening up a location in Kumamoto. Some of the more interesting shops are in Inaka / outside of Tokyo, which I find pretty interesting. 

i think the biggest discovery of this trip was definitely Oku-Shibuya. I knew Gohongi was up and coming but this area is even a lot more interesting. I suppose the area is right behind the Shibuya Tokyu stretching out to Yoyogi. I hit up a bunch of Izakayas, bars, and restaurants there. The overall quality of the spots are very good as well as the cost:performance ratio. Unlike some of the spots in Nakame and Daikanyama, even on weekends there are very few people. It's mostly art-fashion-media guys who live in the area. 

The store I was most impressed by was SPBS. I bought a bunch of stuff there. As far as the selection goes, their "select" is much more cohesive than spots like T-site. I felt like I wanted to buy every single book at SPBS. I bought some tees there as well. 

The physicial address is Oku Shibuya is Kamiyamacho, I think.

Check it out

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2140651257906417401

As far as food goes, Pignon, a french/spanish bistro was really good. Huge portions. Relatively inexpensive. Everyone there including the customers is chill af.

Edited by herpsky

im about to leave tokyo and go back to nyc after 10 days here. i dont know if i can go back to the bearded wisconsin jr that is brooklyn currently, im trying to figure out a way to stay .

im about to leave tokyo and go back to nyc after 10 days here. i dont know if i can go back to the bearded wisconsin jr that is brooklyn currently, im trying to figure out a way to stay .

calling the immigration bureau