Levi's 501 - a visual guide

Paul T

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, I couldn't find it so quickly and the LS&Co site seems to be down, I'm sure it's somewhere on here though.

But I was wondering when exactly Levi's started moving production out of the States and by when nothing was done made in the US anymore?

Reason of me asking was seeing a pair of 501 (in a very tiny size) while thrifting today that said made in the US but didn't seem to be interesting in any other way , interesting?

RE: the 'guarantee' - I saw a HUGE coffee table book at the lex ave levis store a couple of months back that mentioned someone back in like the 50s trying to pull apart a pair of levis with two horses, with great success. They returned the torn jeans and levis actually refunded their money! It's been a while since I read it so my recollection of the details of this anecdote may be somewhat off, but you get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody in NYC should stop by the Levis store on 14th, in the vestibule they have a pair of late 20s-early 30's 501's that were owned by a rodeo rider (they note where the spurs tore up the back of the hems). And a pair of '44's with victory button and no paint left on the back pockets. They are in a glass case and you can see both sides of the jeans, very cool.

I think they are the real deal, I stole the pics along with these for an s506 from a japanese online vintage store the name of which escapes me. Note the seam down the middle panel on the back that doesn't appear on the replica.

leviss506od4.jpg

levis1939501ys8.jpg

Apologies if these 1939 501s were lifted from any one on this forum. They are magnificent, The uneven arctuates are just the sort of detail I'd like LVC to look at and take note of.

http://www.edit.ne.jp/~chop/index.html

The shop is called Tomahawk-chop, they still have the odd piece for sale

Guest declasse

thanks paul t. i wanted to go a little slimmer than the 47s. from what ive been reading here on sufu it seems the cuts change from season to season. hopefullly this rob fellow can help me

I don't think the cuts change from season to season - some jeans are sized smaller than others but that tends to be consistent (apart from with the washed jeans, which can vary a lot).

Everything tells me the 66 is slimmer, but I don't own a recent LVC pair, so it's worth hanging around for someone who has.

i've heard that mr. mcqueen was so fit conscious he would go threw as many as a 100 pairs of jeans until he found one that fit perfect wear that pair for a few months and then repeat the performance with a new pair.

I reckon it has to be the 55 cut - just worn tight. They do make great skinny jeans if you wear them actual size. Maybe Steve sat in the bath with his. It's possible there were extra fit changes, it's somethign I'd like to find out about.

im pretty close to ordering the 66. if not the sized down 55 mod look sounds good too.

I'm also looking for a "mod" looking 501 (that I intend to shrink in the bath!). I guess the 55 would have been worn by Mods ('63-'65) but always wondered if GI's might have sold on the '47 501s.

Have avoided the '55 as I don't want the baggy anti-fit but the size down and shrink to fit tip is great (as of course is the entire thread - I'll add to the thanks to the venerable Paul T here).

I have the Lee "Beatles" 101z but it's gotta be 501 for the authentic Mod vibes methinks.

I shrank a pair of 501's raw in 1980 that I then bleached to get a quick fade that looked superb (had more than one person ask me how I did it) that I have been looking to replace for a long time. Finally got into the notion of repro denim and am also keen on a pair of Blue Bells sometime.

Looked at the '55 501, the '67 505 and the '67 501 but of late was drawn to the apparent slim fit of the '47's. I reckon the real secret is pre-shrunk non-sized up and a long warm bath in 'em regardless of what model (aside of course from anything sanfordized).

Guest declasse
I have the Lee "Beatles" 101z but it's gotta be 501 for the authentic Mod vibes methinks.

I shrank a pair of 501's raw in 1980 that I then bleached to get a quick fade that looked superb (had more than one person ask me how I did it) that I have been looking to replace for a long time. Finally got into the notion of repro denim and am also keen on a pair of Blue Bells sometime.

Looked at the '55 501, the '67 505 and the '67 501 but of late was drawn to the apparent slim fit of the '47's. I reckon the real secret is pre-shrunk non-sized up and a long warm bath in 'em regardless of what model (aside of course from anything sanfordized).

that quick bleach fade thing sounds like it could be interesting, maybe on a pair of 20 dry jeans someday. got any pics of the ones you bleached?

i got the 47s recently and they are my favorites so far, almost want to get another pair, thats why im looking at the 66501 and 67505. as far as soaking in the tub, ive done it before and it works. currently i wash inside out in the washer with warm water, dry. wash again and then dry, that gets them as shrunk as you can.

I have just compared some 1947s with 1966s (both 2003-2004, both *cough* 36/36) and can honestly say that there is very little difference except in the rise- the 66 being lower. The 66 are maybe 1cm wider in the thigh tapering to the same width hem.

I suppose if you are looking for a more authentic early '60s mod look the 55 sized down would be the one, or you could trawl ebay for some 551Z