NYC Hotels

Marcus

I'm going to NYC for a week and need a good hotel to stay in. Preferably in the middel of town where I can walk to the shops and feel the timesquare atmosphere. I like good service and nice rooms where I can relax. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

- -----

What kind of budget are you looking at?

There aren't really any shops near Times Square, and the ones on Fifth Ave + 57th St or on Madison Ave are all just brand whore, chain stores like Gucci, Gucci dog, Gucci sport, Gucci abused housewife etc...

I suggest you stay downtown closer to SoHo, the LES, Tribeca etc...

I like W Hotel. There is a branch on Times Square and one just off of the Fifth Ave neighborhood.

However, I suggest you go with the one on Union Square, it's halfway between said neighborhoods and downtown. It's also incredibly convenient to most subway lines you will probably be using, like the 4,5,6,N,R,F,V,etc...

And if budget is no concern, I suggest 60 Thompson, the Mercer Hotel, the Tribeca Grand they are all in the middle of SoHo and they will all make you feel like a celebrity or a spoiled trust fund kid or both. However, I've never heard anything good about the SoHo Grand, I suggest you avoid that one.

Check the SuperFuture hotel reviews for NY, they are pretty good, can can give a much better description than I ever could.

Hope this helped.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

I gave you the wrong link:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/vac/

Yeah, it's about a bed in the right neighborhood. Last week I was in town by myself to meet friends (if that makes sense.) The place I rented was on Mott & Houston, with shops and bars and metro all within a couple of blocks. It had a couch too, so a couple of nights a friend who lives in the city crashed with me just because it was easier than trying to get back uptown at 3 am.

good luck

- -----

I have nothing against Hotel Gansevoort either.

I guess it's more of an emotional reaction to seeing how it is the posterchild and culmination of the destruction of the once gritty meatpacking district.

I remember going four years ago and there were still prostitutes walking around Washington St and I remember drinking with meatpackers after work in Hogs + Heifers before it became an office yuppie theme bar. All of that is long gone, now the prostitutes are fag hags in 4" Gucci stilletos and the meatpackers are european and progressive american tourists out to look to slum it in the overpriced district.

Sorry I'm ranting here, but yeah the Gansevoort is a nice hotel if you can afford it.

- ------

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

whoever recommended w union sq or other location never stayed at a w - it's like being locked inside a vending machine. i particulary don't like the hotels where everything is for sale and they'll try to charge you for something by anyone's standard should be part of common hospitality - it's not a question of money, just decency.

the rooms are below par, poorly refurbished/furnished and basic stuff like water and ventilation never works. the knowledge and enthusiasm of the consierges are questionable. all surface, no real hoteliers.

same criticism apply for the grand-chain (soho and tribeca) and the new comers into the business, such as the maritime hotel - who, in my opinion, shouldn't be in the business - likewise for the rivington and other ex-banker-cum-lower east side developers who knows nada about hotels. the gansevoor in mpd seems to be an exception to this rule. i stayed there quite recently and the roof top pool is kind of amusing.

my favourite downtown-ers will always be 60 thompson and mercer hotel, despite/thanks to their location.

If you wanna stay in Time Square and NOT spend a lot of money, check out www.hotelqt.com. It's Andre Balaz's new hotel (yes, the guy who has The Standard LA and The Mercer and Chateau Marmont.) The rooms start at $125 (only 250sq ft, but very cool looking.) There is even an indoor pool in the bar!

Want more boutique hotel options? Check out www.tablethotels.com for just about every major city around the world.