thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

I just gor a suit cut for my engagement and had to "firmly" reiterate several times about what I wanted done: working buttons, double vents, no cuffs, etc. Jesse, the dad, will usually be more likely to "tell" you what you should want, which comes from cutting suits for the last 20+ years. If you know what you want, be direct and specific from the beginning. Two fittings are standard.

Ha hah, this is all Thai tailors, right? I swear to god you have to tell them 50 times to do something that is any different from their 80's box-suit templates. I wanted my local tailor in Pattaya to take make one of my jackets pretty slim and the guy thought I was nuts, kept saying: "this is not fashionable now".

Damn, England. You got Bangkok wired!

I like to immerse myself in the 'culture' over there. :D;)

k Toms it is then. I'm completely new when it comes to getting a tailored suit. Should I post in another thread or do u guys have some pointers? I've been told to get them to burn the fabric to test the authenticity? Would that even be necessary in Toms? It will be for work, so would it be better to get 2 or 3 button, single or double breasted? Cashmere or pure wool? I've noticed that some suits have different shaped lapels, should I take in a picture or will they have examples?

Look on Styleforum for suit info, etc.:

http://www.styleforum.net/

And yes, definitely bring an example picture of what you want. Most of their sample catalogues are Versace men's catalogues from the late 80's/early 90's and if you have them make their 'standard' suit it will likely be a little less fitted than you might like. Get a 2 button, single breasted, single vent, working button holes on the sleeves (a nice little touch which usually indicates it's a tailored suit), etc. You don't want a pure cashmere or pure wool suit. Most suit fabrics are wool/cashmere blends. Don't ask them to hold a lighter to the fabric; I've never even heard of that. Tom's is legit; go by the thread count (120's and above is standard for a suit) and the feel of the fabric. If you don't have any suits, get either a light grey, a charcoal grey, or a dark navy suit made: these are most versatile. Lastly, all suitmakers are salesman so don't let them get you 'excited' into paying whatever. $20-25 tops for dress shirts, and $300 or so for your suit.

It probably bears mentioning that aside from Analyst's guy, if you're in the vicinity of lower Sukhumvit (sois 1-30ish, I'd say?), you're going to find a metric shit-ton of tailors on the prowl out there. Display even the faintest signs of interest and you'll instantly be accosted by a shill of random nationality with a book of the aforementioned outdated Italian suits for you to buy. They're in MBK, there's a few who set up shop in Siam Square, and off to the sides of every small street that has more than a handful of tourists wandering away. The MBK and Siam Square ones tend to be much more sedate, but regardless: Stay Away. Find the guy that Analyst and England recommended, or else you'll end up with a fused, boxy suit of dubious quality. The price may be right, but you'll find the suit isn't. Or hell, ask them about getting it canvassed or something and if they look confused, run for it. That being said, enjoy!

Oh, and there's a few more leather shops on Sukhumvit around Soi 22-Siam Bootery and one other right next to it. Prices are pretty low, but the guys there are kind of surly. Also Maneesilp Handmade makes some shoes ranging from ugly as hell to pretty nice, and will do custom orders, although I'm not sure if they make one-offs (it's a problem I've had with leather goods people in Bangkok). They have one store on the ground floor in MBK and one in Siam Square. Also Tony Leather across the street from the main Jim Thompson shop if you're nearby there (or just passing by the vicinity of Patpong la-di-da).

It probably bears mentioning that aside from Analyst's guy, if you're in the vicinity of lower Sukhumvit (sois 1-30ish, I'd say?), you're going to find a metric shit-ton of tailors on the prowl out there. Display even the faintest signs of interest and you'll instantly be accosted by a shill of random nationality with a book of the aforementioned outdated Italian suits for you to buy. They're in MBK, there's a few who set up shop in Siam Square, and off to the sides of every small street that has more than a handful of tourists wandering away. The MBK and Siam Square ones tend to be much more sedate, but regardless: Stay Away. Find the guy that Analyst and England recommended, or else you'll end up with a fused, boxy suit of dubious quality. The price may be right, but you'll find the suit isn't. Or hell, ask them about getting it canvassed or something and if they look confused, run for it. That being said, enjoy!

Oh, and there's a few more leather shops on Sukhumvit around Soi 22-Siam Bootery and one other right next to it. Prices are pretty low, but the guys there are kind of surly. Also Maneesilp Handmade makes some shoes ranging from ugly as hell to pretty nice, and will do custom orders, although I'm not sure if they make one-offs (it's a problem I've had with leather goods people in Bangkok). They have one store on the ground floor in MBK and one in Siam Square. Also Tony Leather across the street from the main Jim Thompson shop if you're nearby there (or just passing by the vicinity of Patpong la-di-da).

great thanks, how long does it take for them to make a shoe for you?

Yeah im one of the lucky inhabitants of Bangkok as well. Here are some of the more street style stores listed. Its in German but they also put the addresses in these articles.

http://styledepartment.com/blog/sneaker/18/bkk-streetwear-sneaker-stores-update/

http://styledepartment.com/blog/schuhe/25/bangkok-shopping-spree/

I can recommend all places mentioned there. Preduce has also opened another store in a new mall called Esplanade Ratchada.

Anyway I wouldn't come here as mentioned before its an absolutely terrible place, just ugly chics around and all that. :D

Yeah im one of the lucky inhabitants of Bangkok as well. Here are some of the more street style stores listed. Its in German but they also put the addresses in these articles.

http://styledepartment.com/blog/sneaker/18/bkk-streetwear-sneaker-stores-update/

http://styledepartment.com/blog/schuhe/25/bangkok-shopping-spree/

I can recommend all places mentioned there. Preduce has also opened another store in a new mall called Esplanade Ratchada.

Anyway I wouldn't come here as mentioned before its an absolutely terrible place, just ugly chics around and all that. :D

Is this the same Preduce that has the skate shop in Siam Square?

Not much going on with the Esplanade, but there are a ton of "working" girls hanging out there BEFORE they start their shift in the early evening.

Ratchada is home to the top-shelf massage parlors in the city. Fishbowls, model lounges, sideline girls, etc. The works.

Another interesting place is the Huay Kwang market around the Ratchada area, which also has a ton of "working" girls hanging out, shopping and eating, AFTER they finish their shift around 12:00am (assuming they didn't catch one more for last call at midnight). Numerous noodle stands, clothing kiosks, cellphone assessories, etc. This marketplace is open like 24/7 and is absolute chaos.

Its the same as on Siam Square and hey working girls are all around. They are part of Bkk like street food but yeah you know that anyway. Where in Bkk do you live? I lived in Sathorn before and moved to a House in Nonthaburi just across the river last month. (Better air and its actually quiet at night)

Another interesting place is the Huay Kwang market around the Ratchada area, which also has a ton of "working" girls hanging out, shopping and eating, AFTER they finish their shift around 12:00am (assuming they didn't catch one more for last call at midnight). Numerous noodle stands, clothing kiosks, cellphone assessories, etc. This marketplace is open like 24/7 and is absolute chaos.

sounds fun. i don't know why i still haven't had a western suit made in bkk or in hk... next time.

Man, this thread makes me miss Bangkok. Nothing like feeling that blast of heat as you step off the plane to let you know you've truly arrived.

I usually go 3-4 times a year, but since I returned to school my trips have had to be curtailed. Hoping to make it back again next summer.

the air is amazing when you step outside the airport