The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

how exactly do you get internships? more importantly, how do you get into good internships?

im totally clueless, and so is everyone within a 500 foot radius of me.

Are you talking about fashion / entertainment related internships or internships in general?

As far as business-related interships go e.g. investment banking, finance, or whatever,

you can go to career fairs hosted by your university.

FYI, I went to a university with a good undergrad business program.

My friends who got jobs at top firms like Goldman Sachs, Lehman, Bear Sterns, and etc all had interships during the summers between 2nd and 3rd year + 3rd and 4th year. The first intership tends to be one of those things where you just get used to the corporate environment and do nothing major. It doesn't even have to be at a really well renowned firm. The one you do between 3rd and 4th year is the one that matters a lot.

I don't do business so I can't give you the details but going to career fairs is a good option.

If you go to a shitty university where no representatives from major corporations do info sessions / career fairs, you are out of luck...

Are you talking about fashion / entertainment related internships or internships in general?

As far as business-related interships go e.g. investment banking, finance, or whatever,

My friends who got jobs at top firms like Goldman Sachs, Lehman, Bear Sterns, and etc all had interships during the summers between 2nd and 3rd year + 3rd and 4th year. The first intership tends to be one of those things where you just get used to the corporate environment and do nothing major. It doesn't even have to be at a really well renowned firm. The one you do between 3rd and 4th year is the one that matters a lot.

I don't do business so I can't give you the details but going to career fairs is a good option.

If you go to a shitty university where no representative from major corporations do info sessions / career fairs, you are out of luck...

thanks for the info.

i was just talking about internships in general, because im not entirely sure what direction i want to take.

i plan on transferring to a certain prestigious school, so i want to stack up as much ECs as i can.

If you go to a shitty university where no representative from major corporations do info sessions / career fairs, you are out of luck...

so i guess i'm out of luck? :o :o :o

it seems pretty difficult to get into the consulting firms, e.g. Mckinsey, BCG, Bain & Co., etc

anyone got a contact?

If you want to work at Mckinsey, you basically have to go to an Ivy League school.

studying my ass off so I can get into undergrad bschool so I can go to wallstreet so I can make big bucks so I can end up killing myself at 30 dut to massive stress.

Haha when you're in school and broke as hell coming out to a wall street/investment banking job making 120k sounds like the most baller shit ever. All my friends who were engineers or business (failed outta engineering) were trying to get this. The ones who did get it are the most miserable ppl I know right now.

thanks for the info.

i was just talking about internships in general, because im not entirely sure what direction i want to take.

i plan on transferring to a certain prestigious school, so i want to stack up as much ECs as i can.

It's not that hard dude. What industry do you want to work in? What are the companies that you could see yourself working for in the future? See if your school is an affiliate of their internship programs. Consult internship/job boards, or Monstertrak, send out resumes to specific departments at said companies, try Craigslist even. Talk to friends who might know random people at companies you'd like to work for, talk to faculty, talk to your family.......

If you want to work at Mckinsey, you basically have to go to an Ivy League school.

Or your dad works there. It isn't even just Ivy Leaguers, in most instances, it is the best of the best of the Ivy Leaguers. However, there are always exceptions. There are kids who graduated from Texas Christian Tech. in bumfuck nowhere who land jobs at GS, McKinsey, Bain, etc. but they are VERY far and few in between.

Or your dad works there. It isn't even just Ivy Leaguers, in most instances, it is the best of the best of the Ivy Leaguers. However, there are always exceptions. There are kids who graduated from Texas Christian Tech. in bumfuck nowhere who land jobs at GS, McKinsey, Bain, etc. but they are VERY far and few in between.

I don't mean to bash on certain Ivy League schools but you will most likely need to graduate from one of the top ivys with good credentials. I doubt theyd take harvard art history majors...

I don't mean to bash on certain Ivy League schools but you will most likely need to graduate from one of the top ivys with good credentials. I doubt theyd take harvard art history majors...

You'd be very surprised. They take from extremely diversified backgrounds (in terms of majors). Check out the GS and McKinsey sites, for instance. At least half of the people listed come from non-business/quantitative majors.

You'd be very surprised. They take from extremely diversified backgrounds (in terms of majors). Check out the GS and McKinsey sites, for instance. At least half of the people listed come from non-business/quantitative majors.

tru...tht can b said bout ne of dese place just want smart kidz who r crank dat errday not rly degreez.

Other exceptions: Ross - Michigan, Haas - Berkeley and Sloan - MIT. Oh, and a couple kids from Kelley - Indiana.

I am currently studying american literature, freelancing as a writer and trying to figure out a good way to dodge the military. I just received a letter saying that I am supposed to enroll the 8th of january. Obligatory military service blows.

I know some shit head who got a job at McKinsey as a VOIP Admin, dude went to Catherine Gibbs, but he got fired 2 months later cus he sucked at his job. Then again I doubt any ivy leaguer would want to know how to manage a telephone system.

probably said dis b4 but I'm in the middle of my mechanical engineering degree in italy, after that I'm doing a masters in automotive engineering. hoping to land a nice job at lamborghini or maserati (ferrari pays shiz) afterward. meanwhile I'm participating in as many racing events as I can to get to know the right people.

FAYST.

probably said dis b4 but I'm in the middle of my mechanical engineering degree in italy, after that I'm doing a masters in automotive engineering. hoping to land a nice job at lamborghini or maserati (ferrari pays shiz) afterward. meanwhile I'm participating in as many racing events as I can to get to know the right people.

FAYST.

FAYST

FAYST

FAYST

FAYST

FAYST

FAYST lyk a lambo lambo lambo

Future:

Trip Major with Business Econ, Mathematics and Finance.

Grad School with either Financial Mathematics or MBA in Econometrics.

Try to get into the honors program for the internship at D.C

And then try to get my brother to give me an internship at UBS.

MY FUTURE IS UNSET.

currently: working for the man doing data recovery/forensic acquisitions/litigation support/whatever else they want to throw at me. the jobs alright. i've met one of my bosses once and they're all three time-zones away from me. i have my own office, etc. etc. currently going to school for core-curriculum and very undecided on what i want to do. probably going for a management degree with a minor in finance or business economics. eventually would like to just own my own firm and never work for anyone else again. find someone that i can trust well enough to operate it and then travel the world.

I am currently studying for a masters degree in tax law. I hope i am gonna invent some next level dubble dip tax planning structure and sell it to companies and earn millions. Otherwise I want to work for the mafia and helping them out wash their money!

Currently working full time until i start college next year. Majoring in Business Marketing.. 3 year program + 1 year co-op.. Going to land an internship and possibly work for a small company and work my way up to the big name companies like Nintendo or Sony or other gaming companies..

Within a few years i plan on moving to japan to pursue more business ventures