385 replies to this topic

#31 melvynlim

melvynlim

bored

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • joined 18 november 05

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

thanks for all the recommendations. got reservations at Shinsaibashi. now comes the wait...

#32 Ryan

Ryan

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,617 posts
  • joined 22 january 05

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

i would suggest trying to find a website that has a map for the hotel i dont think there is one on asiarooms, but just to plan ahead cuz after you get out of the train its a little ocnfusing but once you get your bearings its a breeze =)

#33 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

Quote:

Osaka is one of my favorite cities! Lots of capsule hotels and cheap places in the southwest. Check out the hotels near club i-to-i, easily the BEST club in all OSAKA. Hip-hop is gangsta there! Doberman Inc, D-ST Entertainment, etc. The place produces the best hip-hop acts/groups in all Japan. Plus the import scene there is straight fire. People are waaay friendly, mostly cuz Kansai-jins are just like that. Kanto-jin have more the jerk factor. Although the girls tend to be louder and more aggressive than Tokyo girls. Plus, Hanshin Tigers! Ah man, I need to go back there....
--- Original message by djrajio on Nov 18, 2005 05:00 AM

Dude are you white cus me and my family have experienced nothing but the opposite. From what we've seen if they think you're from Tokyo, or Kyushu(They can tell by the way you speak or dress), people are just straight up assholes. And we have friends and family in Osaka and they all said that people are just like that in general to "outsiders." I guess Osaka people in general have a different mindset than the rest of Japan. Like I one friend from Osaka who thinks it's rude that Tokyo people won't reveal how much they make when asked that question.

#34 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:33 AM

Uh. no. I studied in Kyoto university for a semester last spring. And I'm Asian. Based on my experience Kansai people are way friendlier than Kanto. But alas, there are assholes anywhere you go. I don't think its location specific.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#35 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

Quote: The best thing to do is go to a JTB there. I went to Osaka and they hooked me up in some crazy nice business hotel right in the heart of everything and it was super cheap. We came from Tokyo with no reservations and they hooked it up on the spot. I highly recommend it.

Absolutely the same thing happened to me In Hiroshima. I ws travelling on a rail pass for a couple months and I'd been staying in Capsules and Ryokans since I left Tokyo, but hooked up with a girl who came and met me in Hiroshima. I got there a day early to do all the tourist stuff and went to the JTB at the station office the day before to ask about somewhere cheap to stay that night, but mentionedin conversation that my lady friend was joining me the next day and I'd want somewhere a bit plush to stay when she arrived. When she did arrive the next day, we went back and found that without asking me or taking any deposits the woman on the desk had left reservations for me at a place, so we headed over and ended up with a beautiful room in a incredible boutique hotel for ¥5000 a night.

#36 melvynlim

melvynlim

bored

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • joined 18 november 05

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

hi guys,

i'm in Osaka.¡@¢Ò¢÷¡@¢ý¡@¢ó¢ö¢÷£@¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢ö¢é¢õ¢í¢û¡@¢÷¢î¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢û¢ü¢ú¢í¢í¢ü¢û¡@£@¢ð¢í¢ú¢í¡@¢ñ¡@¢ë¢é¢ö¡@¢î¢ñ¢ö¢ì¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢û¢ð¢÷¢ø¢û¡@¢õ¢í¢ö¢ü¢ñ¢÷¢ö¢í¢ì¡@¢é¢ê¢÷¢þ¢í¡H

¢â¢ð¢é¢ö¢ó¢û¡I

#37 vinc3

vinc3

semibored

• Pip
  • 79 posts
  • joined 06 november 03

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

how was osaka? i'll be there march 10-17... whats good during that time? any and all suggestions would be great. restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, touristy places, hidden nooks and crannies, anything at all... thanks.
SPECTACULAR YES!

#38 melvynlim

melvynlim

bored

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • joined 18 november 05

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

most of the good shops are located at Kita Horie. Ask arnd for directions when in Osaka, once there, go into the first shop you'd know and pick up this little booklet that lists all the shops, bars, eateries in that area. Oh yeah, written in English for Gaijins like us.

#39 vinc3

vinc3

semibored

• Pip
  • 79 posts
  • joined 06 november 03

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

thanks for the tip... do you remember what booklet was called? i guess it should be pretty easy to spot. any cultural recommendations? osaka castly maybe, though i hear it really isn't that great.
SPECTACULAR YES!

#40 Ryan

Ryan

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,617 posts
  • joined 22 january 05

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:46 AM

Quote:

thanks for the tip... do you remember what booklet was called? i guess it should be pretty easy to spot. any cultural recommendations? osaka castly maybe, though i hear it really isn't that great.

--- Original message by vinc3 on Feb 28, 2006 11:24 AM

Eat okonomiyaki and takoyaki... osaka is known for that stuff..

#41 melvynlim

melvynlim

bored

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • joined 18 november 05

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Dun remember what it's called... You'll spot it easily though. Small pocket sized booklet. Found it in Hysteric Glamour.
Around the corner of the huge APPLE store, you'll find this cafe called Planet 3-d. Great place, food and service.

Recommend:
Take a train to this town called Mino. Right next to the Mino station, look up and you'll see the Mino hotel up on the mountain. Try hiking up 3.6 km to the top to see a huge natural waterfall. There's also a public Onsen (hot springs) in the hotel.
Check out this video I made on the way there on the train.

http://2manydesigners.net/japan.htm

#42 xcoldricex

xcoldricex

superfuture6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,154 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:26 AM

i'll be there for a month or a little longer in juneish
===============================================
叉冷饭叉 fine goods:
Linea, Lmaltieri, Gustavolins, Y's, UC, and more... // Julius, Number (N)ine //

#43 Ramzz

Ramzz

bored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • joined 09 april 06

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hi all...we will be in Osaka In may for 7 night. We would like to know what spots to hit for night life (girls), Shopping, good fast food. We will be staying at the Hilton Osaka. Thanks.

#44 xcoldricex

xcoldricex

superfuture6

• 5,154 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:02 AM

is there an osaka map in the works? i'd be willing to help with it, but i'm probably going to be rather busy this year.

#45 show_N_pruv

show_N_pruv

superbored

• Pip
  • 218 posts
  • joined 01 december 04

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

I have an overnight layover in Osaka. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced (no more than $150 US) hotel nearby?
big in Japan.

#46 greentea

greentea

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • joined 07 march 06
  • talents:????????

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

go ask coldrice he just left osaka.
[URL="http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17917&highlight=gts+stuff"][/URL]

#47 show_N_pruv

show_N_pruv

superbored

• Pip
  • 218 posts
  • joined 01 december 04

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

grazie.........
big in Japan.

#48 Kasper

Kasper

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,838 posts
  • joined 09 january 06

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

i guess you means Kansai airport since i believe Osaka airport is not used for international flight anymore. the airport in built on a man made island in the middle of the bay so there is no hotel next to the airport (according to my memory and the airport's website). your best bet would be to take the train till naeba station and then get a hotel there. there will be hundreds of choices within your price range

#49 show_N_pruv

show_N_pruv

superbored

• Pip
  • 218 posts
  • joined 01 december 04

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:18 AM

merci......
big in Japan.

#50 Kasper

Kasper

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,838 posts
  • joined 09 january 06

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

de rien...

#51 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

Stay out until 5 am partying, catch the subway to city centre, spend the night in a capsule.......rinse, repeat.

#52 show_N_pruv

show_N_pruv

superbored

• Pip
  • 218 posts
  • joined 01 december 04

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

unfortunately my baggage will include my old lady. if I were out there with the homies, I would be spending the $150 on a hooker instead.
big in Japan.

#53 eeb

eeb

bored

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • joined 05 october 06

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

I'm looking for a place to stay in Osaka for one night only. A location near good shopping or with interesting/new design... I'll only be there for an afternoon and morning.

#54 xcoldricex

xcoldricex

superfuture6

• 5,154 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

http://www.angelo-jp.com/index.html :)
叉冷饭叉 fine goods:

#55 purplerocket

purplerocket

superbored

• Pip
  • 260 posts
  • joined 27 january 06

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:49 AM

I've been searching SF for maps of Osaka, did the maps for Osaka get completed?

#56 xcoldricex

xcoldricex

superfuture6

• 5,154 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

osaka is really great compared to tokyo. everyone is friendly, and people even make eye contact with you on the train!

for shopping, check out amerika-mura (america village) for all the osaka kids, umeda, shinsaibashi, and namba. all the regular shops are scattered around.

make sure you eat okonomiyake and tako-yaki. i am addicted to okonomiyake sauce.

for hotels, i just found business hotels in some of the interesting areas. easy to find.

and if you are going to osaka, make sure you make a day trip to kyoto. it really is stunning.

english is everywhere.
osaka is easy to get around.... not as crazy as tokyo.
you could almost walk everywhere.

i like osaka.

quoted for truth.

for hotels- stay in love hotels! i offered to help make osaka maps awhile back- there was no response - i guess they had them made already.
叉冷饭叉 fine goods:

#57 thomas_highstreet

thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05
  • style:exotic
  • attitude:hater

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

good thread, im currently deciding whether to push for my art scholarship in tokyo or osaka, in many ways im thinking osaka!

any more info on the wonderful city?

i know shit loads about tokyo, but stil in the dark with its counterpart.

whats a good residential area to look for apartment in?

thanks

#58 xcoldricex

xcoldricex

superfuture6

• 5,154 posts
  • joined 05 december 04

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:27 PM

osaka! i liked osaka a lot more than i liked tokyo - people were friendlier, the city has a better atmosphere, you can bike/walk around the city easily, shopping was better...

i was lucky enough to squat in someone's place for a month so i didn't really do an apt. search - but basically anything around/inside the loop line would be fine - i stayed in taisho and i could bike to umeda, namba, shinsaibaishi, etc.

cons: transportation is more expensive than tokyo (so walk/bike instead).
叉冷饭叉 fine goods:

#59 ninjapie

ninjapie

superbored

• Pip
  • 379 posts
  • joined 24 october 06

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

I liked the We Go store in Osaka, friendly people working there and a really really cute girl.

#60 thomas_highstreet

thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05
  • style:exotic
  • attitude:hater

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

awesome!

i was going to get a push-bike in tokyo anyway, but i guess it'd be more handy in osaka..

could you give me the low down on the decent areas there? the district names so i can figure out the proximities i need and stuff?

thanks mate..

t..

p.s. jacket?

osaka! i liked osaka a lot more than i liked tokyo - people were friendlier, the city has a better atmosphere, you can bike/walk around the city easily, shopping was better...

i was lucky enough to squat in someone's place for a month so i didn't really do an apt. search - but basically anything around/inside the loop line would be fine - i stayed in taisho and i could bike to umeda, namba, shinsaibaishi, etc.

cons: transportation is more expensive than tokyo (so walk/bike instead).