what district should i book a hotel in london?

OhSoStylish

i am going to london for the first time in 16 years (me and my family were there when i was 3) so needless to say i don.t really know anything about what districts are the trendy ones, or where all the clubs, restaurants, or shops are. i would like to stay in a more hip neighborhood, but i am there for 6 days so i would like to devote a day or two to being touristy. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Some call it being conceited, I call it seeing the truth.

old street, shoreditch are where a lot of the good clubs are, but the decent shops are all around the west end/soho ...

old street/shoreditch/hoxton/east end is a bit rough around the edges (but that's what makes the nightlife better - i lived in the area for two years and there is loads to do)

where ever you decide, remember the underground is pretty good (despite all the moaning about it) and will get you everywhere you need/want to go - well, at least up until midnight

i have only heard good things about the sanderson and st martins lane hotels - but think they are pretty pricey ...

hope that helps

cue is right. east london is the best place for nightlife. also depends on the music you're into. HERBAL on the kingsland road is pretty reliable. as for tourist sites, again, depends what you and you're folks are into, but on a good day, the LONDON EYE is popular.

above mentioned former ian schrager hotels (saunderson, st martins lane) are both central but nothing particular or spectacular, service/facility/amenities-wise. you're probably better off with the somewhat recently opened soho hotel or its sister hotels, charlotte street hotel or covent garden who are across the street from the schrager hotels respectively.

personally i chose my lodging based on what-where my arrends are - if you're going to do the usual shopping, you'll find all of them above pretty convenient - i've also stayed at no5 maddox st twice last year which is literally around the corner from bond st but have a front door receptionist policy of a catholic monestary.

metropolitan is not aging very well, and offer last minute rates and walking distance to both mayfair-bond st and knightsbridge. also, i'd stay out of east end hotels ie grand eastern because well... it's far from everything else if you're there for the first time in years, you're better off with those half way there, like one aldwych on the strand which also offer a decent indoor pool.

If you have the money, stay at the Great Eastern Oriental in Shoreditch. It's a great hotel in a great neighborhood. On the less expensive end, try MyHotel (google the website) in either Bloomsbury (which is very west) or Chelsea. Check out www.tablethotels.com for more boutique hotel listings in London.

While in Shoreditch, check out Vice Magazine's pub - called the Old Blue Lass (near Old St.)