thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

Hit up Chatuchak then. Maybe Siam Square, or even the Suan Lum Night Market, although I don't remember it being that good for clothes. The main problem I'd say with finding good stuff at Chatuchak is just that the damn place is so big-I've gotten absolute shit shirts there, and I've gotten some really nice ones too. So if you find something that's just fuck-awful, just keep walking. 1400 baht will get you a lot of t-shirts either way.

Sure you CAN get shirts and such at any of the dozens of street, night, or wherever markets, but for original designs and such, hit Chatuchak or Siam Square. Platinum Mall isn't bad either, but they'll only discount if you buy 3 pieces at the stores, and most of it is woman's clothes.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Well here I am sitting in an internet cafe on sukhumvit road in Bangkok.

Arrived 3 days ago and it has been so much fun. The humidity did hit me like a mack truck but it was no way near as bad as I thought it would be.

I've managed to order all my suits and shirts etc after visiting the plethora of tailors in this city. I'm dumbfounded at just how many there are. I love the fact that you can choose from so many materials and designs and cuts and to top it all off the garment is tailored to your exact measurements for a fraction of the cost of an off the shelf item.

The traffic in this city is absolutely crazy! Tuk tuks and taxis racing everywhere, chaos at intersections and the absence of road etiquette makes every trip interesting. I was warned about the drivers taking the passenger to his associated tailor or gem stone dealer. I just never knew how adamant they are on taking you there. Yesterday we spent over 1 hour driving in circles because the taxi driver drove us to every tailor and gem stone dealer under the sun. I guess its understandable though, they do have some sort of commission for taking prosepctive customers around.

Last night we went to RCA, specifically Flix. It seemed like quite a busy night with people bumping and grinding in the hip hop section and ravers cutting and shuffling in the house area.

The pro's were all lined up against the bar eyeing for their next customer. Being the naive tourist I am I only realised this when a 'friendly' couple of girls started chatting to my friend and I. To our shock, after several minutes of interesting conversation the proposition was made to go back to the hotel and procreate. Realising that we'd been had we continued on our way onto the dance floor later.

Several hours passed and we ended up meeting up with a couple of girls that we had met in a shopping centre hours earlier. Having been first bitten and twice shy, I decided to be upfront with one of the girls but my mistake was conversing in the club under the pumping bass of the house music. My so called 'investigative skills' led me to the conclusion that these two girls were also 'pros'. After much thought and a major guilt trip from my friend I thought, screw it, she's hot, I'm horny and, I'm in Bangkok!

So I asked her to walk outside so that we could 'discuss' a few things. Straight off the bat I asked "how much". She replied for what? I said how much for sex? She exclaimed (and I paraphrase here) I'm not a f**king pro yada yada. Looking like a fool for the 2nd time that night, I spent the next hour removing the foot that was stuffed so far down my throat, it was protruding from the other orifice.

I love this place..

555 This thread needs a few pictures. Heres some of the nicer parts of bkk.

378293650fa275952eaoug8.jpg

^^ This is Lumpini Park. One of the oldest and most famous public park in Bangkok.

img2951largees0.jpg

^^This one is Amarin Shopping Mall located on Ratchaprasong, the most famous Bangkok shopping district.

picture030xh4po3.jpg

^^ This one is probably Benjasiri Park (judging from the lamp post and buildings in the background) during winter. Those pink flowers are Tabebuya or Chomphu Pantip.

picture042qo1ki7.jpg

^^Intercontinental Hotel on Ratchaprasong, just opposite Amarin.

picture069my3oa0.jpg

^^This's a sideway in front of Gaysorn Plaza shopping complex on Ratchaprasong, one of the most luxurious in Bangkok.

picture019xs5hz7.jpg

^^ Recently opened Central World shopping complex on Ratchaprasong. Claimed to be the largest lifestyle shopping complex in SEA and Hong Kong.

picture124nz8jz3.jpg

^^ Lumpini Park again

picture043na4pg9.jpg

^^ Siam Paragon, the largest luxurious shopping mall in SEA

Forget my last post... Playground and Manga will close down in January 2008. F#cked up. I was hoping Bkk gets a little bit more sophisticated in terms of style.... well back to beer, bars and b!tches.

Yeh I read something about that in the bangkok post, will try and check it out when I get back to bkk.

Just went to the half moon party at Haad Rin, it was nothing I had been to before and was a great experience. The only thing that sux is the monopolised taxi service around the island...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spent about a week in Thailand, 4 days Phuket, 3 days Bangkok.

Phuket is awesome, stayed on Patong Beach. People are really nice only if you are nice to them. Was getting a foot massage late at night when a customer ran, stripped off his T-shirt and went in to get a full body massage. I dont speak Thai but it seemed everyone in the store cursed him in Thai. Maybe he was a perverted prick coming in for seconds. I also got a full body massage on the beach. Went twice to the same lady because she was sweet. Tried talking to her but mind started to fade from the massage. Only managed to ask if she was married (she asked me where my wife was first) and said she was divorced, husband left for another lady. I didnt think much at first but I then realized she might be making the story up, loosing her husband in 2005 after the tsunami.

It was my third visit to Bangkok. Mostly shopped, MBK, Central World, night market (cant remember the name). I felt like the shop keepers had a little more attitude than the others. Maybe because they are tried of us, bargaining for unreasonable discounts.

Bangkok is a great place. Only wished I ate more tropical fruits from the men pushing carts on the streets.

Its called Suan Lum Night Bazaar, off the Lumphini MRT station.

I was told it was supposed to shut down but its still running.

You're not missing much. Everything that sold there can be found everywhere else.

The Joe Louis Puppet Theatre is there but we didn't know about till we were told to wait inside the Theatre till our table was ready. If I remember correctly, it only does one show a night starting at 8pm.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post.

I heard the same thing about Suan Lum being shut down. I guess its too popular to close.

I've been to thailand for a few months at a time and yeah, everything sold at the night bazaar can be found pretty much anywhere.

The puppet show was interesting. Its worth seeing at least once. Its basically a play with english subtitles overhead on a screen so you don't have to know thai to follow along.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm also going to thailand soon (7th till the 30th july). just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how i should take my money. i'm going to take about £700 for the 3 weeks, that should be enough shouldn't it? will i be okay taking it on my normal bank card which is a visa? are atm's freely available?

atms are everywhere, $100 US a day will see you super right, unless you are planning on staying in fancy hotels.

$25 will get you a nice-ish place each night - a big beer is $1-2, and food mad cheap...

if you are planning to travel, there is an israeli travel agent near the kho san road that does bus trips to the islands for 350 baht or something silly like that ... hmmm, can't remember the name

Guest spazzz

there is a great place on ko san towards the end (not by the irish pub though) i think it's called k guesthouse? 100bht to chang mai and 100bht to siam reap