japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Does anyone have experience using airbnb in Tokyo? My girlfriend and I are looking to to stay there from September-November (we can do our jobs remotely), but it's hard taking the plunge on a place without seeing it beforehand.

Any neighborhood recommendations would also be very much appreciated. Neither of us have ever been to Japan before, so it's hard to choose. 

what? Slack is in PSG... I mean it didn't list norikiyo and sdp. I don't like zone the darkness. People seem to enjoy kohh for whatever reason. I don't like him either. It's fairly comprehensive for something that's supposedly written by an American. 

Never listened to Anarchy. I'm kinda into chill shit like Slack and Dengaryu.

I really like KOHH

vice japan did a mini documentary on him

Does anyone have experience using airbnb in Tokyo? My girlfriend and I are looking to to stay there from September-November (we can do our jobs remotely), but it's hard taking the plunge on a place without seeing it beforehand.

Any neighborhood recommendations would also be very much appreciated. Neither of us have ever been to Japan before, so it's hard to choose. 

Ebisu, Meguro, Nakameguro, Daikanyama. Really depends on what you are looking for. Do you wanna be within walking distance to clubs? Do you want good food within walking distance? Do you have to be able to walk to denim daddy places? Do you want to go super urban (as in scramble intersection / shibuya crazy) or a bit residential (residential by tokyo's standard is still SUPER urban). 

What are you planning on doing there - is the question.

Like, Berlin is case in point. If you wanna go shopping and be reasonably close to nightlife, mitte is the way to go but if you just want to party your night away and do a bit of shopping then xburg area would be better, you know.

Edited by herpsky

i've used airbnb in tokyo many times. usually staying in central shibuya & surrounding areas (dogenzaka, shibuya-minami, jinnan, daikanyama, ebisu. also stayed in meguro for a few days).

herp nailed the first point: figure out what you want to do while there. needa know what you intend to do in your free time before anyone can really make neighborhood recs.

as far as staying in a place w/o seeing it IRL tho: that's how airbnb works. if you're smart about it you shouldn't really run into any largely negative surprises. search reviews to see if other people have had extended stays and what they say.

the only (potentially unexpected) things i'd say to be diligent about would be:

• perception of space from photos. apartments can be really fuckin small. get an approximate area measurement so that you're not dealing with 1/3 of the space you're used to for 2-3 months. 
  • storage space. if you're gonna bring a lot of clothes/items or buy a bunch of shit while there, make sure drawers/cabinets are there to store everything in.
Edited by insomnia

i've used airbnb in tokyo many times. usually staying in central shibuya & surrounding areas (dogenzaka, shibuya-minami, jinnan, daikanyama, ebisu. also stayed in meguro for a few days).

herp nailed the first point: figure out what you want to do while there. needa know what you intend to do in your free time before anyone can really make neighborhood recs.

as far as staying in a place w/o seeing it IRL tho: that's how airbnb works. if you're smart about it you shouldn't really run into any largely negative surprises. search reviews to see if other people have had extended stays and what they say.

• perception of space from photos. apartments can be really fuckin small. get an approximate area measurement so that you're not dealing with 1/3 of the space you're used to for 2-3 months. 
  • storage space. if you're gonna bring a lot of clothes/items or buy a bunch of shit while there, make sure drawers/cabinets are there to store everything in.

i PERSONALLY think staying in shinjuku's not a good idea bc it's too hectic and not that close to ropps and other areas that i tend to frequent. it always beats me that everyone wants to stay in shinjuku when they travel. even if your accomodation is close to the train station, you lose a shit ton of time trying to swim through bazillion people, let alone navigating through the underground shopping areas merging into the enormous maze aka shinjuku JR station.

unless you have like 6 hours in the city and want some Ds in 2chome, cop mainlander jawnz in isetan, then go to the robot restaurant 

http://sprudge.com/true-stories-from-the-japan-brewers-cup-74187.html

Apparently the winner of this year's brewers cup is from Amameria Esp. It's my #1 spot in the hood.

Cheap. Good coffee. Gibraltar offered (which presumably is the same as a cortado)

Ebisu, Meguro, Nakameguro, Daikanyama. Really depends on what you are looking for. Do you wanna be within walking distance to clubs? Do you want good food within walking distance? Do you have to be able to walk to denim daddy places? Do you want to go super urban (as in scramble intersection / shibuya crazy) or a bit residential (residential by tokyo's standard is still SUPER urban). 

What are you planning on doing there - is the question.

Like, Berlin is case in point. If you wanna go shopping and be reasonably close to nightlife, mitte is the way to go but if you just want to party your night away and do a bit of shopping then xburg area would be better, you know.

Good food trumps clubs/denim daddy place proximity. This is mainly because we'll be there for awhile, so having to travel for those things isn't a problem. We'll likely only have time/energy for touristy vacation mode stuff on our days off. 

To be more specific about our situation, my girlfriend and I teach online. This means we need two separate rooms in a neighborhood where people aren't likely to complain about noise in the morning (I mention this because I've read some neighbors are very touchy about hearing conversation through the walls). And since we'll be working 7AM-12PMish, our day-to-day routine will likely consist of walking around and eating. It's hard for us to be much pickier than that; we're both very excited to be staying *anywhere* in Tokyo. 

The help is sincerely appreciated!

edit: put more simply, we're definitely partial to "a bit residential" 

Edited by jstavrin

i PERSONALLY think staying in shinjuku's not a good idea bc it's too hectic and not that close to ropps and other areas that i tend to frequent. it always beats me that everyone wants to stay in shinjuku when they travel. even if your accomodation is close to the train station, you lose a shit ton of time trying to swim through bazillion people, let alone navigating through the underground shopping areas merging into the enormous maze aka shinjuku JR station.

completely agree. i only really go to shinjuku to eat food then i leave. dun even cop jawns there bc not kimoi enough.

Good food trumps clubs/denim daddy place proximity. This is mainly because we'll be there for awhile, so having to travel for those things isn't a problem. We'll likely only have time/energy for touristy vacation mode stuff on our days off. 

To be more specific about our situation, my girlfriend and I teach online. This means we need two separate rooms in a neighborhood where people aren't likely to complain about noise in the morning (I mention this because I've read some neighbors are very touchy about hearing conversation through the walls). And since we'll be working 7AM-12PMish, our day-to-day routine will likely consist of walking around and eating. It's hard for us to be much pickier than that; we're both very excited to be staying *anywhere* in Tokyo. 

The help is sincerely appreciated!

edit: put more simply, we're definitely partial to "a bit residential" 

this sounds like you would fit in one of those small, quaint neighborhoods along one of the metro lines. this is herp's domain so imma defer to him and others.

just post a bunch spots that you are considering. we can probably tell you if it's woat or not.

yutenji is nice. between daikanyama and nakame. lacks the oshanti and possibly the convenience of nakame/daikanyama but a lot of young people live there, and the town is close to low-key, broshanti hotspots that never sleep e.g. gohongi, Mishuku, Ikejiri, and Sancha.

i just bro in ropps with expats and bankers so it's unfortunate that i rarely get to explore those elusive gems in meguro and setagaya (0)

Edited by herpsky

Has anyone eaten at 神田ã¾ã¤ã‚„? There's a line every time I walk by.

I used to live right by there! ç¥žç”°ã¾ã¤ã‚„ (Matsuya) is one of the best soba places in Tokyo. 

If you're in that area and in the mood for ramen, ã¤ã˜ç”°ãƒ©ãƒ¼ãƒ¡ãƒ³ (Tsujita Ramen) is probably my favorite ramen in the world and it's very close by. Wow I'm super jealous of you right now. 

Lots of new luxe shopping complexes to open (for mainlanders)

http://www.fashionsnap.com/inside/highend-openrush/

Hiroyuki watanabe is very interesting. Kinda got that Stephan Schneider thing going.

http://www.fashionsnap.com/collection/hiroyuki-watanabe/2015-16aw/

Edited by herpsky

I stay in Shinjuku because its easy from the south exit, no navigating the maze to get to\from trains\narita express\shinkansen .  Dont have to deal with ppl giving me dirty looks on the local lines because of my 150lbs of my giant rimowas, and screaming baby.

shinjuku to stay at the park hyatt tokyo and drink tea at the peak lounge then drink "whatever bill murray had" at the peak bar~~

shinjuku to stay at the park hyatt tokyo and drink tea at the peak lounge then drink "whatever bill murray had" at the peak bar~~

I don't know but the only people that I know have gone to that park hyatt bar are farrin. 

P Hyatt has awesome gym. Like the only REALLY nice hotel gym I've ever seen in TKO. I just can't deal generally because:

A) Shinjuku station is traumatizing and P Hyatt is super in africa and nowhere even near the station

B) AirBnB + Ebisu/Nakame >> *

C) I think FC 50% discount is done and I'm too jewish

D) That bar is mad boring. Like I take my mom there when she's in town but I'd never go there with peeps

E) I no longer appreciate Ds in 2chome as much as I used to

AirBnB in Tokyo is the best I've seen anywhere. Tons of mad nice places. Use common sense. Book early because stuff that's available within a few weeks is usually super overpriced per unit quality. 

7 hours? smh 

Will see if there is a line tomorrow. Going to check out a coach jacket at HELLY HANSEN (lol) 

Also, any recommendations on places I can sell used eyeglass frames? Don't get that much but I have like 3 pairs now I could probably get a small bit of money for.