Russia & Stockholm

andreas

Hi,

Couldn't get enough the first time around so I'm planning to head back for Moscow plus some more interesting sites: Novgorod, Suzdal, Tver, St. Petersburg and probably Stockholm too on my way back home. Just wondered if there's any additional info out there on clubs and not-to-be-missed shops in these destinations.

Thanks!

Hi,

My focus would be Swedish / Scandinavian design shops and as I like local fashion flavours, could you recommend any local brands with outlets in Stockholm? Can't imagine Stockholm being deplete of interesting places...*

Andreas

* Obviously a tourist's opinion

Hi,

My focus would be Swedish / Scandinavian design stores and as I like local fashion flavours, I’d be interested in local fashion brands and/or quirky stores as well...

Andreas

apologies for delays -- i forgot to follow up. it's been a bank holiday in sweden as well, so here goes:

as for interior, i've mentioned galleri asplunds (sibyllegatan, Östermalm) as the best place to start for local as well as international designers - they represent prominent figures like jonas bohlin, thomas sandell and ruune+koivisto. R.O.O.M on Kungsholmen is the vanguard of swedish middle class furnishing (oak wood til you drop. However, it's largest furnishing store in the city). Nordiska Galleriet (representing Cassina, Knoll, Fritz Hansen and many others) on Sibyllegatan (Östermalm) is where you should be able to find exactly the same stuff you can find in any metropolis of this planet. Other smaller stores worth mentioning are franchises like DesignTorget (gifts/interior/books and some clothing -- special local swedish designers fashion section in their Södermalm store) - kind of funkier version of the Conran Store on 5-6 locations with a flagshipstore in Kulturhuset; Granit is the Swedish equivalent to Muji - flagshipstore on Hötorget.

As for local fashion, I would start checking the two different shopping "hubs" you'll have; The first, around Stureplan on Östermalm where you find stores like Jus (local designers mens+women, Banérgatan), Paul & Friends (handling Paul Smith, Marc Jacobs, Prada, Helmut and their own line, Grev Turegatan), J Lindeberg, Filippa K and Anna Holtblad (all three local swedish brands on Grev Turegatan), Bruuns Bazaar (danish simpler look, nybrogatan) and international franchises of Gucci, LV alongside local streetwear producers WE and smaller boutiques like ABCD (Dior, Valentino) on Birger Jarlsgatan. Not too far away from there you'll also find the NK department store where you also find many Swedish stores-in-stores for Acne action jeans, Filippa K, Paul & Friends, Tiger, J Lindeberg, Holtblad, Ordning & Reda + Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren or whatever's popular with the aspiring suburban middle class. A good place to start.

The second major shopping area is found on Södermalm where you find street-ier items (there's even a block which goes under the name SoFo, South of Folkungagatan, inspired by New York's SoHo). There are two new malls "c/o sthllm" (skincare, haircare) and Bruno (where you will find We, David design) in former artists lofts where locals were evicted to be replaced by macchiato sipping bores. Few blocks away from this busy shopping street you will find Bric a Brac, sort of modest Filippa K-like clothes for men + women but significantly better quality. In before mentioned SoFo, you'll find Sneakerstuff (the best collection of sneakers in northern europe, although there's a smaller offshoot on Östermalm -- try Boutique Sportif nextdoors too), Tjallamalla, TwistTango, Holmlunds, Neu (all local designers, mostly for women).

And don't forget to drop by my office in Stockholm's only skyscraper (buildings that alter the skyline are prohibited by law)...